How to Be Grateful in Times of Need

be grateful in times of need

Our lives go in cycles and at some point everyone experiences challenges in their lifetime. Some more extreme than others. When we are in challenging times it’s not always easy to find the goodness in life, especially when money is tight and we’re faced with worries about our income or family.

Personally I am currently facing one of the biggest challenges of my life and as a result my eyes are blurry from tears and my mind is clogged with worry. These worries keep interrupting my thought process, bring down my mood, and make me feel like crap all day long. It makes for a very difficult and unproductive day and sometimes these worries wake me up in the middle of the night too.

In the past when I have been faced with a big challenge I found that I was able to begin turning things around for the better by being grateful for what I already had in my life that was good.

If you too are struggling and worrying about life, here are some of the things that I practice, and you can too. I can tell you from experience that being grateful can actually work miracles.

Begin by Reminding Yourself About What’s Going Right

If you’re overwhelmed by worry and negative thoughts, find a quiet place, grab a pen and paper and make a list of answers to this question: What do I have to be grateful for in my life?

Start your list with the most obvious things such as your health and family. Do you have a car? A home? Clothes on your back? Food on the table?

• You don’t have to have the fanciest or the most expensive items for you to be grateful. Even if you buy your clothes at Goodwill, at least you’re clothed and warm. A used car in good condition will get you to work just as easily as a brand new car.
  • Don’t forget to give thanks for the small things in life, such as getting a good parking space at the grocery store, or getting a restful night sleep before an important day.

Appreciating what you already have in life will free you to make positive changes.

Being Grateful In Spite of Setbacks

There’s no denying that you will suffer setbacks in life. It’s a fact of life! While it may be difficult to be grateful during these times, it’s important to remember that good can come from difficult situations.

For example, if you’ve recently lost your job, be grateful for the skills you have. With your skills, experience, and the knowledge you possess, you may end up finding a more fulfilling job that gives you more money or more responsibility while being closer to home.

As strange as it may sound in the moment of despair, try to be grateful during difficult times because, as one door closes, another opens the way to new opportunities. After all, you can’t find bright new possibilities in your life if you don’t experience a setback at one point or another.

Be Thankful For Life’s Setbacks

Setbacks are there to challenge you to be better, stronger, faster, and wiser.

The true test of your attitude is to be thankful for the obstacle ahead of you (even if you don’t understand why it exists in the first place), then push forward, stronger than ever.

Why should you be thankful? Because with each challenge you overcome, you gain the wisdom and courage to succeed the next time around.  And if it weren’t for each and every challenge in your life, you’d never learn and grow!

Being grateful everyday will help you lift that overbearing black cloud that can be so stifling. You’ll begin to realize that life is good and you can make it through anything.

Comments

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 08/13/2012 7:28 a.m. #

Great post!

And you're right. We all have so much to be thankful for. Have a great day!

• Jai Catalano

Jai Catalano 08/13/2012 8:29 a.m. #

Very well said. I always try to think of the positive and all that is going right.

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 08/13/2012 11:14 a.m. #

I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time. I can understand. And you really do have to dig deep to try and find the positive things in life when life is challenging. I love your attitude. Email me at budgetandthebeach@hotmail.com if you ever need to chat/vent/whatever!

• Stephanie @ Empowered Dollar

Stephanie @ Empowered Dollar 08/13/2012 12:58 p.m. #

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your struggles. But these are good suggestions to reframe your situation. I also find that a good yoga teacher will help you put all of these into practice.

Tackling Our Debt 08/13/2012 2:16 p.m. #

Thanks you guys! I wrote this post last week in the midst of dealing with my huge challenge. It was kinda therapeutic to write it at that point. I also did everything I could do to prepare myself for that challenge and things went rather smoothly. Too easy in fact, and it makes me wonder...

• Money Bulldog

Money Bulldog 08/13/2012 2:29 p.m. #

Many people will relate to how your feeling Sicorra, myself included!

I always try to think of those worse off than me, at least I've got food on the table and safe surroundings. Another thing i've found helps is to help others with their struggles.

Hope things get better for you.

• Janine

Janine 08/13/2012 6:58 p.m. #

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through a tough time! If there is anything I can do (even if you just want to vent) you have my email and I'm willing to listen without judgement! I hope things look up, but you have a really good attitude towards this kinda stuff. You are a strong person and I know you will get through whatever it is you are dealing with

Lots of love <3

• Justin @ The Family Finances

Justin @ The Family Finances 08/13/2012 7:46 p.m. #

You're so right. We have so much to be thankful for. Whenever I'm having a really rough time, I play with my little 18-month old boy. It really makes me appreciate and understand what really matters in life.

• My Canuck Buck

My Canuck Buck 08/14/2012 5:44 a.m. #

It is hard to keep a positive attitude sometimes, isn't it? I love the proverb and picture of the dog. Add in chocolate and you're all set!

Tackling Our Debt 08/14/2012 4:25 p.m. #

I really appreciate everyone's kind words and support. Thanks so much!

And I agree, chocolate always helps too :-)

• Sean @ One Smart Dollar

Sean @ One Smart Dollar 08/14/2012 5:03 p.m. #

Great posts. Everything happens for a reason. I feel like any set back that I have had in life has just made me stronger and made me who I am today.