Could You Use Some Extra Money This Christmas?

make extra money

Are you thinking that you could use some extra spending money this Christmas? If you just nodded yes, and you're prepared to work for it instead of waiting for Santa Claus to bring you some, there are many ways to increase your income during the next several weeks.

Whether you want to buy more Christmas presents, or pay off the holiday charges on your credit cards quicker, the most obvious way to increase your income is with a part-time or full-time retail job.

At this time of year many retail outlets are looking for seasonal workers to help out with the increased business demands associated with the holidays and end of year sales.

Some of the most popular positions available at this time of year include customer service, grocery store cashiers, hospitality, food preparation, administrative or clerical, and sales.

Quite often office staff are needed on a temporary basis to cover full-time staff that are going on vacation for Christmas.

As well, many catering companies book a huge number of parties for Christmas and New Years and need people to work as bartenders, prep staff, waiters and cooks.

Tips to Help You Find Seasonal Work and Make Extra Money This Christmas

• Can you work full-time or part-time? Determine how many hours you can work between now and the rest of the year, and what type of work you want to do.
  • Get out there and apply for jobs. Call catering companies in your area. Visit grocery stores and stores in your local shopping centres, and get your applications out there.
  • Show that you are interested and excited. When you go for an interview tell them that you like the company and look forward to learning new skills. Tell them that you enjoy working with people. Never say that you are just looking for a quick way to make extra money for Christmas. Even though they already know that, they want to hire people that will do a good job, not slackers that are just there for the money
  • Dress to impress. Even if the job that you are applying for doesn’t require you to be dressed up you should still dress nicely for the interview. Showing up in jeans and a t-shirt is so wrong, unless you are looking for work on a beach as a lifeguard.
  • Keep your options open. Once you begin your new job work hard at keeping busy and making a good impression. Why? Because you might find that once you begin working there that you really like your new job and would like to continue working there after Christmas has come and gone. And even if there is no option to work there after the holidays, it is always nice to have a good job reference should you ever need one in the future.

Another excellent way to make extra money is to setup your own small business based on all of the services that people need at this time of the year.

You could do things such as:

• Setup your own small catering company for small events
  • Sell your services as a party planner
  • Offer to do other people’s Christmas gift shopping
  • Hang Christmas lights and decorate homes or offices for Christmas
  • Bake and sell cakes, cupcakes and Christmas cookies
  • Wrap Christmas gifts
  • Create and sell Gourmet Christmas baskets
  • Create and sell Christmas Crafts at local Christmas fairs
  • Organize, sign, and mail Christmas cards for businesses or personal use
  • Offer to do other people’s grocery shopping for Christmas

There are so many different things that you can do this Christmas to make money, but you need to be creative and get started right away.

Can you think of some ways that people could make extra money for Christmas?

Comments

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 11/21/2012 6:41 a.m. #

These are all great ideas! People could also sell stuff they don't want/use on craigslist to make some extra Christmas cash.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 11/21/2012 8:38 a.m. #

Great tips Sicorra! I don't know if it exactly qualifies, but we've used credit card rewards in the past as it's basically free money that we can use on gifts.

• Janine

Janine 11/21/2012 8:53 a.m. #

I was walking through the mall the other day and i couldn't believe how many seasonal staff members each store is hiring. I would say walking through the mall and talking to the staff is the best bet plus then you can see who you would be working with!

DC @ Young Adult Money 11/21/2012 9:06 a.m. #

Sicorra, I have a new name for you: the queen of side income! You always have new ideas of how to make money!

I definitely would recommend that people look for extra work around the holidays. With so much money being spent in such a short time frame, companies definitely need help. I like your creative ideas, though. One thing I wish I knew more about was electrical work. I think there is a big market for people who want an extra outlet added or need some maintenance work done. Might write a post about it in the future...

• Marissa @ Thirty Six Months

Marissa @ Thirty Six Months 11/21/2012 11:44 a.m. #

I've worked at the mall during that holidays and I loved it. The days flew by. I would do it again if I had the time.

Tackling Our Debt 11/21/2012 11:44 a.m. #

@Holly - Yes some people are very good at selling their stuff for extra money.

@John - Very true! Some people do save up their reward money all year to use at Christmas.

Tackling Our Debt 11/21/2012 11:45 a.m. #

@Janine - I know, most of the stores at our local malls are hiring too. And the thing is you really do not need any special qualifications other than to be a friendly person. You can learn the rest while you are there.

