Evaluating Your Life as It Stands Today

evaluating your life

Have you ever taken the time to evaluate your life as it stands today? I mean every aspect of your life.

When you do an inventory of your life as it currently stands you will benefit in two ways.

First you will see in black and white all of the things you have accomplished in your lifetime and how well you are doing, which is always extremely helpful.

Secondly you will have a very clear picture of the things in your life that you may want to make changes to and improve upon so that your life just keeps getting better and better. You will find that doing this evaluation exercise will definitely assist you in making positive changes in your life.

When I completed this exercise to evaluate my own life I found it incredibly helpful and quite easy.  Working through it allowed me to review and address important areas of my life.

As I worked on each question and listed my answers, I was able to define new priorities for my life and identify the things that matter most to me.

An Exercise That Will Help You Evaluate Your Life

You can start by sorting the details of your life into several categories so that your assessment does not become overwhelming.

To get the best results from this, first, make yourself a nice cup of hot tea or coffee.  Then grab a pen and some paper.

Take your time and relax as you work through this exercise.  Stick with it!  I know you will find it very informative.

The categories for this evaluation include:

Health

Financial

Spiritual

Relationships

Personal

Below are questions for each category. Use a new sheet of paper for each category. Write down the questions along with your answers.

Health

1. How well do I eat?

2. Am I at my ideal weight?

3. Am I in excellent health?

4. How many days per year am I sick?

5. How often am I sick with a cold or the flu?

6. Do I exercise at least 3 times a week for 40 minutes?

7. Do I get a good 8 hours of sleep per night?

8. Should I consider taking a good daily multi-vitamin?

9. Do I wake up energized, or stressed and tired?

10. Am I working more than 40 hours a week?

Financial

1. Am I earning my desired income?

2. Is my credit score in good to excellent status?

3. Am I saving and investing at least 10% of my weekly pay check?

4. Is my net worth what I want it to be?

5. Do I have a good retirement savings plan in place that I contribute to each month?

6. Am I happy with the amount of money I have?

Spiritual

1. Do I worry about the past or the future?

2. Is my life filled with joy and peace of mind?

3. Do I take time each day to appreciate and be grateful for everything I currently have in my life?

4. Do I spend at least 30 minutes of my day in peace and quiet on my own?

5. Do I challenge myself everyday to be the best that I can be?

Relationships

1. Do I take the time to acknowledge and enjoy all the significant people in my life?

2. Am I open to welcoming new people into my life and work at making new friends?

3. Do my relationships enhance and support my life?

4. Do I get along well with my boss and my co-workers?

5. Am I courteous and polite to people that I come in contact with throughout my day, be it the cashier at the grocery store, the waitress at lunch time, or the person who served me coffee?

Personal

1. Do I stand up for what I believe in?

2. Do I have the time and flexibility to do whatever I choose?

3. Do I feel that I am good enough as I am today?

4. Am I living the life that I have always dreamed of?

5. Do I take as many vacations a year as I would like?

6. Are there any adventurous activities that I would like to try?

7. Do I live in my dream location?

8. Am I happy with my current lifestyle - single, relationship, married?

9. Do I love my current occupation?

As you review and answer these questions think about what you love, what you could do differently, and how you can make positive changes in your life.

I hope it helps you too!

Readers: Do you evaluate your life several times a year to see where you stand? What questions have I missed?

Comments

• Budget and the Beach

Budget and the Beach 11/26/2012 7:54 a.m. #

I just spent the weekend doing that sort of thing! It's good to check in with this kind of thing fairly often because things can change quickly. Great post that I think everyone will benefit from!

• Catherine

Catherine 11/26/2012 8:02 a.m. #

I don't write things down but I try and live in a 'perspective life' where at least once a day I put my situation in perspective with the rest of the world to remind myself how lucky I am. We're working on the finances and have finally found a solution that works for us and I'm working on the health thing. I try and walk 5km/day most days of the week. It's been too windy and cold (70km/hr winds) to take the baby out the last 2 days and I'm itching to get outside which makes me happy-that I've found the exercise desire again.

Corina Ramos 11/26/2012 9:45 a.m. #

This is a great post to really analyze your life. I'm already failing the health portion, so there's my red flag! Thanks for sharing this!

Have a wonderful week my friend!
      Corina

• Debt Roundup

Debt Roundup 11/26/2012 10:04 a.m. #

This is a very thought provoking post Sicorra. I try to evaluate my life every year around this same time. I have not used all of the questions you pose, but I think I am going to add them to my question list.

• Shannon Ryan @ The Heavy Purse

Shannon Ryan @ The Heavy Purse 11/26/2012 10:57 a.m. #

These are excellent questions, Sicorra. A great exercise to help us slow down and really evaluate where we stand. Too often we're so caught up in running here and there that we forget to make sure we're focusing on the things that really matter. Great post!

• Mandy @MoneyMasterMom

Mandy @MoneyMasterMom 11/26/2012 12:29 p.m. #

I know there are areas in my life that I want to make improvements. I generally always tell myself maybe when my kids grow up a little and aren't so demanding of my time. I realize there are some glaring issues with making this a problem for future Mandy but there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to be well rested, get enough exercise, do enough work so we'll have enough money, or enough time to make sure your spiritual and human relationship are where you want them to be.

• Janine

Janine 11/26/2012 1:27 p.m. #

Great list! I will be spending some time on it this coming week!

AverageJoe 11/26/2012 7:06 p.m. #

Just what the Dr. ordered today.

