20 Powerful Life Lessons

Today I wanted to do a post that is uplifting and inspiring, but may also stir your emotions. I’ve been carrying these specific quotes around with me for the last 10 years or so. These quotes touch on so many different areas of our lives. Some of them remind me of how lucky I am and some of them remind me to be grateful for what I already have. You may have already come across some of them online or in books that you’ve read. I’m sure many of you will be able to relate to these.

Some of these were created by other people and some of them were created by me. I hope that you will use the comment section to write one of your own.

20 Powerful Life Lessons:

1. I’ve learned that no matter the consequences, those who are honest with themselves get farther ahead in life.

2. I’ve learned that your life can be changed in a matter of minutes by people who you don’t even know.

3. I’ve learned that even when you think you have no more to give, when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

4. I’ve learned that writing, as well as talking, can ease emotional pain.

5. I’ve learned that credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being.

6. I’ve learned that the people you care about most in life are taken from you too soon.

7. I’ve learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them.

8. I’ve learned that no matter how much I care, some people just don’t care back.

9. I’ve learned that it takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it.

10. I’ve learned that it’s not what you have in life, but who you have in your life that counts.

powerful life lessons

11. I’ve learned that you can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes. After that you’d better know something.

12. I’ve learned that the quickest way to kill your self esteem is to compare yourself to others.

13. I’ve learned that it’s taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

14. I’ve learned that you should always leave loved ones with loving words because what if tomorrow never comes.

lessons in life

15. I’ve learned that regardless of how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take its place.

16. I’ve learned that no matter how you try to protect your children they will eventually get hurt and you will hurt in the process.

17. I’ve learned that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something completely different.

18. I’ve learned that we don’t have to change friends if we understand that friends change.

19. I’ve learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn’t stop for your grief.

20. I’ve learned that there are many ways of falling and staying in love.

Please use the comment section to add your life lesson: I’ve learned that ____

Comments

• jefferson

jefferson 06/26/2012 5:58 a.m. #

Great list, Sicorra.. Lots of winners in there.

My favorite:
      >> I’ve learned that it’s taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

It's a lifelong journey and you should always be working to improve.

• Money Beagle

Money Beagle 06/26/2012 6:37 a.m. #

Excellent points. I've learned that time really does seem to pass at a faster and faster rate as you get older. Take time to enjoy the moments before they're gone.

• Tackling OurDebt

Tackling OurDebt 06/26/2012 8:24 a.m. #

@MoneyBeagle That is so true. My father & I talk about that all the time.

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 06/26/2012 11:59 a.m. #

This is the big 20, Sicorra! I can certainly relate to all of these points.

Your seventh point is very dear to me, and it took me ages to learn. In my early days, I used to think that if someone didn't love me back that it was somehow a failure on my part that they didn't. Thankfully, I've learned that you can't make people love you. Your only responsibility is to be lovable, and leave it to them to decide if they'll love you back. If they do, great. If they don't, move on.

Tackling Our Debt 06/26/2012 12:11 p.m. #

@Anthony I know Tony I use to feel the same way years ago and it just makes you miserable, doesn't it? We can't be everything for everyone, we can only do our best. As you say, some will love us and some won't.

• Nell @ Housewife Empire

Nell @ Housewife Empire 06/26/2012 12:22 p.m. #

>I’ve learned that regardless of how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take its place.

This is so true! That's why my past relationships ended like they did (thank god) and I'm about to celebrate 5 years of marriage with my hubby. Good stuff.

• CultOfMoney

CultOfMoney 06/26/2012 12:51 p.m. #

Fantastic list there Sicorra!

I''ve learned many things, some more useful than others. I've learned that some people just aren't worth my time (the no asshat rule). I've learned that your friends (and others who you enjoy spending time with, whether socially or professionally) really are important to your well-being, and should be nurtured as such.

Your #11 may be disproved by reality TV. :) The Kardashians (sp?) and Jersey shore folks have lasted too long.

Tackling Our Debt 06/26/2012 1:17 p.m. #

@Nell Congratulations! Enjoy celebrating your wedding anniversary.

Tackling Our Debt 06/26/2012 1:19 p.m. #

@CultofMoney Thanks very much Karl! Your point about #11 is quite funny. And I agree with you, friends that you enjoy spending time with are important to our well-being.

• Money Bulldog

Money Bulldog 06/26/2012 4:30 p.m. #

Some things you do you can never repair. Good reminder of this in point 9!

AverageJoe 06/26/2012 7:14 p.m. #

Great quotes. Hmm...one that I've learned from? How about:

I've learned that if you don't lie you don't have to worry about having a great memory.

• Janine

Janine 06/26/2012 8 p.m. #

Love, love, love it!!!!!!!!

• David

David 06/26/2012 8:40 p.m. #

Those are some amazing quotes. The common thread in all of them is love, honesty, and truthfulness. I can only hope to attain their high standard. But I'll keep trying.

• Meghan

Meghan 06/26/2012 9:12 p.m. #

Great post!

I've learned that no one is going to look out for me like I will.

• My Canuck Buck

My Canuck Buck 06/27/2012 6:42 a.m. #

To build on number 8 - I've learned that sometimes it's best to cut your losses. You can't keep some friends forever and it's not worth trying.

• Cassi

Cassi 06/27/2012 12:28 p.m. #

Awwwh, this was cute. Some of these, I have learned, and some I am still learning. Number 13. Preach! When I started high school in 2009, I started a journey to try and become a better person. I am now about to start my senior year, and while I am still growing up, I feel like these past three years have made me into a better person. It felt like forever, but I am glad I did it, and will continue on in a life long journey to be the best I can be.

• bogofdebt

bogofdebt 06/27/2012 1:48 p.m. #

Excellent list! I really like the don't wait to tell loved ones that you love them. Thankfully this didn't come too late.
      There were two others I've learned:
      1) Don't be afraid to get out of bad relationships because you're comfortable.
      2) Making mistakes makes you who you are.

• Katie

Katie 06/27/2012 7:02 p.m. #

I've learned that family and friends should come before anything else. I've learned that helping someone who is in need is one of the most rewarding things you can do. I have learned not to care what other people think of me because life is just to short.

Love this post!

• Jai Catalano

Jai Catalano 06/28/2012 7:34 a.m. #

Ok 16... My 2 year old son was brushing his teeth. No seriously he was. And I walked away to go do something in the kitchen and he feel off the stool and bit his tongue. There was blood EVERYWHERE. Luckily no real damage was done but I felt so guilty. I thought maybe I should have walked away. I thought maybe I should have told him to not stand on the stool. I thought maybe I should have told him be like all the other kids and don't brush your teeth.

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 06/29/2012 9:14 a.m. #

I like them all, but #12 is one I have to work on ALL the time. Great list!

• American Debt Project

American Debt Project 07/27/2012 7:44 p.m. #

Every lesson was beautiful, but I really needed to hear #18 today. A good reminder when you complain about friends annoying you or not being the way they used to be. I want to be grateful for each person who comes into my life and enriches it just by being themselves.