Tackling Our Debt 11/21/2012 11:46 a.m. #

@DC - Thanks very much! I like the idea of the electrical work, especially if someone wanted a new outlet outside to plug their Christmas lights into. At this time of year a person needs to draw on their strengths.

Tackling Our Debt 11/21/2012 11:48 a.m. #

@Marissa - Exactly. Working at the mall can be a lot of fun. Sometimes you can get nice employee discounts at whichever store you work at as well.

• Grayson @ Debt Rounup

Grayson @ Debt Rounup 11/21/2012 12:15 p.m. #

Nice tips Sicorra. I usually try to help out others with tasks that they need complete and I get paid for it. I have done yard work in the past, helped people move, clean, and even setup their electronics. Whatever I needed to do to have money for Christmas.

Tackling Our Debt 11/21/2012 12:27 p.m. #

@Grayson - You've done some great stuff. I think setting up electronics is a great service to offer. How often do people get new equipment around the holidays and then have no clue how to get it all to work together like it did in the store?

• Cat

Cat 11/21/2012 2:08 p.m. #

I know the shopping for others is popular. I've heard of unemployed folks standing in line for others on Black Friday.

Tackling Our Debt 11/21/2012 2:31 p.m. #

@Cat - Yeah, why not? Lots of people with money hate shopping and will happily pay someone else to do it for them.

• Catherine

Catherine 11/21/2012 4:53 p.m. #

I agree, you are always coming up with smart ways to make money! I wish I had the time and resources to do some of these this as well as it being hard to commit to anything with a baby who is exclusively breastfed. The one thing I almost did was sell Christmas wreaths, a florist makes them up and sells them to people who want to re-sell them for 15.00 each and you, in turn re-sell for 25-30 each, the reason I didn't was because I had to commit to an order of 25 wreaths and didn't have the extra 400 bucks laying around or time to nail down 25 potential buyers, it's a novel idea though.

• KK @ Student Debt Survivor

KK @ Student Debt Survivor 11/21/2012 7:38 p.m. #

One of my good friends makes the most delicious rum cakes. I only recently found out she sells them too esp. around the holidays (and I'd be waiting for my bday to get one). She told me that during Nov/Dec she made over $700 last year-and could have made more but ran out of time. Not too shabby for a side business that she enjoys.

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 11/21/2012 9:56 p.m. #

Great list. I would also add pet sitting or house sitting for people who are traveling for the holidays. You'd probably have to start with someone you know and build a reputation, but I think you can make some pretty easy money this way.

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 11/22/2012 4:02 a.m. #

Wonderful ideas! One more for the jolly people out there - Be a store Santa :)

• Pauline

Pauline 11/22/2012 6:36 a.m. #

Great ideas! I used to wrap gifts when I was a scout, a big store would give us all the wrapping paper and we worked on tips, we made good money to finance our camping trips. I also picked up a lot of shifts at my normal jobs because people wanted to be on holidays, and I could have those days paid, or some time off in summer instead.

Tackling Our Debt 11/22/2012 9:34 a.m. #

@Catherine - I love the idea of reselling Christmas Wreaths.

@KK - Very creative way for your friend to make money. Rum cakes are so delicious too. I bought a few when I was in Jamaica years ago.

Tackling Our Debt 11/22/2012 9:34 a.m. #

@Kim - Yes, I completely forgot about house sitting and pet sitting. People pay well for those services too because they want the security of knowing everything will be okay.

@Glen - We always see a Santa in the malls at this time of year. Wonder how much they get paid to take pictures all day with kids.

@Pauline - I use to see gift wrap booths at the malls for people who didn't want to do it themselves. And I agree, it is the perfect time to grab some overtime at your current job if a person is in that position.

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 11/23/2012 4:37 a.m. #

I don't think being a Santa probably pays that well, but the stores near us are promoting a "Santa Paws" Christmas special.
      Essentially you can have a photo with you Santa and your pooch.

How cool is that!

• David Leonhardt

David Leonhardt 11/27/2012 7:51 p.m. #

Same rules as always (the five bullet points), different opportunities (especially in retail and in temporary services to busy consumers - wrapping, delivery, decorating, etc.).

• CF

CF 11/30/2012 8:15 p.m. #

Great ideas - I think getting a seasonal job is one of the easiest. I got one of my retail jobs back in university by applying to be a seasonal employee. They kept me on afterwards too.