What Motivates You?

what motivates youHave you ever really thought about what motivates you to do a good job either at school, at work, or within your own business?

Is your first answer money? Of course we all know that money is required if we want to be able to buy groceries, pay our mortgage or rent, and have viable transportation.

But I wonder if there isn't more to it than money?

For example would you be upset if you were promoted to the job that you had always dreamed of but didn't receive a raise in pay?

Besides money what else motivates you to be the best that you can be?

Is it important to you to receive an excellent annual review from your employer? Or to simply receive an email that says "job well done".

If your company had an employee of the month program would you be doing everything you could to win that title?

When you complete a project for a customer or a co-worker do you get upset or feel insulted if they don't say thank you?

Sense of Accomplishment

Do the final results and sense of accomplishment motivate you to do your best work on a project?

Are you the type of person that goes that extra mile on a project or assignment because you love that feeling of knowing that you did your very best work?

Your Goals

Are you motivated based on your goals or your 5 year plan?

Do you need to be making a certain amount of money by a certain point in your life?

Or, if still in school, are you motivated to do your best because one of your goals is to get the highest grades possible?

Some people are very competitive in sports and in life in general.

Do you constantly compare yourself to others and look for ways to be better than they are?

Do you find that you do your best because you love a good challenge and you feel good about yourself when you win the race or win the game?

Or do you play sports just because you enjoy it and want to have fun?

Many people view deadlines as pressure and they do not do their best work under pressure.

Others only do their best work when the know they have a tight deadline to meet.

How about you? When you are given a new project with a deadline of 2 weeks are you the type of person that begins the project right away, or do you wait until the night before to work on it?

Of course the list above does not capture all the different motivating factors in our lives.

The things that motivate each one of us are different based on our up-bringing, experiences and our personality. What motivates you to do your very best?

• WorkSaveLive

WorkSaveLive 03/12/2012 9:32 a.m. #

I would say that money rarely enters my mind when thinking about what motivates me.

I take a lot of pride in what I do - regardless of what it is - so making sure I do a great job is important to me. If something has my name on it, I want to make sure it's done well.

Recognition, accomplishment, and competitiveness also play factors. I don't need to be recognized consistently but being noticed every once in awhile is a nice thing.

If you take care of all of these things then I think the money will naturally come...at least that's what I've seen. So I don't really think about that much at all.

• Aloysa @ My Broken Coin

Aloysa @ My Broken Coin 03/12/2012 7:35 p.m. #

For me it is definitely recognition and sense of accomplishment. These two factors are not just my motivators but also my drivers. I am inspired by them and inspiration also is also one of the most important motivators. I think everyone has something that drives us to accomplish, and achieve, and try, and fail.

• Financial Knowledge

Financial Knowledge 03/12/2012 9:49 p.m. #

I have this insatiable desire to be the best at anything I do. Whether at work or at play, I stress myself out to the point of being sick. For some reason, money does not motivate me as much as my own sense of pride. I really need to work on that!

• jefferson

jefferson 03/12/2012 10:35 p.m. #

i am motivated by both recognition and sense of accomplishment as well.. but my own goals have more of an influence. i want to be a good person, a good employee, a good dad, and a good husband. these things keep me going and keep me strong, even in tough times.

• Michelle

Michelle 03/12/2012 11:09 p.m. #

Money is good, but I always like it when I'm told by my boss and others that I'm doing good. I also like a great sense of accomplishment.

• Denise @ The Single Saver

Denise @ The Single Saver 03/13/2012 9:05 a.m. #

I think my motivations change depending on my mood. Sometimes it is recognition or accomplishment. Sometimes it is cold hard cash! :) All in all, I want to know my work is appreciated. I think that drives most of us to succeed.

AverageJoe 03/13/2012 3:41 p.m. #

Great topic.

It would take half the night and a six pack of your favorite beverage to get through how I'm motivated.

I have a general fear that I'm not living up to my own expectations of "being all I can be." I'm not really worried about impressing someone else...I just don't want to die with stuff left inside.

• Daisy @ add-vodka.com

Daisy @ add-vodka.com 03/13/2012 5:34 p.m. #

At work, I'm motivated hugely by recognition. Even just a supervisor telling me that I've worked hard or did a good job, it motives me beyond imagination. I'm very self motivated, too. and competition motivated, which is a bad thing.

• CultOfMoney

CultOfMoney 03/13/2012 10:06 p.m. #

Honestly I have a bit of all of them in me at various times, but I'm probably most motivated by goals and competition, followed closely by a sense of accomplishment. I am a pretty self-motivated person.