Friday's Circle of Friends - November 23

lake louise

Winter at Lake Louise, Alberta

As my husband knows as soon as I see that first snowflake I get depressed. But in the past 2 months we have had more snow than we did all of last winter and it hasn’t been bothering me this year.

It could easily be because I don’t have to drive in it. Throughout the year I am happy to drive anywhere but when it comes to driving in snow and ice conditions I am quite the nervous Nelly. And as I was following the traffic reports for our city on Twitter today I was seeing one accident report after another. So happy not to be driving today.

Last night we were outside later in the evening shoveling the new snow and as I looked around I began thinking about the things I do like about the snow and cold weather.

What I Love About Winter

I love the smell of the neighbour’s wood burning fireplace.

During the day, like today, I love the way the snow sits on top of all of the tree branches and looks so beautiful and white with the blue sky in the background.

I love the view of the snow covered mountains from my bedroom and kitchen windows.

Anytime after dark it still looks quite bright out because of the way the street lights reflect off of the white snow.

All of the trees and houses look like something out of a beautiful old fashioned Christmas card with all of the snow piled on top of them.

And we typically get dry snow flakes that look like white table salt. Not sure if you can picture that.

But yesterday we woke up to heavy wet snow that made our backyard look like it was covered in heaps of white marshmallows.

It was so beautiful and it instantly reminded me of a very fun song that we use to sing in grade school.

Can you think of what I am talking about? It is called “It’s A Marshmallow World in the Winter”.

I listened to it yesterday and it instantly made me smile. As you listen to the words you will find that it is also a very inspirational tune, as they sing “the world is your snowball...”.

Watch Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra dance and have fun!

On to this week’s Circle of Friends from around the world.

circle of friendsDC at YoungAdultMoney wrote Why You Need Health Insurance. He makes a very good point that even if you are currently healthy you have to be prepared for sudden health related emergencies.

Brian at the Outlier Model wrote a very interesting post about a service in Vancouver that I wasn’t aware of, but it makes so much sense to use it – Why I Use a Car Share

KK at Student Debt Survivor gives us a very interesting peek into the world of wealthy people and what she witnessed while working for some – Why I Was Afraid of Being Rich

Pauline at Reach Financial Independence writes more about her adventures in her new home in Guatemala – Little house in Guatemala, week 3

Catherine at Plunged in Debt put together a super cute post on How To Fake A More Expensive Christmas Gift

Glen at Monster Piggy Bank has been writing a series of posts to show us what it was like for him and his wife to build a brand new house in Australia. Check out the beautiful pictures in his post Buying Land and Building a House – Part 3

Kim at Eyes On The Dollar wrote a sweet post about how you can give the gift of time instead of money to your favorite charities – Charitable Giving: Your Time Is As Valuable As Money

John at Frugal Rules shares a guest post written by Kim about looking after your health from a financial point of view – Be an Advocate For Your Own Health Care

L.Bee from L Bee and the Money Tree wrote a very personal post about how her blog has helped so many different areas of her life – I am Thankful For

Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 11/23/2012 4:35 a.m. #

I now have a huge desire to go to Lake Louise, Alberta...

Thanks for the inclusion this week Sicorra! Have a great weekend :)

• L Bee and the Money Tree

L Bee and the Money Tree 11/23/2012 6:30 a.m. #

That pic is amazing! Is that where you live? Gorgeous! Thanks for the link-up!

• Pauline

Pauline 11/23/2012 6:37 a.m. #

Thank you for the mention! I wanted to visit lake Louise last year, it looks amazingly beautiful, but my BF didn't get a visa so we were stuck in Seattle. A white winter is so beautiful. Apart from waking up when it is still dark outside.

• John S @ Frugsal Rules

John S @ Frugsal Rules 11/23/2012 6:46 a.m. #

Thanks so much for the mention Sicorra! My wife feels the same way about driving in the snow & ice. We've lived in the Midwest for 10 years, but she's a native of San Diego, so the weather always throws her for a loop. Be careful driving in it! It always seems like people in our area drive even crazier when all the winter weather starts.

• Catherine

Catherine 11/23/2012 7:10 a.m. #

Thanks Sicorra! I can't wait to go to Banff some day! It's so expensive to fly across the country though :( I agree, as much as I hate the cold/shoveling etc snow is so pretty! Happy weekend :)

• KK @ Student Debt Survivor

KK @ Student Debt Survivor 11/23/2012 7:40 a.m. #

I hate winter too. Growing up in Maine, snow always seemed to find a way to ruin my plans. The only good part about snow was snow days, but then you had to make them up at the end of the school year when you were already restless to be done for the summer. Thanks for including me!

• Brian

Brian 11/23/2012 7:46 a.m. #

Thanks for the mention! I also like it when the snow hangs from the trees, but I can count the number of times that's happened in the past five years on one hand. It just doesn't get that cold out on the west coast!

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 5 a.m. #

@Glen - Lake Louise is such a beautiful place. People do come from all over the world just to see it.

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 6:40 a.m. #

@L Bee - I live pretty close to there. Lovely place.

@Pauline - You will have to come back one day for a visit.

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 7:06 a.m. #

@John - After she lived in beautiful San Diego I can easily see why she wouldn't like driving in the winter either.

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 7:20 a.m. #

@Catherine - I know, even with Westjet it is still so expensive to fly anywhere in Canada. Nuts!

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 7:45 a.m. #

@KK - If you had a snow day throughout the school year you had to stay in school a few days longer come summer? I've never heard of that. As a kid we had the odd snow day. They didn't make us make them up.

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 8:07 a.m. #

@Brian - I know the west coast has it nice. My old Boss lived in Vancouver because she hated snow and anytime while I worked with her that they had the slightest amount of snow I would always phone and check up on her.

DC @ Young Adult Money 11/23/2012 12:29 p.m. #

Thank you so much for including my post about health insurance. While there is an affiliate incentive in the post, it is something that is very, very important to me and I truly think everyone should have health insurance so they don't have to worry (as much) about big medical bills.

Also I have to point out that my wife is the EXACT SAME WAY as you on this "It could easily be because I don’t have to drive in it. Throughout the year I am happy to drive anywhere but when it comes to driving in snow and ice conditions I am quite the nervous Nelly." She doesn't mind the winter as long as she doesn't have to drive. But the thing is, she does have to drive to get to her jobs. I'm hoping that one day we will have a better setup where she can take the bus or have a shorter commute or something that will make her more comfortable.

Tackling Our Debt 11/23/2012 1:06 p.m. #

@DC - I agree with you that health insurance is important and I liked the way you wove the affiliate stuff into your very well detailed post.

Is it a girl thing when it comes to not liking to drive in snow and ice?? I hope your wife does well driving this winter.

I just have to say that I have never heard a man say that he doesn't like to drive in the winter. Sometimes they will even say it is fun. Actually I remember this guy in high school that would go and spin his car in mall parking lots for fun in the snow.

• Janine

Janine 11/23/2012 5:28 p.m. #

Lake Louise is so pretty, I'm excited to head back their in January! Be careful on the roads!!!!! Have a great weekend =)

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 11/23/2012 10:41 p.m. #

I wish you could send some of that snow our way. We really need it. I'd even take some snow driving for a good storm. Thanks for mentioning me twice. Have a great weekend.