When I was bat-sh$% crazy I hired a life coach. She was a life saver and when it would get just out of control she'd take me through this list (we started with the same broad headers you've listed and wrote our score as a scale of 1-10). Then we'd drill deeper into questions similar to these.

It's a good day for these questions. It feels crazy after a week away and I need a refocus.

• Pauline

Pauline 11/26/2012 8:19 p.m. #

I don't question the health and spiritual part enough. It is great to think about what path you want to take often, as your thoughts will convert into actions and determine what you will become. It is so easy to get absorbed in a daily routine when you are numbed by a busy life, social obligations or TV and don't question anything.

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 11/27/2012 4:33 a.m. #

That is a really good list....and when you put it in that perspective I feel pretty darn lucky! There is always foor for improvement though.

• Debt and the Girl

Debt and the Girl 11/27/2012 8:29 a.m. #

Checking in is important. I really need to do more of it. I really like the ispirational tone of your posts. It is good to make sure that you feel like you are doing ok with yourself. Thats so very important.

• Allison Martin

Allison Martin 11/27/2012 10:08 a.m. #

What an awesome post! Thanks for sharing.

• kathleen

kathleen 11/27/2012 1:07 p.m. #

I just copied and pasted this whole list into my Google docs! Thanks, Sicorra.

• Deacon

Deacon 11/27/2012 4:15 p.m. #

What a great post! I actually do something very similar where I have created a "Lifeplan" that is in writing. It has been very helpful in making sure that my actions line up with the legacy I want to leave. I will be sure to come back to your post the next time I update my lifeplan for more ideas.

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 11/27/2012 5:35 p.m. #

These are excellent questions! It could be helpful to write down your answers & review them from time to time. I also like to keep a list of things that I am grateful for to look at whenever I'm feeling discouraged. It really helps to remember all the things that are going right with your life! Thanks for a great post!

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 11/27/2012 9:25 p.m. #

I think many of those questions have led us to the path we are on now to be more deliberate and responsible with our finances and spend less time working to do the things we love. I don't think I ever get 8 hours of sleep or 30 minutes of peace and quiet though. Mabye sometime in the next decade.

• FI Fighter

FI Fighter 11/27/2012 11:12 p.m. #

Great list! It's a bit sad though, b/c when I look at it, I realize that I'm really only doing well in the career/financial department. This is telling me that work is just taking up too much of my time. I would really love to focus more on health and personal relationships.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 5 a.m. #

@Glen - I am not sure if what you experienced was good or bad, but I am certainly glad to see that you are here and well and happy.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 6:32 a.m. #

@Dc - Thank you! Let us know how it goes. Maybe it could turn into a new post for you on your blog.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 7:33 a.m. #

@John - Thanks John! I think it is great the you and your wife do it together so that you know which direction you are both heading in and what each of your priorities are in life.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 8 a.m. #

@Budget and the Beach - Thanks for stopping by! I agree that things do change quickly. I think doing an evaluation can perhaps help people get back on track if something in their life does change and goes in the wrong direction. This exercise also helps to show us where are strengths lie.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 8:35 a.m. #

@Catherine - I do the perspective thing too, especially if I find my mind heading into a self-pitty party. Very good to hear that you guys are on track financially!

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 9:58 a.m. #

@Corina - When a person is as busy as you are somethings gotta give. Don't stress about your health too much. Just relax more.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 10:33 a.m. #

@Debt Roundup - There is definitely a lot to think about. I think touching on each area at this time of the year is very important. Good for you for working on it every year too.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 11:15 a.m. #

@Shannon - I have been caught many times in life with just running here and there and not setting priorities. It can really mess things up.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 1 p.m. #

@Mandy - I know. If only there were more hours in a day, right? You guys have worked incredibly hard on your finances and when it comes to the rest I'm sure you are doing better than you may think right now.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 2 p.m. #

@Janine - Thanks! Hope it works out for you!

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 7:30 p.m. #

@AverageJoe - Hiring a life coach is a brilliant idea! Many times we need someone who is completely objective to give us a good kick in the butt and get us on track again.

Tackling Our Debt 11/26/2012 9 p.m. #

@Pauline - Will the health and spiritual aspects be easier to work on in Guatemala once you get all settled in? I picture it as a more laid back, relaxed atmosphere that encourages better health.

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 8 a.m. #

@Holly - That is perfect Holly! It is meant to show people how well they are already doing as their life stands today.

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 9 a.m. #

@Debt and the Girl - Thanks very much! Many times the point of the evaluation is not to highlight where you are lacking but to clearly show you where you are doing well which in turn will boost your self confidence.

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 11 a.m. #

@Allison - Thanks! Hope to see you around more!

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 3 p.m. #

@Kathleen - That is so cool. Maybe you could share your results in a post on your blog.

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 5 p.m. #

@Deacon - Your life plan sounds amazing. Having it all written down makes all the difference, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by!

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 6 p.m. #

@Maggie - Exactly! It is so important to create those positive messages for ourselves.

That is the key to this exercise. To really highlight what you are doing right and to review them to see how you have improved over time.

Tackling Our Debt 11/27/2012 10 p.m. #

@Kim - You guys are a great example of how working on these things will help you to achieve so much in your life and improve your finances.

Tackling Our Debt 11/28/2012 8 a.m. #

@FI Fighter - You are not alone. Many people focus on career and money for years and years and only worry about their health when something happens. But if you can be proactive with your health and find a good balance you will be in a better position to handle the demands of your career even more than you are now.