How to Earn Income From Home

Note from the Editor: The following post was contributed by Jackie from DebtFreeBread. Please give Jackie a warm welcome, enjoy and share.

Jackqueline Roy:

earn income from homeIf I had to describe myself I would say I'm a walking oxymoron. I love reading and writing but I also can play Call of Duty, Resident Evil, or Gears of War for hours. I'm unlike most 24 year old women because I've been married for 6 years to a wonderful man whom I adore. I have two beautiful boys with special needs that keep running all day long. My oldest is 5 years old an my youngest will be 4 this New Years Eve.

I was raised by a single mother who passed away far too young. She was a foster child. So it's just me and my younger siblings. After years of being an introvert I feel like I'm finally climbing out of my shell and finding myself.

This year is about self discovery for me which has caused me to look deeper into finding new ways to earn money from home like niche website building, e-books, and freelance writing. Right now I am making several loaves of cold process soap because I'll be selling them online soon through Etsy, Artfire, and my own e-commerce site.

How to Earn Income From Home

Most people fantasize about working in the comfort of their own home, leaving behind mornings filled with the blaring sound of an annoying alarm clock. Right now, daydreams about flexible hours and self employment may seem too good to be true but, it's really quite attainable with a little bit of direction and determination.

Luckily, finding a part-time or full-time job at home has never been easier. I've compiled a list of 5 legitimate companies that may be able to bring your dream of self employment into reality. Instead of listing each website the old fashioned numerological way, I've decided to split them into two categories for left and right thinking people.

Creative Ways for Right Brained People to Earn Money

Are you a person of many talents that can create unique handmade products like no other? If you are, there are two sites that would be perfect for you. Etsy is dedicated to crafters and artists who think outside of the box. If you can draw, sew, design, or create unusual products that are uniquely yours the talent you possess maybe a hidden gold mine. You can setup a shop displaying your beautifully odd creations in no time. It cost $0.20 to list but, you also have a 3.5% sales fee for each item sold.

Do you have an eye for vintage items or classic antiques? If you're able to find the diamond in the rough while frequenting thrift stores and garage sales, you may be able to open a successful vintage or antique shop. Suppliers are also welcomed on Etsy. However, resellers or products that aren't considered handmade, vintage, or supplies are forbidden. When my husband was unemployed, I operated my own bath and body shop on Etsy. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and have been thinking about starting again.

Artfire is very similar to Etsy. However, it doesn't attract as much traffic and items from suppliers are welcomed with a few exceptions like electronics and auto parts. You can also sell goods you've designed but not created. You pay $12.95 a month instead of a listing fee. Plus, Artfire has a tool that allows you to import your Etsy store items which gives you the opportunity to attract customers from two different streams.

Hatchwise is the last site I'd like to recommend for the artistically gifted. If you are able to create attractive graphics for logos, websites, or t-shirts you should give this website a try. As a creator you’re able to enter into contests held by prospective buyers. They describe what they're looking for and then it’s your job to create it. Once, you've entered a contest you're able to receive feedback from the prospective buyer. If they choose your artwork over the competition, you'll receive 80% of the payout.

Luckily, you don't have to be formally trained to enter a contest at Hatchwise because there are no experience barriers. So, if you're good with Photoshop or other editors, you are free to join.

Easy Ways for Left Brained People to Build a Steady Stream of Income

The recent outsourcing boom has created new opportunities for individuals looking to work from home.  If you have impeccable time management and organization skills a job working as a personal assistant maybe ideal. You can find available positions at vWorker which is a site that has several positions available in different professions like business support services, graphic design, and technical support.

Another option is Mechanical Turk, a site owned by Amazon. They offer HITs or human intelligence tasks. It’s really easy to sign up. All you have to do is provide basic information about yourself. Then choose your preferred method of payment and you're ready to go. When you visit the site you'll find a list of tasks ranging from a few cents to several dollars. The cheaper jobs usually consist of surveys, entering keyword relevance details, and other mind numbing tasks. Whereas the more profitable jobs usually involve transcription.

That's it for now; I really hope this article gives someone the boost they need to make money online. The first step is always the hardest but once you get started you'll find new creative ways to make extra cash easily.

• CF

CF 10/31/2012 12:37 a.m. #

If you are handy with a sewing machine, you can often do piecework sewing from home for money. My parents used to do this when we first moved to the West Coast. It's dusty and mundane, but it's a good way to make a bit of money while watching TV or minding the kids.

• James @ Free in Ten Years

James @ Free in Ten Years 10/31/2012 2:47 a.m. #

I've been pondering starting a social media manager part time job - it would seem to be a good idea. You would charge traditional small businesses who haven't kept up with technology to manage their facebook and twitter accounts. I think it would be something that would be very achievable and doable from home. The business would just send you though updates or competitions from time to time, and you make everything look consistent online.

DC @ Young Adult Money 10/31/2012 6:50 a.m. #

Etsy is great for creative types. I know some people can charge quite a bit for their hand-made crafts. Custom-made stuff for weddings seem to be a big seller on Etsy.

• Michelle

Michelle 10/31/2012 7:25 a.m. #

Great post! I've been working on making income from home and am thinking about making this income stream more diverse.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 10/31/2012 8:07 a.m. #

Good post. My wife and I run our own business from home and love it. It allows us to be with our kids while at the same time take on business thsat we want. Of course, there are downsides to being your own boss, but the positives fsr outweigh them in our opinion.

