8 Steps to Help You Rebuild Your Life and Be Successful

rebuild your life and be successful

Do you feel like your life is one struggle after another and no matter what you do you can’t seem to get ahead? Unfortunately many of us feel that way at some point in our lives, whether we admit it or not.

When you are struggling you basically have two choices. You can either sit and cry about it, or you can do something about it. Here are concrete steps that you can take to overcome the challenges, and rebuild your life, so that you can become as successful as you were always meant to be.

8 Steps to Help You Rebuild Your Life and Be Successful

Evaluate Your Life

What do you feel is lacking in your life? What do you have that fulfills you? Make a list, and consider options that will help you create what you feel you are missing. Feel gratitude and appreciation for the good things you have that fulfill you.

Write Down Your Goals

Write out your most important short and long-term goals and dreams, along with a plan to achieve them. Divide your plan into small steps that you know you can accomplish. For example, if you always wanted to open a bakery, start taking classes on business and baking at the local college.

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

Decide which of your stressors are small issues and which ones are large. Is the fact that your mother-in-law drops by unannounced a real concern or can you let that one go?

By letting the small stressors go, you can free up your mind to strategize ways to reduce, eliminate, or cope with what stresses you the most.

Analyze Your Time

Which activities take up most of your time? Do you wish you had more time for other, more enjoyable activities? If so, then develop a plan to restructure the time allotted for each activity.

Create a schedule that identifies your priorities and stick to it.

Consider Your Fears

What is stopping you right now from taking steps towards what you want in life? Is it a fear that you won’t succeed or that others will think less of you? Do you fear how things might change if you are successful? Make a strong effort to accomplish your goals regardless of your fears.

Facing your fears will make you feel empowered and more capable.

Create a Daily Success Plan

Think of small changes you can implement each day to improve your life. Each day’s accomplishments will show you that you are, indeed, moving toward fulfilling your life’s passion!

Leave Regret Behind

Once things start changing and you start feeling happy and successful, you may wish you had started earlier in your life. Push these thoughts of regret out of your mind and simply focus on the exciting new things that are happening in your life right now.

Look for Positive Advice

Surround yourself with positive people. Talk to anyone and everyone you can think of to gather positive tips, advice, and experiences. Speak to people that you feel have it all – everything you may be looking for in life. Find out their secrets, their perspectives, and the thoughts that motivate them.

How have you dealt with difficult times? Did you find a way to successfully turn things around?

Comments

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 08/30/2012 7:17 a.m. #

These are great tips and I totally agree....especially the part about being positive. It's so important. Thank you!

• Jen@balancedlifebudget

Jen@balancedlifebudget 08/30/2012 8:28 a.m. #

I recently posted a little bit of my background. I've definitely been through some things...really, still going through some things. I think you are spot on with your advice. One thing that really helped me out a few years ago is the gratitude journal app - every day, I would list out 3 positive things. some days, I was really stretching to find 3 things, but the exercise of doing that really helped me to change my mindset.

I also made a conscious effort to spend my "free time" with real friends instead of acquaintences. These real friends knew the real me, I didn't have to pretend to be happy or like something I wasn't, and I felt like I could just let go and breathe. That's one of the best things I'ev ever done for myself.

• Kathleen @ Frugal Portland

Kathleen @ Frugal Portland 08/30/2012 1:28 p.m. #

Very well said! It's also really important to remember that the only thing we can control is our reaction to things that happen. Once we know this, we can stop worrying about the weather or the in-laws.

Tackling Our Debt 08/30/2012 4:13 p.m. #

@Jen@balancedlifebudget I think beginning your day by listing 3 positive things is a brilliant way to start the day. How many times do we get up and instantly start to think about all the things we need to do or start to worry about things right away, and then we end up dragging ourselves through the day. Whereas what you do instantly gives a reason to smile. Thanks for sharing what you do!

@Kathleen When it comes to controlling our reaction I think some days are easier than others. It also depends on how long the in-laws stick around for :-)

• American Debt Project

American Debt Project 08/30/2012 6:13 p.m. #

A very helpful list. I feel very excited most of the time, but I would like to learn how not to get frustrated easily. I feel like one small disappointment or annoying task gets me all huffy and puffy and I need to just get over it and do it or deal with it. I totally agree with your comment above, that quickly falling into the day's trap of stuff and things to do. Each day is such a gift and I don't want to squander a minute of it.

• Cassi

Cassi 08/30/2012 7:01 p.m. #

I honestly think that writing down goals is one of the best things someone can do. I am starting to realize that when I write down my goals for that day, I actually do them! I read a study about writing down goals, and I don't remember the exact percent, but people are more likely to accomplish goals if they write them down.

• moneyaftergrad

moneyaftergrad 08/31/2012 10:40 a.m. #

Great list. I definitely thing having a daily success plan is important, otherwise it may feel like you are making no progress toward your goals.

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 08/31/2012 10:57 p.m. #

I've been feeling like this a bit lately. Nothing's dreadfully wrong, we've just been doing the whole shoestring budget thing for a while now and I'm ready for it to be over. One more year till graduation! Gotta stay positive ;)

• Budget & the Beach

Budget & the Beach 09/03/2012 9:14 p.m. #

Really good tips! I especially like surrounding yourself with positive people. Right now I'm in the middle of evaluating a lot of my friendships. Are they serving me? Are they too one sided. Bad friendships can really bring you down. Great article!