Tips That Will Help You Live a Better Life

Today we are not going to talk about ways to make more money or ways to save more money. We are not going to think about budgets or how to buy more for less. Sometimes it is good to take a break from thinking about money, whether or not we have a lot of money, or too little money. Today we are going to talk about the simple things that each of us can do each and everyday to live a better life and be happy.

live a better life

Tips to Live a Better Life

1. Never laugh at anyone's dreams.

2. Don't judge people by their relatives.

3. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

4. When you realize you've made a mistake take immediate steps to correct it.

5. Give people more than they expect, and do it cheerfully.

6. Memorize your favourite poem.

7. Don't believe all that you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want.

8. When you say "I love you" mean it.

9. When you say "I'm sorry" look the person in the eye.

10. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.

11. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it's the only way to live life completely.

12. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.

13. Talk slowly but think quickly.

14. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, "Why do you want to know?".

15. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

16. Say "Bless you" when you hear someone sneeze.

17. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

18. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.

19. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older their conversational skills will be as important as any others.

20. Never interrupt when you are being flattered.

21. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.

22. Read more books and watch less TV.

23. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.

24. Mind your own business.

25. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.

26. Once a year go someplace you have never been.

27. Learn the rules, then break some.

28. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

29. Do all you can to creat a tranquil, harmonious home.

30. Remember that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Comments

• Katie

Katie 05/23/2012 5:17 a.m. #

I love this post Sicorra! It's nice to be reminded of these sorts of things. A perfect way to start my morning.

• jefferson

jefferson 05/23/2012 5:23 a.m. #

i love this list, sicorra... i would say that these aren't just tips for a better life.. they are tips for a successful marriage!.. very well done..

• Michelle

Michelle 05/23/2012 6:21 a.m. #

These are all great tips! And I agree with going someplace new every year. Travel is great.

• Sean @ One Smart Dollar

Sean @ One Smart Dollar 05/23/2012 6:41 a.m. #

I love number 24. Way to many people are too invested in what other people are doing that it distracts them from their own lives.

• Jason

Jason 05/23/2012 7:09 a.m. #

It is nice to stop thinking about finances at times...although you did mention not spending all you make. I'm pretty sure you just made me think about money again. ;)

• Daisy

Daisy 05/23/2012 7:39 a.m. #

What an awesome post - I think sometimes we forget to do these things. I definitely do. I'd add not trying to please other people - and not spending too much time on draining relationships.

• Kathleen @ Frugal Portland

Kathleen @ Frugal Portland 05/23/2012 8:17 a.m. #

How lovely to read first thing in the morning. A great reminder!

• From Shopping to Saving

From Shopping to Saving 05/23/2012 10:35 a.m. #

Loved this post Sicorra. All of it is true.

These were my favorites:

Funny because I learned this in 1st grade, and I have never forgotten it. I stick to this all the time.

^ This is so important. My BF and I can talk for hours and hours and we can go on roadtrips without the radio for a few hours. I just love that about him.

I'll have to remember not to interrupt someone when I'm being flattered...I tend to do that often!

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 05/23/2012 10:56 a.m. #

This is sweet music to my ears, Sicorra. I have to say that these are 30 of the best tips for living a better life that I've come across in years. Thank you for giving me that extra push that I need to become a better person and obviously to live a better life.

• CultofMoney

CultofMoney 05/23/2012 12:17 p.m. #

Nice. I'm a big fan of 13. Talk slowly but think quickly.

Too many people do the opposite, and it gets them into trouble. Plus when you talk less, people notice what you have to say when you do, and it will seem more important.

• MyMoneyDesign

MyMoneyDesign 05/23/2012 12:23 p.m. #

I disagree with one thing - this is a post about how to make more money because increased happiness usually leads to good fortune! I agree with all of these! I've especially found No. 22 to be true. TV is about useless. But a good book can do a lot for you.

Tackling Our Debt 05/23/2012 12:40 p.m. #

@MyMoneyDesign - I agree with you and didn't initially think of that, but you are right, happiness does usually lead to good fortune! Thank you!

Thanks to Everyone for your amazing comments! So glad you enjoyed this.

• Lisa @ Thriftability.com

Lisa @ Thriftability.com 05/23/2012 2:44 p.m. #

Sicorra, Your points are all too true. So often we start working so hard to make money, that we lost sight of the important things! I am trying to get back on track after an injury and loss of work, but I have had to force myself to take it slow and appreciate the little things in life that make me happiest. Thanks for such a sincere and thought-provoking post!

P.S. thanks for visiting my site and leaving a comment. I hope you have a chance to try the chicken tenders soon!

• Justin @ The Family Finances

Justin @ The Family Finances 05/23/2012 5:36 p.m. #

Great list. I would add to go on a nice evening walk with your spouse / significant other insteadof watching tv (in addition to reading more books, like you mentioned).

• Crystal Evanisky

Crystal Evanisky 05/23/2012 5:53 p.m. #

i love the list. there are so many that hold true for me i can't even begin to list them. although #2 is a funny one we always joke about around our house. thanks for making us laugh.

• Jen @ Master the Art of Saving

Jen @ Master the Art of Saving 05/23/2012 6:58 p.m. #

Great tips. :-) Sometimes I get so caught up in the day to day stuff that I forget some of these. I really rocked #10 though, I was engaged for 7 years before we got married.

• mycanuckbuck

mycanuckbuck 05/23/2012 7:58 p.m. #

This is a wonderful list. I particularly like number 2 about relatives. My husband is wonderful, but some of his family members..not so much! :)

• Well Heeled Blog

Well Heeled Blog 05/23/2012 8:11 p.m. #

I want to add "don't compare yourself to others." Some wise person once said that comparison is the thief of joy. How very true.

AverageJoe 05/24/2012 9:10 a.m. #

As a natural pot-stirrer, I have trouble remembering at least five of these....I need to do a better job. Maybe a tattoo with these tips is in order.....

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 05/24/2012 9:54 a.m. #

Love these so much. Every year I make this dorky list of what my values are. Sometimes they do change. I don't think it's because I'm losing my morality, but rather because I've learned and grown. I realize some of the things I believed before were flat out wrong, and I need to adjust myself accordingly.

• CanadianBudgetBinder

CanadianBudgetBinder 05/25/2012 10:13 a.m. #

Sometimes all it takes is a post like this to help us realize how lucky we are to be alive and well. Take a moment to enjoy what life has to offer and live each day to the fullest. '
      Cheers,