3 Ways to Make Money in Your Own Neighborhood

People are constantly looking for ways to make more money. Even people with full-time jobs would like to make a little extra money so that they can put it towards their retirement account or towards a vacation.

Many people think that the quickest way to make money is to look for a part-time job. But what if you don’t want to commit to another job? What if you want something more flexible? Did you know that it is possible to make money in your own backyard, so to speak?

Okay maybe not in your own backyard, but what about making money in your own neighborhood? Here are 3 suggestions.

Lawn Mowing & Snow Shovelling

People lead very busy lives and the last thing they want to do after a hard week is things around the house. This is where you come in. Offer to mow your neighbor’s lawns in the summer and shovel the snow on their driveway and sidewalk in the winter.

You probably already own the tools that you will need such as a lawn mower and a snow shovel or snow blower.

Create a list of services and prices and print up some posters on your computer that you can leave on all of your neighbor’s front doors. You can offer one time prices for each service and you can also offer seasonal prices. For example you could offer to mow their lawn every week for 4 months for $640.00. I would ask them to sign an agreement that states how often you will mow their lawn and for how much. I would also ask for a deposit upfront.

make moneyPet Sitting Service

If you enjoy dogs and cats, and work well with them, why not consider starting a pet sitting service? Let your neighbors know that you are available before and after you go to your full-time job to drop by and look after their pets.

We have 2 cats and I know that every time we think about taking a vacation the first thing I worry about is who will look after our cats. I use to ask a friend but sometimes that isn’t convenient for them. Instead it would be great to find someone close to home that runs a pet sitting service.

Garage Cleaning and Organizing

How many times have you driven past a neighbor’s house and their garage door is open and you can see that it is jam packed to the ceiling with stuff? Is it because they are a hoarder or is it because they simply do not have the time or the skills to organize their stuff?

If you find that sorting through and organizing stuff is one of your skills then why not offer to clean out their garage for them? It may take you an afternoon or it may take you an entire weekend.

Again, send out flyers in your neighborhood and let them know that you offer that service and that you can drop by and give them a quote based on how much stuff they have.

So if you are looking for ways to make some money in your spare time, on your own terms, take a look around your neighborhood and see who could use your help.

Comments

• jefferson

jefferson 03/20/2012 9:01 a.m. #

Great ideas.. Especially you have kiddies who will be entering into their teen years shortly (we do)..

You could also go old school and setup a lemonade stand, I suppose.. Although we have always told our kids that they need to be having something that they are raising money *for* to have a lemonade stand.. "help me go to camp", or "help me raise money for my baseball team", or "help raise money for Haiti earthquake relief". We wouldn't let them setup a stand in our front yard so that they could raise money to buy candy or Pokemon cards.

• Modest Money

Modest Money 03/20/2012 9:27 a.m. #

Your first idea reminded me of what we would do as kids. We'd make a point of remembering which neighbours were old women and we would offer to shovel their driveaways. I guess we didn't want to waste time asking the able bodied people each week.

As for pet sitting, I have a similar problem when I think of going on vacation. With 2 cats, you always have to arrange for someone to come by and feed them. Since my cats are spoiled, I also encourage my friends to hang out with them for a while. It would be nice to have the option of using a reliable pet sitting service sometimes.

• Housewife Empire

Housewife Empire 03/20/2012 4:07 p.m. #

Good tips... I knew of the first two but the garage cleaning idea, I'd have never thought of that! I have some neighbors around me that may just take me up on that proposition later this summer. Their garages are looking ROUGH!

Tackling Our Debt 03/20/2012 4:40 p.m. #

I got some of these ideas from another gal's blog last week. Wish I could remember who.

Anyways she said that if her neighbours are willing to pay someone to do this kind of stuff for them, it may as well be her, and that she does offer to do work for her neighbours.

I could see having a teenage mow the lawn or shovel snow. For garage cleaning and pet sitting I would prefer someone older though, just cuz like @Modest Money said, our cats our spoiled as well, and I would be more comfortable knowing that someone really takes care of them well.

• Kari @Small Budget Big Dreams

Kari @Small Budget Big Dreams 03/20/2012 9:33 p.m. #

Good ideas. You already know I can personally vouch for #2 ;-) My love for animals and desire to never leave mine alone, spawned my pet sitting business. When we first got our Brooklyn we canceled two cross country trips (that were already paid for, ekk) because I couldn't bare to leave him with a sitter I didn't know.

Tackling Our Debt 03/21/2012 10:14 a.m. #

@Kari - I'm like you, I find it very difficult to leave our cats with anyone because most of the time that person won't be here and they will be alone. The few times we have been away our cats have actually been fine with sitters, but I do hesitate each time we think about making plans.

• SB @ FPR

SB @ FPR 03/24/2012 4:04 p.m. #

I just remembered our news paper delivery boy, it could be the fourth option to earn money from neighborhood.

• Darrell @ Debt and Buried

Darrell @ Debt and Buried 03/29/2012 7:28 p.m. #

An extension of garage cleaning is scrap metal recycling. Old exercise equipment, bedframes, car parts and such get a pretty penny now with commodities prices so high. You can advertise free scrap metal removal with fliers.