Fun, Cheap Date Ideas

Whether you’ve been married for a long time or are going out on a first date with someone new, you do not need to spend huge amounts of money to have a good time. There are many different places that you can go and things that you can do that will not drain your bank account. The secret to making sure that you both enjoy your date is not how much money you spend. The secret is to make sure that you are both having fun. Here are some fun yet cheap date ideas that I love.

Ice Skating

ice skatingA romantic and fun date idea is to go ice skating. If you live in a cold climate like I do and have outdoor skating rinks, ask your date if they would like to go ice skating. Being out in the cold is refreshing and also gives you lots of reasons to snuggle and get close to one another. You can hold hands while you are skating around the rink and relax and get to know each other.

A Day at The Beach

playing frisbeeIf you live close to the beach, like I wish I did, you can pack a homemade picnic, grab some nice beach towels and sun tan lotion, and take your date to the beach for the day. You can have lots of fun swimming, playing Frisbee and building sandcastles. Depending on the beach, you can also take a long walk along the shore while you hold hands and get to know one another.

Hiking

My husband and I live very close to the mountains and going hiking is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and have a fun date without spending much money at all (except for the gas to get there). Depending on your fitness level you may choose a moderate climb or you may choose an easy trail. Ten years ago I was able to do the moderate climbs to the top of a mountain and it felt amazing. It was very invigorating. Nowadays I prefer easy trails.  Here are a couple of the views from an easy hike we did last summer in Banff, Alberta.

bow river in banff

banff springs hotel

Chocolate Fondue

I love chocolate! Especially dark chocolate. And I love spending the evening in and sharing a chocolate fondue. This is a romantic yet cheap date idea, especially when you are first dating someone. Invite your special guy over for an evening of chocolate and fun.

chocolate fondue

To prepare I slowly melt the chocolate in a sauce pan and add in a cup of whip cream to make it smooth and easy to use as a dip. Then I pour the chocolate into a fondue pot with a lit candle under it. A candle is recommended so that the chocolate stays warm but does not burn. For dipping I cut up strawberries, fresh pineapple and bananas. Sometimes I use some marshmallows as well.

My belief is that dates do not need to be wildly expensive to be impressive. They do need to be fun. By taking a few minutes ahead of time to plan and organize what you are going to do, you can take that someone special on a  date that you will both enjoy.

What is the best, yet most inexpensive date you have ever been on?

Comments

• Michelle

Michelle 03/05/2012 5:42 p.m. #

We don't live by the beach either, but there are plenty of parks with volleyball nets around here. My husband and I love to play sand volleyball. Bringing a picnic lunch to the park and playing some 1-on-1 sounds perfect to me.

Tackling Our Debt 03/05/2012 7:01 p.m. #

That sounds like fun Michelle!

I wonder as we get older do we sometimes forget that it is possible to have fun without spending money? I think I did for a while.

Thanks for dropping by Michelle!

AverageJoe 03/05/2012 8:58 p.m. #

Wow! These are some of my favorites. I'd love to go to Banff & Lake Louise....but it's always on our list to do "next" (whenever that is). Did you love it?

A short story: we were taking your advice to go on a hike when my kids were eight years old (must have been channeling this post eight years ago....). Some hikers came along and said they could hear my son singing "God Bless America" a mile up the path. They said it was great that we had such patriotic children who loved to sing.

He was such a nice man that I didn't have the heart to tell them that my son had been singing "God Bless My Underwear."

• Kari @Small Budget Big Dreams

Kari @Small Budget Big Dreams 03/06/2012 8:58 a.m. #

Chocolate fondue, yum! We love fondue in this household, but haven't been very good about making it at home. Hoping once we get into our new place I'll be able to get all of my cooking stuff out of storage (including that fondue pot). Some of our favorites to dip are strawberries, rice crispy treats and pound cake

Tackling Our Debt 03/06/2012 10:38 a.m. #

@AverageJoe Very funny story! Made me laugh!

Hiking in Banff is beautiful and fun. If you guys ever get a chance you should make a trip out there.

Tackling Our Debt 03/06/2012 10:39 a.m. #

@Kari I know what it is like to have stuff in storage, but when you don't use things like a fondue pot everyday it makes perfect sense for it to be packed away until you have the room for it. Good luck with moving to you new place!

• Aloysa

Aloysa 03/06/2012 1:06 p.m. #

Love hiking! It is one of our favorite activities when the weather is warm. I would take a day at the beach any day! Loved the photos. Gorgeous views!

Tackling Our Debt 03/06/2012 1:25 p.m. #

You must have some beautiful views where you are as well Aloysa.

Hiking is good because it just means a road trip, where a beach means a vacation (which I am always ready for).

• American Debt Project

American Debt Project 03/08/2012 5:43 p.m. #

Lately my favorite date has been making dinner together. Setting the table, not turning on the TV, it's fun to make an occasion out of a simple event!

Tackling Our Debt 03/08/2012 6:15 p.m. #

I agree. Making dinner together can be a lot of fun. My husband and I have gotten into the habit of watching MASH while we have dinner. Not all that romantic, but we enjoy the comedy.

• Young Professional Finances

Young Professional Finances 03/12/2012 9:44 a.m. #

Great date ideas! I can't wait until the weather gets warmer - I'm definitely going to take my boyfriend to the beach when it's my turn for date-day. Even though we live pretty close to it, we haven't gone in a really long time.

My most memorable date was at the very beginning of our relationship - he packed a picnic for us with all of my favorite food and even brought a portable DVD player (no tablets at that time!) with a movie I had been wanting to watch.