Build Your Self-Confidence with These 10 Tips

boost self-confidence

When a person is lacking in self confidence it can affect every area of their life, including their work life and their relationships. It also has a strong impact on how other people treat them. But there are many ways to boost your self-confidence and improve your life. Let’s talk about how to build your self-confidence by following these 10 tips.

Dress for success.

Buy a few really nice items of clothing that work well together and mix and match them. If you work in an office that requires formal business attire, make sure you are wearing a professional looking business suit or a dress with clean dress shoes. Wear matching accessories as well. Remember that when you look good, you feel good.

Walk a little faster.

Always walk briskly as if you have somewhere to be, whether you do or not. Pay attention to your surroundings, and to the people you are with, not to your cell phone.

Maintain a good posture.

Do you think people notice your posture when you walk by? They most definitely do, especially if you carry yourself well. Keep your head up and your shoulders back. This instantly defines confidence.

Express your appreciation.

To boost your self-confidence make a list of the things that you are grateful for and appreciate about yourself. Remind yourself about all of the things you have accomplished in your lifetime. As well, always express your appreciation to those around you, such as co-workers, family, friends, clients, and so on.

Compliment people.

Have you ever noticed that when you criticize others it is usually because you are not feeling all that great about yourself? But you can break this cycle by complimenting others. The more you pay genuine compliments to other people, the better you will feel. And the better you feel, the more self-confident you will feel.

Volunteer.

Volunteer your time to mentor someone else, or find a local charity in an area that you are interested in and volunteer your time there. When you spend time helping others and making them smile, you will smile more, which in turn, will help you feel better about yourself too.

Share your ideas.

The fear of being laughed at or criticized stops many of us from sharing our ideas and speaking up, but the more you push past that fear and begin participating in conversations with a strong voice, the more confident you will appear.

Get plenty of exercise.

The more you exercise the healthier and stronger your body will feel. As well you will look fitter and people will begin to compliment you.

Sit at the front.

If you attend a seminar or a large meeting try to get a seat at the front of the room, instead of hiding in the middle, or worse yet, the back of the room. People who sit up front get noticed and appear more confident than people hiding out in the back.

Speak and write in a positive tone.

How many times have you read a note or a letter from someone about something and the tone of their note, which has nothing to do with the topic of the note, makes them sound unhappy or grumpy, which in turn makes you feel depressed?  In this day and age we are all constantly writing emails and sending text messages. Pay attention to your tone, and do your best to always sound upbeat and happy, unless of course you are writing about a very sad event.

Boosting your self-confidence is not as difficult as you may think. By making an honest effort to practice the above points on a daily basis, you will find that your confidence level will increase and you will feel better about yourself and those around you.

Is there anything specific that you do to boost and maintain your self-confidence? Please share...

Comments

• My Canuck Buck

My Canuck Buck 07/13/2012 5:23 a.m. #

Great list! I hate going to the gym, but I'll freely admit I always feel better afterwards. And dressing nicely also gives me a boost. Having my toenails painted always give me a boost - I just feel better having pretty toenails.

• Jai Catalano

Jai Catalano 07/13/2012 6:22 a.m. #

Nice tips I think the walking fast is a stretch but hey I don't have these issues. :)

• Well Heeled Blog

Well Heeled Blog 07/13/2012 8:17 a.m. #

I unconsciously straigthened my back when I read the better posture tip.. even though no one is around to see me. Great list. :-)

• Money Beagle

Money Beagle 07/13/2012 8:31 a.m. #

Looking people in the eye and smiling are two things that will also draw people to you and will help add to your confidence level.

Tackling Our Debt 07/13/2012 9:53 a.m. #

@My Canuck Buck - I know how you feel. I drag myself to the gym or to go hiking, but most often feel better afterwards.

@Well Heeled Blog - Funny how you did that. I know that I naturally slouch and need to straighten up more too.

@Money Beagle - I agree, smiling and looking people in the eye is key.

• Kathleen @ Frugal Portland

Kathleen @ Frugal Portland 07/13/2012 12:01 p.m. #

The post made me sit up straight in my chair, so thanks!

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 07/13/2012 3:04 p.m. #

I think exercise and smiling make me feel more confident. Great list!

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 07/13/2012 3:14 p.m. #

I always sit at the front because I have trouble paying attention if I don't. I'm a big people watcher so if I don't have anyone to watch I'll pay attention to the lecturer. Yay! My boss came with me to a workshop once and followed me as I sat in the front. Half way through she said, "I can't believe how much more I'm getting out of this by sitting up here."

I think self-confidence is the prerequisite to any success. If you don't believe in yourself, no one has any reason to believe in you either.

• Bridget

Bridget 07/14/2012 10:19 a.m. #

Great tips, especially speaking & writing in a positive tone. I think we always have the choice to be positive when we interact with others, and too often we pass up the opportunity to be positive and just opt for neutral (or negative) when it really pays to just be nicer.

• Daisy @ add-vodka.com

Daisy @ add-vodka.com 07/14/2012 10:44 a.m. #

Wow, great list! I think confidence is the key to success in any field or situation. We all struggle with being unsure of ourselves sometimes, so these tips are awesome. I find sitting at the front, walking faster, and dressing for success definitely make me feel more confident.

• Justin @ The Family Finances

Justin @ The Family Finances 07/14/2012 7:54 p.m. #

Nice list! Another one is to use proper grammar. This might sound weird, but it can totally make you feel better about yourself.

• Jessica Mathis

Jessica Mathis 07/15/2012 4:10 p.m. #

I already use the brisk walking and the proper posture. I think you can tell a lot about someone and their self-confidence by those two things, especially the posture. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing or how I look, good posture makes me feel better about myself.

• Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson 07/16/2012 10:36 a.m. #

This is a grand list, Sicorra. The point that worked for me the best is sitting up front. To go even further, it helped me to be at the front. Public-speaking was the best things that I've ever done to improve my self-confidence. This was where I was able to shed much of my social anxiety, and gain respect from other people.

• My Money Design

My Money Design 07/16/2012 7:15 p.m. #

I just imagine my doubts as one entity, breathe a deep breath, and then let it out slowly and let the entity melt away. It sounds really stupid, but it works!

• Michelle

Michelle 07/17/2012 3:06 p.m. #

I did the same as Well Heeled! I used to have great posture, but I think the 3rd pregnancy did me in! I think even if no one's looking, it makes you feel instantly thinner, healthier, more energetic. Weird how the little things can yield such big results.

• AverageJOe

AverageJOe 07/18/2012 2:25 p.m. #

I learned to stand up straight in military school. It's funny how something I learned a long time ago has played a big part in people's view of my self-confidence.

• Jen @ Master the Art of Saving

Jen @ Master the Art of Saving 07/27/2012 12:20 a.m. #

Exercise is my #1 confidence booster, especially when I get in an awesome workout. Nothing else makes me feel as confident and like I'm doing something to take care of myself. :-)