10 Ways to Boost Your Productivity

boost productivity

Do you find that some weeks you accomplish so much and other weeks you struggle to even get out of bed in the morning, let alone work on anything important? I know I do. Heck many days I struggle just to get some new posts up on my blog.

I think we all go through phases where we feel like we have lost our focus, or our purpose in life, and when that happens, we need to find constructive ways to get back on track and become productive again.

Fortunately there are many things that we can each do to boost our productivity and accomplish everything that we need to do.

Here are some things that you can work into your day to make your life more productive and satisfying.

Ask yourself – why am I here?

Why are you here? What are you meant to accomplish in this lifetime? Decide for yourself, and then write it down in as few words as you can. Visualize yourself accomplishing whatever it is that you are meant to do.

Am I managing my time well?

If you need to create a written schedule in a journal or input your tasks into your computer’s calendar, then do so. I actually use Excel to create my daily schedule and task lists.

Spend your time doing things that will make you money, bring you personal fulfillment, or otherwise make you the success you want to be. Don’t let yourself be sidetracked by useless things.

My higher self is guiding me in the right direction.

Accept that you’re guided if you really want to accomplish what you’re called to do. Trust your instincts to guide you along the right path to your prosperity.

I sometimes come across passages in books that seem to leap out at me just at the right time.

Has that ever happened to you? When it does try to memorize them or write them down so that you can read them over again; these are likely messages you were meant to discover.

My goals are written down.

Goals are more than a to do list. They are substantial things that we want to accomplish in our life time.

Write down your goals, short term and long term. Read them over on a daily basis.

You have to internalize your goals so that they flow through your life and influence everything you do.

Goals are important on your path to success. Each goal builds upon the last.

Do you measure your progress?

You have to stay objective. How are you really doing with your progress? Success largely rests on your imagination, but it’s not only about wishful thinking.

Tracking your progress is important to see how far you’ve come toward reaching your goals.

I am discovering the purpose for my life.

The only joyful life is a purpose-driven life. An aimless life is not worth living. When you feel that you have a reason for being, you will feel fulfilled and your life will be of assistance to others.

This road to discovery is often long and winding, and it may take you on adventures that you often can’t predict.  Sometimes that is where we learn the most.

Learn from others.

Learn from those who have gone before you, those who have already struggled, those who have already overcome, those who have already achieved, or those who already have fulfilled similar needs to yours. You don’t have to figure out everything for yourself.

Everyday is a chance to learn something new.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, find a mentor who can help guide you to something better in life.

I know how to use my time creatively.

There has to be time for recreation and for the things you love to do. Re-create your mind and spirit to keep up your strength.

I enjoy a simple life.

Keep your life simple. Stop flying off after the next adventure, the next romance, or the next “big shiny thing.” Enjoy simple pleasures while you work on accomplishing your goals.

What did you get done today?

Those who hesitate are lost. If you can do it today, do it! Don’t force it, but don’t procrastinate, either.

To be successful is to take action. Whether in work or in love, take action and make your life better.

What do you have planned for today? Will you get it done or will you just go back to bed?

Comments

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 11/06/2012 3:18 a.m. #

Great post.

I think I am pretty good at most of these things (particularly the goals bit), but I could really use a refresher course on effectively managing my time better.

• Cat

Cat 11/06/2012 7:30 a.m. #

Well, I'm already at work, so going back to bed is out of the question. :) Hopefully I'll get everything done that I need to do!

• Michael @ So You Think You Can Save

Michael @ So You Think You Can Save 11/06/2012 7:52 a.m. #

I do best by writing lists. I make one every morning at work and try to cross off as many items as I can. If I have a 'big' task that will take a long time, I'll even break that down, because crossing off accomplishments along the way keeps me motivated so that I can reach the bigger goal without losing momentum.

• CanadianBudgetBinder

CanadianBudgetBinder 11/06/2012 7:55 a.m. #

Great Post! My days, well I should week is almost always planned out. I have so much going on with work, the home and the blog now that I have to be organized in order to accomplish my goals. I plan goals for myself daily, weekly and yearly and we plan goals as a couple as well. Lots to think about but it keeps us motivated. We don't want to turn into people who sit around all day getting lazy. We want to be on the go, active people accomplishing things in our short time on this planet. We balance that with relaxation and hanging out with our mates. Life is after all a juggling game. Mr.CBB

DC @ Young Adult Money 11/06/2012 8:49 a.m. #

These are great tips. I specifically find making to-do lists and tracking my progress as the best way to stay productive. I like to know what needs to be done, what timeframe I have, what I should prioritize, and then track how much I actually accomplish. Making sure that the things I'm doing are things that need to be done is a big one as well.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 11/06/2012 9:42 a.m. #

Good post. Being productive can be a challenge to keep at on a regular basis. I tend to do best when I have lists and keep them in front of me. I am a visual person and by keeping them around it helps me to stay on task as I like to be able to cross things off.

• L Bee and the Money Tree

L Bee and the Money Tree 11/06/2012 11:06 a.m. #

It's been a rough few weeks and I am struggling with a new routine and being without my emotional rock. The routine of blogging and writing my monthly goals down in spite of all is helping me stay sane and on track. Great post!

• David @ Bankruptcy Canada

David @ Bankruptcy Canada 11/06/2012 5:15 p.m. #

A rational person will always want to become very productive. I do list down my short-term and long-term goals just as you have indicated. It is also necessary to be creative but simple. I also agree that we all have to learn how to work with other people. These are things that everyone needs to be productive all the time.

• Pauline

Pauline 11/06/2012 7:45 p.m. #

I am a terrible procrastinator! Been doing good today though. I learned to thatch a roof :)

I work well with micro goals, that are so easy I can cross three at a time off my list and pat myself in the back for being so productive. It helps me accomplish the tedious tasks afterwards.

• justin@thefrugalpath

justin@thefrugalpath 11/06/2012 8:50 p.m. #

I think at work I have great time management skills. Work time is meant for one thing, getting things done. At home....well a nap here, tv there and suddenly 3 hours have gone by. And I'm a huge procrastinator so with my personal time I need to work on my productivity.

• CF

CF 11/07/2012 12:16 a.m. #

I like these tips. I find at work especially, I need to refocus myself from time to time by reminding myself of the "big picture". Otherwise, I get distracted or ambivalent about what I am doing.

• Catherine

Catherine 11/07/2012 7:45 a.m. #

I need to get better at all of these, I do them but procrastinate which isn't the best attribute to have. The baby sort of dictates my time right now though!

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 11/07/2012 10:58 a.m. #

Great motivational post! Today I'm doing the blog thing, hanging out with my favorite people (the kiddos) and eventually getting homework done. Probably in that order.

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 11/07/2012 7:31 p.m. #

I think we all need to follow the point about learning from others. Even if it is how not to things, we can learn lots of things if we pay attention.