Top Summer Vacation Spots In Canada – Fishing in Saskatchewan

fishing in saskatchewan map

Let's Go Fishing in Saskatchewan

Do you like to fish? Do you prefer day trips or do you enjoy combining your fishing trip with a camping trip? This week's stop on our tour of top summer vacation spots in Canada is the province of Saskatchewan. The province of Saskatchewan is famous for its freshwater fishing trips because of the fact that it has close to 100,000 lakes and rivers covering almost 1/3 of the province, as well as a large number of fishing lodges for people to choose from.

fishing in Cowan Lake, Saskatchewan

Cowan Lake, Saskatchewan – Image Source Prairie Outdoors.

Types of Fish You Can Catch in Saskatchewan

• Northern Pike
  • Walleye
  • Lake Trout
  • Arctic Grayling
  • Rainbow Trout
  • Brook Trout
  • Yellow Perch

Weather in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan is known as one of the sunniest places in Canada. In May the temperatures usually hover around 15 C or 60 F, but by July it can be as hot as 30 to 34 C or 90 – 95 F. Of course every summer is different, but typically July and August are the hottest months of the year in Saskatchewan.

fishing in saskatchewan

Fly-in Fishing Trips

One of the most popular fishing trips is a fly-in trip to Northern Saskatchewan where you can catch Northern Pike and Walleyes. For this particular trip you would fly by floatplane from Otter Lake to a remote camp known as Pine Island Resort. This location is setup with beautiful rustic cabins, as well as a main lodge with a dining room. You can bring your own food for your trip or you can dine in the main dining room.

People travel to Saskatchewan from all over the world just to go fishing. Some people do a week long group fishing trip every year. They often book their accommodations well in advance, especially if they intend to do a fly-in fishing trip.

If you enjoy fishing and you haven't booked your summer vacation yet, why not book a trip to Northern Saskatchewan and go fishing this summer?

Readers: What are your summer vacation plans?

• WorkSaveLive

WorkSaveLive 04/30/2012 5:48 a.m. #

I like to fish but I'm not sure I can plan a trip to Canada just for that! :)

My dad went to Canada a few years back to go bear that sounds like a better bang for my buck!

• Daisy

Daisy 04/30/2012 9:12 a.m. #

The boyfriend loves fishing, and has never really been to another province other than BC (where we live). I've tried to convince him to go on a roadtrip with me to Manitoba and stop in Saskatchewan but I don't think that's going to happen. I should show him this post!

Tackling Our Debt 04/30/2012 9:48 a.m. #

Yes, let him take a look. BC has a ton of beautiful lakes, as well as being close to the ocean for fishing, but it is great to see how nice the rest of Canada is as well.

• Modest Money

Modest Money 04/30/2012 10:23 a.m. #

I used to go to Saskatchewan every other summer as a kid to visit my grandparents. It's been a while since I was last out that way though. I didn't realize it was so popular for fishing though.

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 04/30/2012 12:26 p.m. #

I've never been fishing in my life, but would love to try it to see what the hoopla is all about. I feel like I've missed out on a lot.

For people to come from all around the world to visit Saskatchewan just for the fishing, it must really be a great fishing location. This is yet another vacation spot that I must visit within the Canadian border. Thanks, Sicorra.

Tackling Our Debt 04/30/2012 12:35 p.m. #

@Anthony - It may be a new hobby for you to consider, but it can be messy as well.
      I've only been out on a boat fishing once, but my brother is one of the many that enjoys the getting the guys together for a week and heading north for fly-in fishing.

• Katie

Katie 04/30/2012 5:37 p.m. #

I love fishing. A few of my family members go on week long fishing trips to Canada every year. This might be where they go, I'll have to ask them about that.

• Julie @ Freedom 48

Julie @ Freedom 48 04/30/2012 6:49 p.m. #

My dad was a huge fisherman - brings back lots of great memories for me. Summer fishing and winter ice fishing...what an awesome time! I've tried to get my husband to fish with me a few times - but he says he doesn't have the patience for it! I'll admit, I don't really have the patience for it either... but it makes me feel closer to my dad.

Tackling Our Debt 04/30/2012 7:02 p.m. #

@Katie - That would be interesting to hear where your family goes fishing. Very cool that you enjoy it as well.

@Julie - That is sweet that you have such nice memories of your father. And you are right, it does take a lot of patience. And I remember being told to keep quiet so as not to scare the fish away LOL

• Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter

Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter 05/01/2012 7:27 a.m. #

I grew up fishing but I don't do it anymore. There really are a ton of places in Canada to go and try out your luck. I really like the Whiteshell and Lake of the Woods. The shale rock and the clear water is really pretty.

• James

James 05/01/2012 4:41 p.m. #

When I was a kid I would bike to the local river to fish almost every day. I haven't fished in 20 years. One of my bucket list items is catching a big tuna.

• Alana

Alana 05/10/2012 11:45 p.m. #

It is beautiful up there in Saskatchewan. Makes me want to head out for a trip already!