Top Summer Vacation Spots in Canada – Touring Niagara Falls, Ontario

niagara falls ontario canada

Mesmerized by Niagara Falls

This week we are heading out to take a look at the natural beauty of  Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. With over 20 million people visiting Niagara Falls each year it is easy to see why it is one of the top summer vacation spots in Canada. As soon as you get close to Niagara Falls you will hear the incredibly loud roar of the water created by the three falls known as the Canadian Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls. These three waterfalls are what Niagara Falls is all about.

horseshoe falls

Journey Behind the Falls

How close up have you ever been to a major waterfall? With Journey Behind the Falls you can get very close by actually walking behind the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. While protected with a raincoat and a cute hat, you can follow the journey through a series of tunnels near the bottom of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. Make sure to have your camera ready so that you can take amazing pictures when you stop at the observation platforms for a better view. Elevators make it very easy to access the tunnels and the observation platform.

Spend Your Honeymoon at Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls has been known as the Honeymoon Capital of the world since the early 1800s and thousands of honeymooners visit the city each year. It is a very romantic location and many of the local hotels offer honeymoon packages. After an exciting day visiting the falls you can enjoy a relaxing dinner in the famous revolving dining room in the Skylon Tower. The revolving dining room is 775 feet above the falls and rotates 360 degrees once each hour.

niagara falls

Other Things To Do in Niagara Falls

• Try your luck at the two local Casinos. Casino Niagara and Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort. The Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort includes live entertainment, beautiful hotel rooms and excellent dining choices.
  • For lunch visit major theme restaurants including Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe and the Hard Rock Cafe.
  • If you don't get wet enough when you walk under Niagara Falls then take the family to Fallsview Indoor Waterpark for an afternoon of fun.
  • Get a better view of Niagara Falls from the indoor Skylon Tower observation deck which is 775 feet above the falls.

Niagara Falls is an excellent place to spend your summer vacation, whether you go on your own, with friends, or with family, you will have a wonderful time.

Have you ever been to Niagara Falls, Canada?

• SB @ FPR

SB @ FPR 05/14/2012 6:21 a.m. #

We visited Niagara twice so far, but on both the occasion it was from US side.

• Jason @ WorkSaveLive

Jason @ WorkSaveLive 05/14/2012 6:42 a.m. #

I've never been and I really wish to go. Although I've never seen aerial photos of it like that and it looks pretty plain around there.

I bet it's still pretty awesome though! One day...

• From Shopping to Saving

From Shopping to Saving 05/14/2012 12:33 p.m. #

Wow these pictures are breathtaking! I had no idea Niagra Falls was the honeymoon capital of the world. I thought it would be somewhere tropical! Thanks for this post - I'll look into it more...definitely on my list of to-sees!

• Vanessa

Vanessa 05/14/2012 12:38 p.m. #

Yup! I went with my family when I was a kid. We visited the Falls, went on the Maid of the Mist, went behind the Falls, went to this HUGE mini-putt place, Ripley's Believe It or Not AND to Marineland. It was probably the best vacation ever and I really want to go back now that I'm an adult and would appreciate it more

Tackling Our Debt 05/14/2012 1:17 p.m. #

@Vanessa - When I was a kid we often went to Niagara Falls when we had family visiting from overseas and my Dad wanted to show them something they had never seen anywhere before. We usually did day trips. Always loved them.

@From Shopping to Saving - There is a long history dating back to the 1800s on how it became known as the honeymoon capital, esp for people in North America. If I had kept going I would have written a book ;-). While I love going there, tropical would be on my list for honeymoons as well.

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 05/14/2012 1:19 p.m. #

I knew that Niagara Falls was a great vacation spot, but I didn't realize that so many people visit the location each year. I love the photos, and the videos are fantastic. Thank you for posting yet another nice post on vacation spots in Canada. Please, keep them coming, Sicorra.

Tackling Our Debt 05/14/2012 3:42 p.m. #

@Anthony - Yes it is amazing how many people visit there year round. I found some old pics from many many years ago when it once almost froze over. Thanks very much for the compliments!

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 05/14/2012 4:23 p.m. #

I read your about section and yes, it does sound very familiar! It's nice that you are in your 40's as well. Because it's sort of kind of closer to retirement, but there is still time to save for it! Good luck on your journey!

So when I was a kid my dad drove our family to Niagara as part of a road trip. Here is what I remember. We drove around looking for parking forever, and my dad was so pissed we actually left without ever seeing the falls! So all I saw of it was from a car! lol!

Tackling Our Debt 05/14/2012 5:34 p.m. #

@Budget & the Beach - Ahhh that is a shame that you missed the falls. Maybe one day you can go again. We went a lot as kids, but I haven't been again since. I should take my husband.

Your avatar icon is cute!

• MyMoneyDesign

MyMoneyDesign 05/14/2012 7:23 p.m. #

I get to drive by every time I go to Canada. They are absolutely beautiful! We also vacationed there once and really had a great time!

• Daisy

Daisy 05/15/2012 9:04 a.m. #

Wow, these pictures are unbelievable! I have always wanted to go to Niagara Falls - my boyfriend does, too. We've talked about making it our second Canadian trip this year, but we'll have to see.

• Jefferson

Jefferson 05/15/2012 9:11 a.m. #

We've been wanting to take a road trip with the kids up to through the northeast USA/Canada for a long time.. Niagra Falls would certainly be a big part of that trip!

Tackling Our Debt 05/15/2012 9:44 a.m. #

@Daisy @Jefferson - It really is an amazing location. If you get a chance to go I hope you guys enjoy it!!

AverageJoe 05/15/2012 7:01 p.m. #

Niagara Falls was our short-cut through Canada to the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, so I've been there a ton.

Cool town. All the fun (well, 90 percent of it) is on the Canadian side. There are some great wineries around there. That region grows some nice white wines, for wine lovers out there.

So, here's the itinerary: do a few wine tastings, grab an empty barrel and a helmet, and ....

• Amanda

Amanda 05/17/2012 1:04 p.m. #

Being a reader of the blog I really enjoyed this post because I live on the American side and the Falls are a place I go to just see the beauty of what was created. I have been to the Canadian side a few times and have to say, if you have a passport cross the border and see it from the Canadian side.

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 1:19 p.m. #

@Amanda It is interesting that you say to cross to the Canadian side. I have only been to the Canadian side, but when I was researching this post I read a few reviews from other people saying that they too prefered the view from the Canadian side as well as the surrounding parks.

Thanks very much for commenting :-)