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 10:36 a.m. #

@CF - I agree. I know many seamstresses that work out of their basement. Once they get the word out they are usually quite busy.

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 10:37 a.m. #

@James - I know many people that are doing exactly that. It does make a great work from home business.

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 10:40 a.m. #

@DC - Etsy is great. I like their platform for selling items. I think it has given so many moms the opportunity to work at home and sell their crafts. It also works well for retired people that are skilled at crafts.

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 10:41 a.m. #

@Michelle - I know you have found so many ways to make money on the side. It can be a lot of fun.

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 10:43 a.m. #

@John - Working from home is very nice, esp when you have kids, as you do. It allows you so much flexibility with your time and the potential to earn a lot more money. If I could just avoid the distractions :-)

• Gillian @ Money After Graduation

Gillian @ Money After Graduation 10/31/2012 11:56 a.m. #

Great post ! I think I'll eventually try my hand at Etsy once work slows down. Hopefully I don't end up buying more than I sell :P So much cute stuff on there!

AverageJoe 10/31/2012 12:19 p.m. #

That's interesting that ArtFire will let you bring in your Etsy store. The question is there enough traffic to justify the monthly fee?

• Jackie

Jackie 10/31/2012 2:15 p.m. #

@DC that sounds like a good business plan. A lot of people like myself don't watch TV anymore. So you would have to reach people like me via social media.

@Average Joe That's why my old soap soap business was solely on Etsy.

@John S What business are you guys in? I would eventually like to find something my husband and I can both do together.

• Tiffany (NatureMom)

Tiffany (NatureMom) 10/31/2012 2:29 p.m. #

Great post with lots of ideas. I have been working from home for 8 years now. I mostly love it. ;)

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 2:31 p.m. #

@Gillian - There is so much cute stuff on Etsy. That would be me as well. Spending more on other people's stuff, instead of making money.

Tackling Our Debt 10/31/2012 2:34 p.m. #

@Tiffany - Thanks! 8 years is a long time. Would love to hear more about the kind of work you do. I'll go read your blog some more :-)

• Jackie

Jackie 10/31/2012 3:27 p.m. #

Thank you for featuring me! I appreciate it.

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 10/31/2012 6:18 p.m. #

This is great! I have actually bought things off of Etsy before and I thought it worked great.
      Good post!

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 10/31/2012 9:06 p.m. #

I haven't a crafty bone in my body, but I have a friend who makes custom kid's clothes and has a store on Etsy. I think there is huge potential if someone is buying what your are selling. Do you think there is a paying market for answering questions about eyes?

• Pauline

Pauline 10/31/2012 10:33 p.m. #

Great post Jackie! If I had kids I would probably try to have a small daycare for the neighbors' kids.
      I gave mechanical turk a go a while back but the money was not worth the time it took.

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 11/01/2012 10:09 a.m. #

I so wish I had more artistic skills! I have all these ideas in my head, but my hands just don't cooperate.

I've tried mechanical turk in the past; it really wasn't worth the money for me. Most of the assignments didn't even pay a dollar. BUT if you were bilingual there were a decent amount of decent paying mini-jobs on there. I don't think it would be enough to quit my day job, but it might be a way to supplement. If you're bilingual.

• G.B. @ In Budgets We Trust

G.B. @ In Budgets We Trust 11/01/2012 10:13 a.m. #

How interesting! I think I'm more left-brained. I'm forwarding your article along to my parents, both of whom have been struggling to find extra income since the recession began. Thanks for your post :)

Tackling Our Debt 11/01/2012 10:27 a.m. #

@Pauline - I tried mechanical turk too but couldn't really figure it out well enough to make any sort of money.

Tackling Our Debt 11/01/2012 10:30 a.m. #

@femmefrugality - Things like have an etsy store could easily turn into a full-time income for a skilled person, but you are right, MT income is more like a supplement. Maybe to add a few dollars to a person's monthly budget or Christmas account. Of course that all depends on what part of the world you live in.

Tackling Our Debt 11/01/2012 10:32 a.m. #

@G.B. - Thanks! I like the way Jackie broke her article up to talk about left brain and right brain people. I'm with you, I'm definitely more left brained.

• Jackie

Jackie 11/01/2012 11:48 a.m. #

@Tiffany Your blog is awesome. I especially like the crafty Christmas ideas you posted.

@Holly Thank you!

@Kim That's an interesting topic. You probably could make money off of a well advertised e-book. Maybe 101 things you didn't know about your eyes or something. Lol. Idk

@Pauline A small daycare is a great idea! Its really hard to find a trustworthy provider. Mturk really only pays decent money to transcription or translation from what I've seen.

@femmefrugality I agree Mturk only has a few jobs that pay enough money to be worth while.

@G.B. I really hope it helps your parents or someone you know!

• Pam@thesavingsblog

Pam@thesavingsblog 11/04/2012 2 a.m. #

My mom is so good at any sewing machine and she never handed down her skills to me. She's good at knitting too but its just her hobby and she never thought of selling them. I was kind of thinking how about i sell them myself? oh no. . no way.