Is It Difficult to Find Good Work at Home Jobs?

work at home

Is it possible to find good work at home jobs? Ones that are decent and pay well? Of course it is. With the help of the Internet it is very possible to make money while working at home.

Now working at home isn’t for everybody.

Some people love going to a place of business where they constantly see their boss and can interact with other employees.

They love getting up at 5 AM to catch the packed local commuter train, or to sit in traffic while they drink their coffee and try to stay awake.

But then there are some of us that can’t stand doing that.

working at homeWe prefer to sleep until the very last minute, trundle out of bed, put on our sweats and bunny slippers, grab a hot coffee or tea and wander over to our desk, in the warmth and comfort of our own home.

All the while watching the weather report that says it is minus 25 out, and oh yeah, we had another 10 centimeters of snow last night. And you know what that means - accidents everywhere.

As a person who definitely prefers to work at home I am always keeping my eye open for new opportunities. I get bored quickly and I love change and flexibility. I love working until 10 at night and sleeping in until 8:30 in the morning. I love working weekends and taking days off during the week to go out and have fun or do errands and appointments. To me, it’s the perfect life!

Database of Good Work at Home Jobs

This small database of sites will help you whether you are looking for a good side hustle or a full-time work at home job.

The Work at Home Wife

Whydowork.com

Working Mother

Monster.com

KP Writing

WAHM.com

Flexjobs

Many of the above websites also have helpful articles on how to setup your home office, look for work and avoid work at home scams. Some even have great advice for those that want to start their own home based business.

Is finding a good work at home job easy? Not usually. But how often in your life has it been easy to find a good job, whether it is a work from home job or a go to work somewhere else job?

Finding a good job takes time. You need to do your research and then hit the ground running. Very rarely will someone that has a job vacancy come looking for you. Now I say rarely because it has happened to some people. I’ve heard and read stories from people saying that so and so employer approached them with a good job opportunity, and if that happened to all of us it would be wonderful. But usually we have to do our own hunting, whether we want to work at home or for someone else.

Comments

• James @ Free in Ten Years

James @ Free in Ten Years 11/08/2012 4:17 a.m. #

I reckon it is pretty hard to find a good job to do at home. It's probably easier to find a traditional job and try to convince your boss or company to let you work from home.

I think most businesses set up to get labour from people working at home are generally not worth the time. I think the best jobs most people who are looking to work at home should focus on are setting up a business that doesn't need a shop front. Running a webdesign business or being a freelance writer can definitely be done from home and don't require a big start up cost.

• Angie Nelson

Angie Nelson 11/08/2012 4:33 a.m. #

Thanks for including The Work at Home Wife on your list. You have compiled an awesome resource here!

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 11/08/2012 5:34 a.m. #

I wish! That is one thing that I wish I could change about my job. I wish that I could work at home. My dream job would be in my pajamas!!!

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 11/08/2012 6:14 a.m. #

I've never gone through a work from home agency, but we do run our own business from home and get to enjoy many of the same benefits. I love being able to do work when I want to and make my own schedule.

• Money Beagle

Money Beagle 11/08/2012 7:07 a.m. #

I think there are so many scams out there that many people who might be interested get scared away in fear of getting taken for a ride.

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 9:30 a.m. #

@James It is unfortunate that the work at home options began as not so great jobs so even these days people who have never looked for a work at home job still think that. But things really have changed.

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 9:30 a.m. #

@Angie - You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 9:32 a.m. #

@Holly - I hear ya! Maybe one day.

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 9:33 a.m. #

@John - I agree. It is fun to work when you need to and take time off when you want to.

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 9:37 a.m. #

@MoneyBeagle - I absolutely agree that the scams of previous years have probably scared some people away from even trying.

But people need to realize that nowadays companies are hiring people sight unseen to work at home as Systems Admin, Business Consultants, Project Managers, IT Support, Programmers, Health Care Consultants, Marketing Managers, Social Media Managers and more.

It just really depends on what a person can do. If all they look for are ways to complete cheap surveys all day then that is all they will find.

• CF

CF 11/08/2012 9:44 a.m. #

A good compromise for many people is to find a job that let's them work from home one or two days a week. At the company I did my internship at, many employees worked from home at least once a week. It saves time and money on commuting and childcare!

• Leslie Truex

Leslie Truex 11/08/2012 9:52 a.m. #

Thank you for including Work-At-Home Success on your list of resources. And I wanted to note that I often see people saying they only find scams or its hard to find work-at-home jobs, but I believe the problem is that people have the wrong understanding of work-at-home jobs and therefore look for the wrong jobs in the wrong places. The reality is that work-at-home jobs are like traditional jobs. They require skills, experience and a stellar resume to get. People who telecommute perform many of the same jobs as in traditional jobs (customer service, teaching/tutoring, writing, nursing, accounting, etc). What they don't do is post ads, stuff envelopes or process email. The work is out there, but first you need to educate yourself about work-at-home jobs, and then identify your skills and experiences and look for work that need your talents.

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 11:30 a.m. #

@CF - Yes, I like that idea too. At my last corporate job I was able to work at home 5 days a week, but I did a lot of traveling too.

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 11:34 a.m. #

@Leslie - Thanks so much for commenting and clearing up the mindset that some people have around work at home jobs. Love your site! I've been following it for quite a while.

DC @ Young Adult Money 11/08/2012 4:25 p.m. #

This is a great list! Thanks for doing all the research. I really would like to work from home one day, but if I do it would (most likely) be as a small business owner or a contractor. Here's to making it happen!

Tackling Our Debt 11/08/2012 5:37 p.m. #

@DC - Sounds like a wonderful plan. A contractor is a great way to go.

• SWR

SWR 11/08/2012 7:10 p.m. #

That's a great list you've compiled. I feel like working at home is kind of like multi-level marketing...you have to start at the bottom with all of the low hanging fruit, but if you work hard you can really accelerate and move up in terms of quality of the work and pay.

• Pauline

Pauline 11/08/2012 7:44 p.m. #

That is a great list, I use the international ones but often there are people from cheaper countries making incredibly low bids and jobs are hard to get. Like you I prefer to work when I feel like it and love the independence it brings.

• Budget and the Beach

Budget and the Beach 11/09/2012 8:17 a.m. #

I think it's way more possible now that it was years ago. Even what I do with video editing. Before it used to be machine rooms and expensive and heavy equipment. Now I do what I do on my laptop. Mind blowing! I like the peace of working from home and not having a commute, but I also could work in an office.

• MakintheBacon$

MakintheBacon$ 11/11/2012 9:24 a.m. #

I get up at 5:15 am for work and trust me, I do not love it at all! lol. I don't have a typical office job, so there's no possible way to work at home.

Working at home definitely has its advantages though and perhaps I could do it as a side gig, but I'm not sure I could do it full-time. I think I might go crazy being at home for most of the day even if I am doing work in my pjs. I feel I would get distracted with other things to do around the house.

• Miranda

Miranda 12/12/2012 8:05 a.m. #

Thanks for including WAHAdventures.com on your list! It is a fantastic list for anyone thinking of beginning a work at home career or simply needing to add some additional income on the side.

Another fantastic resource you may want to consider adding to your list is http://realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com

I also find a lot of great information when I browse the forum at http://workplacelikehome.com