Room for Improvement

room for improvement

Are there certain things in your life that just come naturally to you and other things that you are constantly working on improving?

Do you find it a challenge or a struggle to work on improving certain areas of your life? If you do, you are not alone. As I’m sure you have heard many times before, we are all a work in progress.

We all have things that we would like to be better at. Some of those things take priority over others.

What if you have 10 different things that you need to improve on? Do you tackle them all at once or do you make a plan to tackle and master them one at a time?

Let’s talk about the different areas in our lives that some of us have mastered and some of us need to improve on, and see which items you can relate to.

What Do You Need to Improve On?

Procrastination – People often say “don’t put off to tomorrow what you can do today”. I prefer to say “don’t do today what you can put off until tomorrow”. Kidding!! Maybe...

Becoming more productive – Be it tasks at work or tasks at home, some days we can be very productive and some days we can feel like we didn’t accomplish a single thing. What can we do to improve our productivity?

Spending more time with family and friends – Are you a workaholic? Do you find that your kids are graduating from high school next week and you have been so busy with your own work that you didn’t even notice that they weren't in diapers anymore?

Dealing with specific health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol  – Many people get diagnosed with a serious illness and take immediate action, while others don’t take the time to figure out what they need to do to improve their health.

Is being healthy a priority to you? You might be thinking "of course it is". Did you know that for many people it isn't?

Becoming a better listener – Are you the type of person that actually listens when others in the room are speaking to you or is your mind formulating your next response, or worse yet, is it a million miles away thinking about something completely unrelated?

Saving more money – In the world of personal finance we are constantly reading stories about people who have saved their money and people who have spent too much money, again.

Which category do you fall into? Is saving more money an area in your life that you need to improve on? Is it a priority?

Making more money – Is making more money easier said than done? Some people make a lot of money and some people struggle to make a few bucks. If you are someone that wants to make more money what can you do to make that happen?

Building a retirement fund – People begin building their retirement fund at different points in their lives. Some start when they are in their 20’s or 30’s, and some never do.

And what I have learned over time is that building your retirement fund isn’t based on whether a person is low income, middle income or wealthy. It is simply based on their personal financial beliefs.

Eating better – Before you can make improvements to your daily eating habits you need to figure out what “better” means to you. Does eating only organic food mean that you are eating better?

Does eating only low carb food mean that you are eating better? Or does only going to McDonalds twice a week mean that you are eating better?

eating better

Cooking skills – Many people are fantastic cooks while others only use their kitchen to make a cup of coffee. Improving your cooking skills is important for so many reasons.

The two reasons that immediately come to my mind are that it allows you to pay closer attention to the ingredients that you are putting in your mouth, and it helps you save money because you are not paying to dine out all the time or to order in.

Organizing your home – Some people are natural born organizers, and some people either struggle with it or ignore it all together. If you are someone that struggles with being organized but wants to get better at it there are so many online resources that you can turn to for simple organizational tips that you can begin implementing right away.

Organizing your work – Is it possible to be organized at home but not at work? Is your desk covered with papers, supplies, empty coke cans, empty coffee cups, and so on? What about your computer?

Do you spend an hour looking for a file that you know you just saved yesterday, or are all of your files neatly organized based on certain subjects? What about your favorites folder and your RSS Reader? When was the last time you organized those on your computer?

Seeing tasks through to completion instead of always multi-tasking – If you are like most people you are proud of your multi-tasking skills. But when important tasks need to get done how much do people that continually multi-task really get done, and get done well?

For example, when you are working on a project on your computer how many times do you stop to check and respond to email, or to quickly look something up on the Internet for a completely different project? I do it all the time and by the end of the day I get so little done.

What do you need to improve on?

Comments

• Jai Catalano

Jai Catalano 06/18/2012 8:02 a.m. #

Aren't we all just a work in progress? I am working on making more money. In the last 6 months I have seen a nice increase but that is only because I have put my attention to it. I look at it as a building process that doesn't happen over night. 6 months from now I will have more money than today. Not because I am cocky but because I am focusing my attention on that department. I already have the creative side bubbling so why not have the financial side cooking too... :)

• MyMoneyDesign

MyMoneyDesign 06/18/2012 10:46 a.m. #

Oh man, your list just made me realize how much stuff I suck at! Seriously, I just read each of those points and said to myself how much work I've got to do.

