Do Side Hustles Really Help You Make Money?

side hustle jobsWhile a side hustle may not make you rich, heck it quite likely won’t even replace a full-time income in many circumstances (depending on where you live of course), but a side hustle can be a way for you to make some extra money so that you can pay off a few bills, or take a short vacation, or save up for Christmas.

While many of us are familiar with money making options such as oDesk, Elance, Etsy, eBay, etc. I wanted to highlight some organizations that you may not be aware of. There are so many online opportunities that offer work that someone could do as a side hustle. The ones in this post are ones that I have personally checked out.

As you consider doing work with any of these organizations two of the main things that you want to look at is how much money do you need to make before they will pay you and what their payment methods are, ie: direct deposit, PayPal, cheque, etc.

Side Hustle Ideas

ClixSense

ClixSense is somewhat similar to Swagbucks in that you get paid to browse websites, play games and view ads. The difference between ClixSense and Swagbucks is that ClixSense pays cash while Swagbucks pays with points that you convert to gift cards. I personally prefer cash instead of gift cards.

taskrabbit jobs

TaskRabbit

Taskrabbit.com While TaskRabbit is currently only available in certain states in the US, it certainly sounds like an excellent way to do some side hustle work.

You can sign up and offer your services to individuals who either don’t have the time or the experience that you have with a particular task.

The services that people offer on TaskRabbit include spring cleaning, delivery services, household chores, office work, grocery and personal shopping, handyman, moving assistance, event planning, photography, catering, plumbing, electrician, IKEA assembly and a lot more. The list is quite huge.

Each TaskRabbit goes through a background check and a video interview to ensure they are qualified before they are listed on the website and able to offer their services.

Blogmutt

Blogmutt If you like to write short quick blog posts and get paid for it, head over to Blogmutt. You are paid $8 for each post you sell as soon as it’s taken by the customer. There aren’t any hard and fast rules about word count aside from the fact that it should be around 350 words.

Postloop

Postloop If you love to help people online, and chat with them in general, this option may be a great side hustle for you. Basically you are paid to participate in a variety of different forums. You answer questions as well as start new threads to generate new traffic for the forum owners. You accumulate points and then trade in your points for cash. You can also make money by commenting on the blogs in their directory.

Papercheck

Papercheck Clients submit their documents to Papercheck and then PaperCheck hires people to edit and proofread the documents. Simple and straightforward.

SheBudgets

SheBudgets is very similar to an online magazine and has quickly become quite popular. They hire writers to write short blog posts about a large variety of topics. The posts are a minimum of 300 words, and they can be based on topics that you are personally interested in, so they are very easy to write.

Each post will probably only take you about 10 to 15 minutes to write. While the pay is minimal, it can add up quickly if you are able to focus on writing one post after another without interruption. Once your post is published you also receive a pay-per-click bonus. You can increase your bonus by promoting your articles online through Twitter and Facebook.

TaskArmy

TaskArmy While work from TaskArmy could be viewed as a side hustle, this work could easily turn into a full-time job, depending on the service that you offer. What I like about TaskArmy is that you setup an ad (profile) based on the type of freelance work that you are skilled at and you set reasonable rates for the services that you offer, unlike oDesk and eLance.

Once your profile is setup clients come to you instead of you bidding on projects.

Some examples of services that you could offer on TaskArmy are SEO work, virtual assistant work, bookkeeping, logo design, web design, social media management, marketing, commenting, article writing, etc. As you complete each project the client is asked to rate your work. This helps you build up your profile with good references.

Are you or have you ever made extra money from a side hustle or side gig? What kind of work did you do?

Comments

• Jason @ WSL

Jason @ WSL 05/17/2012 6:20 a.m. #

Sicorra, you come up with some pretty unique ideas! I love the idea of side hustles but I certainly have never heard of these deals!

I wish I could get really good with taking photos and I'd pimp out my services on that TaskRabbit site. That's sounds pretty awesome!

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 10:35 a.m. #

Photography would be a fun side hustle Jason! Consider working on it more. People are always looking for photographers on the weekends for special events.

• Sean @ One Smart Dollar

Sean @ One Smart Dollar 05/17/2012 12:24 p.m. #

Side hustles for me are great but for me the effort has to be worth the payout in the end.

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 12:27 p.m. #

In your case doing side hustles through TaskRabbit and TaskArmy would be your best bet. You sell your services for what you believe they are worth.

