Do You Like Sauerkraut?

Have you ever had sauerkraut? Did you like it?

Growing up in a German \ Lithuanian household we ate sauerkraut all the time. Ham and sauerkraut, sausages and sauerkraut, cabbage rolls and sauerkraut. Both of my parents loved it and the rest of us grew to enjoy it too.

Sauerkraut is extremely low in carbs, and a few years ago I read that the ingredients in sauerkraut contribute to a healthy digestive system.

Sauerkraut is so easy to cook with, but for some reason I haven't made it much since I left home (many moons ago).

That changed yesterday. I found a great recipe online for Pork Chops and Sauerkraut. After finding an awesome deal on pork chops at the grocery store a few weeks ago I figured this holiday weekend would be a good time to make this dish. This recipe made enough for several meals. I love making one dish and eating leftovers. Don't you?

Pork Chops and Sauerkraut Recipe

pork chops and sauerkraut

Ingredients

3 cups sauerkraut, well drained

2 cups applesauce

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

6 pork chops (1 inch thick and 7 ounces each)

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions

Drain the sauerkraut first (I forgot).

In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, applesauce, broth, bacon, brown sugar and seasonings; spoon into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.

In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil; drain. Place chops over the sauerkraut mixture.

Sprinkle with paprika.

Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 each) equals 378 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 1,008 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 35 g protein.

I served it with a side of unsweetened applesauce, cuz I love applesauce.

Recipe and Image compliments of TasteofHome.

Comments

• WorkSaveLive

WorkSaveLive 04/06/2012 2:30 p.m. #

This looks delicious! I loooooooooooove sauerkraut and bratwursts!!

I'll definitely give this a try sometime soon! It might be our next meat dish!

Tackling Our Debt 04/06/2012 2:44 p.m. #

Bratwursts! Yes, bratwursts. Those go so well with sauerkraut.

• Modest Money

Modest Money 04/06/2012 3:47 p.m. #

This recipe sounds awesome. I didn't eat sauerkraut much as a kid, but I enjoy it now. And yeah apparently it's quite healthy for you. Let us know how this recipe turns out. Or did you already make it?

Tackling Our Debt 04/06/2012 4:22 p.m. #

Yes, we had it for dinner last night and again for lunch today. Let me know if you try it too?

• Kurt @ Money Counselor

Kurt @ Money Counselor 04/06/2012 9:50 p.m. #

My last name is a very German Fischer, and I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not fond of sauerkraut! But you know what, I think it's one of those things where I didn't like it as a child and just let that carry over into adulthood without ever trying it again. With your recipe as inspiration, I'm going to take a fresh taste. Thanks!

• CultOfMoney

CultOfMoney 04/06/2012 10:13 p.m. #

I've never really had Sauerkraut. From the ingredients, I think it would be tasty, but I really can't say. I may have to give it a try the next time I'm out out Oktoberfest.

• jefferson

jefferson 04/06/2012 10:22 p.m. #

That is some straight Germanic tastiness!
      I love all things cabbage.

Keep the great recipes coming!

• Katie

Katie 04/07/2012 8:43 a.m. #

I have never liked sauerkraut. My grandma used to make me eat on New Years Day for "good luck." The rest of family likes it, I've just never been to fond of it.

Tackling Our Debt 04/07/2012 9:32 a.m. #

Thanks for all of your replies!

When I made it this weekend I knew it wasn't something that everyone eats, that's why I posted this question.

I think Sauerkraut is something you really like or you really don't.

I can completely understand why people may not like it. :-)

My sister didn't really care for it either. And as my nephews were growing up my mom would make it for them, and I don't think they like it either.

• Aloysa @ My Broken Coin

Aloysa @ My Broken Coin 04/07/2012 10:33 a.m. #

Yes, I looove sauerkraut. We never prepared it in our household but we would by it from the market (farmer;s market.) Usually there would be different tasting variety, and we would go around tasting it and choosing the one we liked the most. Good times! :)

Tackling Our Debt 04/07/2012 10:53 a.m. #

@Aloysa - That sounds delicious. The markets in Europe are amazing! When I was making this you were one of the first people I thought of based on your Lithuanian heritage.

• yourlifeforless

yourlifeforless 04/16/2012 8:27 p.m. #

Before I lived in Germany in 09-10 I hated sauerkraut. Then I got used to it because they eat it on a lot of things. Now if I walk into a house and smell sausage and sauerkraut on the stove my mouth starts watering!