I think the trick to any self-improvement is to only take on a few tasks at once. If you spread yourself too thin, you get no where doing everything.

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 06/18/2012 12:03 p.m. #

Powerful stuff, Sicorra! I've been a work in progress for as long as I can remember. There are so many things that I need to get better at executing that I'm almost overwhelmed by them. The best thing is to realize that we need to uproot ourselves and get started with making a plan. The second best thing is to realize that we are only human and that it's OK to fall backwards once in awhile. Moreover, we have to also ask for help once in awhile, because we can't become successful by strictly going it alone.

• Katie

Katie 06/18/2012 7:55 p.m. #

There are a lot of areas in my life I need to work on. I just tend to try to tackle too much at once and end up being less productive.

I know if I would just focus on one thing at a time I would have better end results but there is just so much that I want to do.

• Michelle

Michelle 06/18/2012 9:47 p.m. #

I need to work on almost everything you listed! My thing right now is working on my time management. I've got 3 kids at home during the day since the two oldest are on summer break and I'm finding it difficult to be a good mom (take them somewhere fun), a good teacher (do something educational), clean my house, keep my clean house clean, make nutritious meals, find time to coupon, write and comment blogs, do laundry, take care of myself...etc etc etc. It actually makes me crazy to even type about my life. I don't know how those women who seem to have it all going on do it. I secretly hope they really don't have it all going on and are just really good at faking it...because I'm totally jealous and can't keep up! Right now, my house is clean-ish, my kids were well taken care of today, I looked presentable, BUT? I didn't have dinner ready to go and so the kids ate junk food at the swim meet and Jeff and I just starved until 10 when we scarfed on microwave meals. I suck at life--hehe! I'm trying though!

AverageJoe 06/18/2012 11:13 p.m. #

Right now I need to work on my physical fitness. I run marathons but I'm carrying too much weight right now. I'd run better and feel better if I had more upper body strength and a stronger core. That's about all I think about right now! Now if I could find a way to workout that didn't make me sweat so much....

• From Shopping to Saving

From Shopping to Saving 06/19/2012 8:24 a.m. #

I definitely need to become better at organization. I used to be so organized but when I get busy, I get overwhelmed and stressed out, and my work space and home office gets way too messy. I then end up not wanting to do any work there!

I'm also a huge procrastinator sometimes. I need to work on that, and also thinking before I speak. I tend to speak my mind too quickly, but I'm learning that thinking about my response thoroughly is more effective and could possibly prevent a lot of miscommunication and/or drama.

• Money Beagle

Money Beagle 06/19/2012 9:25 a.m. #

I think the key to achieving success with these type of things is to take it slow. Take eating healthier. How many times to people try to change their entire set of eating habits in one fell swoop? They swear off all candy and cakes, they throw away all cheese or anything to do with fat, etc. etc. etc. It might work at first but it's almost certain that eventually it will be too much. Why? Because you're trying to change everything you've known in that aspect of your life overnight. The key, i think, is to change one thing at a time. The results might not be immediately noticeable, but over time, you'll have success and it'll be lasting because you end up keeping those habits for the long term, instead of just temporarily.

• Hank

Hank 06/19/2012 4:39 p.m. #

It is so hard to pick just one or two of these to focus on. Maybe that's the thing that I need to try and improve on. I find myself trying to multitask too much and failing to focus my attention on one thing.

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 06/20/2012 7:51 a.m. #

I need to work on making more money and saving more money. The saving money has been challenging though sometimes because certain expenses have been out of my control (especially lately), but had a been better when things were going more smoothly, I wouldn't be fretting so much now.

• Jen @ Master the Art of Saving

Jen @ Master the Art of Saving 06/20/2012 3:12 p.m. #

I pretty much need to improve all areas of my life. Recently, I've been focusing on health, weight, minimalism, organization and doing stuff even if I don't want to. I'm making progress, but not as quickly as I'd like. :-)