• LifeInTransition

LifeInTransition 05/17/2012 12:43 p.m. #

Thanks for listing these. I'll have to look into each one of them more closely.

• Michelle

Michelle 05/17/2012 1:25 p.m. #

I mainly get side income from my blog. I need to find other ways!

• From Shopping to Saving

From Shopping to Saving 05/17/2012 2:02 p.m. #

Holy COW!!!! This is an amazing list, especially since I've never heard of most of these before. I always hear the typical swagbucks, mystery shopping stuff... this is awesome. I don't want to spend too much time taking surveys, etc. so this opens up new doors. Thanks so much!

• Janine

Janine 05/17/2012 2:48 p.m. #

Wow! What a great list!!! I will definitely be using this :)
      Thanks!!!

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 5:10 p.m. #

You're welcome you guys! These are definitely different from taking surveys (which I dislike as well).

Hope you find something that makes you some extra cash.

Thanks for stopping by today!!

• Kurt @ Money Counselor

Kurt @ Money Counselor 05/17/2012 6:31 p.m. #

These are fun, but I wonder if anyone's done estimates of the average hourly rate of pay for these. I might rather go fishing. :-)

• Katie

Katie 05/17/2012 6:51 p.m. #

Awesome list! I hadn't heard of most of these places before. I am always looking for a way to earn a little side income. I'm going to check out blogmutt and shebudgets.

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 05/17/2012 8:14 p.m. #

For some reason I just haven't been able to get into online surveys. It's just too much hassle to navigate through. But I just signed up for Task Rabbit. Hopefully I can pick up some extra money that way. Thanks so much for the links! BTW, are you as frustrated as I am there don't seem to be more 30-40ish something financial blogs? What's up with that? I feel we have an entirely different perspective and experience on finances. Sounds like that's a blog topic! :)

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 8:22 p.m. #

@Kurt While several of them are low pay options TaskArmy and TaskRabbit are regular paying jobs as each person decides what their rates will be just like anyone who freelances their services. Not to be confused with Elance stuff.

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 8:30 p.m. #

@Katie Good luck! I hope you find something that works well for you.

Tackling Our Debt 05/17/2012 8:44 p.m. #

@Budget & the Beach Good luck with TaskRabbit. Let me know how it goes. I really wish it was available up here. And yes I had noticed. It didn't take you very long to figure that out.

• CanadianBudgetBinder

CanadianBudgetBinder 05/18/2012 8:33 a.m. #

Can't say that I have heard of any of these opportunities but I certainly will check them out. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Mr.CBB

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 05/18/2012 2:56 p.m. #

This is such a great list, Sicorra. I've never even heard of some of these online side gigs. There are a few of them that I'm actually interested in, and will check out. Great job posting this.

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 05/18/2012 3:17 p.m. #

Ohhh...I love the new ideas! Off to hustle as we speak...

• Carrie Smith

Carrie Smith 05/19/2012 8:55 p.m. #

Some of these ideas, I haven't heard of, but they sound pretty nice! When I first started freelancing I figured it would be pretty easy to make some extra income. It definitely took longer and more work than I thought. I'm still trying to improve my side hustle skills, so thanks for the suggestions.

• eemusings

eemusings 05/20/2012 4:26 a.m. #

Interesting list!

I've done everything from focus groups and surveys to tutoring, editing, mystery shopping, and working at events (hospitality and security).

• Jai Catalano

Jai Catalano 05/22/2012 4:31 a.m. #

How do you do with Clixsense? Great post btw.

• Troy

Troy 05/22/2012 12:23 p.m. #

I followed a link posted on Canadian Budget Binder's website and I'm glad I did! Great website and great money making ideas.
      I have tried mystery shopper and online survey sites before. I never made a penny and think they were just a scam that maybe sold my email address as I started getting a lot more spam email.

• Justin @ The Family Finances

Justin @ The Family Finances 05/23/2012 11 a.m. #

Great list! I'm going to have to check some of these out. I hadn't heard of most of them.

• Housewife Empire

Housewife Empire 06/06/2012 2:33 p.m. #

Wow, ironic - I stumbled on this post in the Yakezie forums and I just published one about side hustles myself this morning. You've listed some sites I was not aware of -- I'm actually going to check out a few now! Thanks!