Top Summer Vacation Spots in Canada – A New Series Begins

vacation spots in canadaWhen I initially began writing about the top summer vacation spots in Canada I had planned to only write one post to cover all of the different spots. As I wrote about each location I soon realized that putting them all into one post was going to be way too big because there is so much to write about and so many pictures to show for each location. So I decided to break this up into a new weekly series. Each week I will highlight a fascinating spot within Canada that you may wish to consider for your next summer vacation.

Summer is right around the corner. For some it may already feel like summer, depending on where you live. And with summer comes the question “so what are your plans for your summer vacation?”.

While individuals or couples may have the option of traveling any time throughout the year, most families will look to do some sort of a vacation during the summer when their children are out of school. Some may fly overseas, some may do a trip across their own country, and some may look for vacation options that are closer to home.

With the constant increase in the price of flights and the constant increases in the price of gas, sometimes it is wiser to plan a vacation that is closer to home in an effort to save some money.

For those living in Canada or close to Canada there are many summer vacation spots to choose from.

Canada has some of the most amazing beaches both on the east coast and the west coast, as well as in the interior of Canada, as there are many beautiful lakes within the interior.

You will find spots to go sight-seeing, boating, white water rafting, whale watching, fishing, camping, kayaking and stampeding. Each week we will take a look at some of the different top vacation spots in Canada that you could visit this summer.

We’ll start out on the west coast of Canada and move towards the east.

This Week’s Summer Vacation Spot in Canada

Our tour of Canadian vacation spots begins at The Butchart Gardens on the west coast of Canada in the province of British Columbia. By the way, the videos are short teasers that I hope you enjoy watching.

The Butchart Gardens

The Butchart Gardens is a family owned and operated business that Mr & Mrs Butchart began creating in the early 1900’s and it continues to be operated by their family today.

The area started out as a limestone quarry but once the quarry was exhausted, Mrs Butchart began re-designing the space into an amazing garden. Her and her husband worked together and started by creating a Japanese Garden, and soon after they added an Italian Garden as well as a Rose Garden.

rose garden

They had a collection of fine ornaments from their world wide travels and they placed them within the gardens and the ponds.

People all over the world heard about the Butchart Gardens and by the 1920s over fifty thousand people visited the gardens each year. That’s incredible!

Today the Butchart Gardens covers over 55 acres and new flowers and trees are added each year. They have also added a Christmas Light display to attract people in the winter months as well.

Currently, almost a million people visit the gardens each year.

butchart gardens

This beautiful floral garden is a huge attraction on Vancouver Island. It is located 14 miles north of Victoria. You can easily fly to Vancouver Island or you can take the Vancouver-Victoria ferry to the Island.

Watch this tranquil tour of Butchart Gardens

This is the perfect vacation spot for everyone. Your kids will truly enjoy the day.

If you live close to Vancouver Island or are ever visiting in the area, make sure to include a stop at the Butchart Gardens. You will find that you can easily spend an entire day there.

Comments

• WorkSaveLive

WorkSaveLive 04/16/2012 6:26 a.m. #

That place is pretty awesome!

The music in the first video almost made me fall asleep though! I'm down for it if I was just trying to do some yoga or relax on my back porch, but early on a Monday morning...zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ

lol

• jefferson

jefferson 04/16/2012 8:33 a.m. #

i have had many people tell me that BC is not just a great place to visit, but a great place to live.. those gardens look amazing.. that would be a wonderful place to take the camera and get some great shots.

• CultOfMoney

CultOfMoney 04/16/2012 11:04 a.m. #

My wife and I really love Victoria, and generally get up there a couple of times a year. The Butschart really is a fantastic garden, even if it's a little pricy to get in to. I really can't recommend them more. And the city of Victoria is fantastic, there always seems to be something going on from high-school band day to the highland games, to random other things I'd never think of in advance. Plus for us, it's a relatively quick (3 hour) ferry ride through some very pretty islands up to Victoria.

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 04/16/2012 12:32 p.m. #

It's been years since I last visited Canada, but I loved it. I took a week long trip to Montreal. British Columbia looks beautiful, and I would love to take a trip there.

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 04/16/2012 12:49 p.m. #

Oh, wow....they're so pretty! I need to take a Canadian vacay sometime...

Tackling Our Debt 04/16/2012 1:30 p.m. #

The garden is quite serene and mesmerizing and yes, Victoria is amazing. I've had the opportunity to do business trips to Victoria as well as fun trips. Loved them all.

@CultofMoney - I can imagine that the ferry ride from your location to the Island would be amazing.

• Katie

Katie 04/16/2012 5:03 p.m. #

I live in the US, close to Canada though (Ohio). I have several family members who take fishing trips to Canada every year and I have always wanted to go. The Butchart Gardens looks absolutely stunning. It makes me want to visit Canada even more.

• MyMoneyDesign

MyMoneyDesign 04/16/2012 6:10 p.m. #

Those pictures are beautiful! That’s what I was shooting for with re-doing my landscaping :)

Tackling Our Debt 04/16/2012 6:28 p.m. #

@Katie - I use to live in Ontario and we went to Ohio to go to Cedar Point for vacations. Have you been?

@MyMoneyDesign - :-) You definitely have the space and it looks like you are on your way with all the beautiful rock.

• Shilpan

Shilpan 04/16/2012 9:20 p.m. #

Canada is really beautiful. Years ago, I visited Ontario and I loved it. In next five years, I am going to start visiting different parts of our wonderful world. Canada is first on my list as it is so close to the United States.

• Ann

Ann 04/19/2012 8:20 p.m. #

We used to live just outside Victoria and really loved it. Our favourite time to visit Butchart Gardens was at Christmas, strolling through the gardens with all the lights and ending up with hot chocolate and shortbread in the cafe afterwards. Every weekend during the summer there are fireworks as well which are very popular. Well worth a visit!

We now live in the Kootenays, also in BC and it is spectacular in its own way. We have lots of snow in the winter, so snowsports are popular. In the summer the area is popular for mountain biking, hiking or going to one of the nearby lakes.

British Columbia is a beautiful province with lots of different types of scenery to be enjoyed. Come visit!

Tackling Our Debt 04/19/2012 8:28 p.m. #

@Ann - Thanks so much for dropping by! Yes British Columbia is very beautiful, both on the Island and every where else.

I've been to the gardens in the Spring, but I have to say that up until the time that I researched this post, I wasn't aware of the fact that they were open for Christmas.

I would love to visit the gardens at Christmas with all of the lights. It sounds so magical.