Are you thinking that you could use some extra spending money this Christmas? If you just nodded yes, and you're prepared to work for it instead of waiting for Santa Claus to bring you some, there are many ways to increase your income during the next several weeks.
Whether you want to buy more Christmas presents, or pay off the holiday charges on your credit cards quicker, the most obvious way to increase your income is with a part-time or full-time retail job.
At this time of year many retail outlets are looking for seasonal workers to help out with the increased business demands associated with the holidays and end of year sales.
Some of the most popular positions available at this time of year include customer service, grocery store cashiers, hospitality, food preparation, administrative or clerical, and sales.
Quite often office staff are needed on a temporary basis to cover full-time staff that are going on vacation for Christmas.
As well, many catering companies book a huge number of parties for Christmas and New Years and need people to work as bartenders, prep staff, waiters and cooks.
Tips to Help You Find Seasonal Work and Make Extra Money This Christmas
- Can you work full-time or part-time? Determine how many hours you can work between now and the rest of the year, and what type of work you want to do.
- Get out there and apply for jobs. Call catering companies in your area. Visit grocery stores and stores in your local shopping centres, and get your applications out there.
- Show that you are interested and excited. When you go for an interview tell them that you like the company and look forward to learning new skills. Tell them that you enjoy working with people. Never say that you are just looking for a quick way to make extra money for Christmas. Even though they already know that, they want to hire people that will do a good job, not slackers that are just there for the money
- Dress to impress. Even if the job that you are applying for doesn’t require you to be dressed up you should still dress nicely for the interview. Showing up in jeans and a t-shirt is so wrong, unless you are looking for work on a beach as a lifeguard.
- Keep your options open. Once you begin your new job work hard at keeping busy and making a good impression. Why? Because you might find that once you begin working there that you really like your new job and would like to continue working there after Christmas has come and gone. And even if there is no option to work there after the holidays, it is always nice to have a good job reference should you ever need one in the future.
Another excellent way to make extra money is to setup your own small business based on all of the services that people need at this time of the year.
You could do things such as:
- Setup your own small catering company for small events
- Sell your services as a party planner
- Offer to do other people’s Christmas gift shopping
- Hang Christmas lights and decorate homes or offices for Christmas
- Bake and sell cakes, cupcakes and Christmas cookies
- Wrap Christmas gifts
- Create and sell Gourmet Christmas baskets
- Create and sell Christmas Crafts at local Christmas fairs
- Organize, sign, and mail Christmas cards for businesses or personal use
- Offer to do other people’s grocery shopping for Christmas
There are so many different things that you can do this Christmas to make money, but you need to be creative and get started right away.
Can you think of some ways that people could make extra money for Christmas?