Dispel the Myth That All Work at Home Jobs are Crap

work at home jobs are crap

Today’s post is an interview that I did with Corina Ramos from Work-from-Home Concepts. Corina and I are strong believers that there are excellent work at home jobs available out there and we’ve joined forces to dispel the myth that all work at home jobs are crap. Please give my friend Corina a warm welcome, enjoy and share her interview. Thanks Corina!

Corina, please share a bit about your background.

corina ramosI’ve been a work from home Mom since 2007 and researching work from home jobs since 2003. The reason why it took me four years to quit my job was the financial security and fear of the unknown. Until I had enough 60-hour work weeks and just did it. I don’t regret it at all. I have a total of 15 years work experience ranging from customer service to staff management. I’m also doing consults to help people find the right job and get ready for it by helping them prepare resumes and cover letters.

Why do you think that so many people believe that work at home jobs are either low paying jobs or scams?

I think there’s still a misconception about work from home jobs because there are so many scams online that people are reluctant to go for any opportunity for fear that they’ll be taken for a scam.

Most telecommuting jobs will start off on a lower end starting pay and this is for entry level positions; however there are some companies that will pay based on experience and offer pay increases.

But the good thing is that there are better opportunities now then there was several years ago.

I’ve seen a work from home customer service position with a sign on bonus!

Companies like:

• Apple
  • Hilton
  • Enterprise
  • United Health Group
  • Nordstrom

are just some of the companies that now hire work at home reps.

Have you personally been caught by a work at home scam?  What happened in your case?

Back in 2007 I left my office job and decided to work from home. I was in a hurry to bring a second income back and I did what most people do who are anxious, and that was rushing into a job I didn’t do enough research on.

I had answered an ad for doing data entry with a weekly salary of $500. The so-called recruiter would only contact me via email or instant message and when I asked for a number they responded that it was more convenient to communicate in email or IM because they were always on the go.

They asked me several questions and I was hired on the spot.

I had to pay $5 to get a training packet and I paid this via PayPal.

When I received the packet, it was instructions for typing the same ad I answered and post them on hiring boards. I’d send them the same training material and that’s how I would make my money.

By this time, I was a little smarter and getting hip to what the scammers were up to.

I had answered another ad and also been hired for clerical work.

I was going to be sent a check that I needed to deposit in my bank and forward that to someone else. Of course I would keep a certain percentage as my “pay”.

I did receive a check in the mail and when I called the bank to verify it I was advised that the company had reported stolen checks. I emailed the “hiring manager” and told him about the check and I never heard from him again.

This is what encouraged me to put all my homework and my research on a website and to help other people find real jobs.

I know what it’s like to be almost desperate for a job, only to have someone try to scam you. Or to find a website that you feel you can trust their jobs even if they are a little over the top, like the one I answered, or ads that exaggerate the pay scale.

There’s no time for all that bull especially when families need the income like now.

What types of work at home jobs are people finding nowadays?

There’s a demand for customer service reps, technical support, and sales reps. I’ve also seen postings for nurses, teachers, and even website and software developers are working from home now.

What advice or strategies can you suggest for people that would really like to find a work at home job?

It’s important they find a resource that’s trustworthy. Do research on the site to make sure they’re not just posting any work from home job.

Once they’ve found a job, do homework on the company as well to make sure it’s a legitimate company, especially if they’ve never heard of them before. Check the BBB and a general web search to see if anything comes up. Look for good contact information other than an email address.

Any tips on how to spot a scam that initially appears to be a good work at home job?

1. Anything that exaggerates earning potential is a major red flag.

2. When there is no contact information like a working phone number or company information available.

3. When you’re asked to send money. You should never have to pay for anything unless you have to buy equipment like a headset.

And the old saying, “if it’s too good to be true, then it really is.” Always keep this in mind. I hope this information helps!

Comments

• Money Beagle

Money Beagle 11/28/2012 6:41 a.m. #

Very good advice. I think the reason most people shy away is because there are so many scams out there. One thing that I have heard can be very well paying is a medical transcription job.

• Michelle

Michelle 11/28/2012 7:24 a.m. #

These are all great tips! Definitely something that I want to look into.

• Debt Roundup

Debt Roundup 11/28/2012 8:23 a.m. #

Great interview with Corina, Sicorra. The work from home industry has been taken over by scammers. While there are many great, legitimate work from home opportunities, they are overshadowed by scams. People always want to make money by doing nothing, so they fall for these scams.

Corina Ramos 11/28/2012 10:03 a.m. #

Thanks for letting me help out dispel those crazy myths Sicorra! And Pauline, you're right, it is better to do an interview in person. More companies feel the same way, after all they have something to lose in this as well. This is why more job descriptions include a requirement that applicants live in the same location as the headquarters or company location.

However, in the event of a telephone interview it's okay to interview them. Ask them about their company, what the job description is, how will you communicate, where is the company headquartered, anything that will put you at ease. If they are legitimate they will not fret about answering your questions. Hope this helps : )

• Lisa

Lisa 11/28/2012 3:14 p.m. #

Fascinating Corina. I had looked into these a few years back and got discouraged seeing what was out there. You really seemed to work through the clutter of it all. It was an impressive list of companies too that offered jobs at home. I'll have to pass this on to a friend who has a child with autism and is good with a computer but cannot work long hours away from home. Thanks!

Sicorra 11/28/2012 5 a.m. #

@Pauline - yes an interview would likely make both sides comfortable if it is logistically possible.

@Glen - There are a number of people that have made huge money blogging full-time, but they don't usually do it single handed. They usually have an office of people working with them to be successful.

Sicorra 11/28/2012 6:30 a.m. #

@John - I completely agree with you on both points. I think as companies become more accustom to using oline methods to their advantage, more workfromhome jobs will be available.

Sicorra 11/28/2012 7 a.m. #

@Money Beagle - yes, there are actually online courses that a person can take to qualify for a medical transcription job and from what I have learned, those jobs pay quite nicely.

Sicorra 11/28/2012 9 a.m. #

@Debt Roundup - People do need to be careful, that is for sure. But finding any type of job takes work.

Sicorra 11/28/2012 11 a.m. #

@Corina - Thanks again! I so appreciate you taking the time to do this with me.

Sicorra 11/28/2012 4:30 p.m. #

@Lisa - Please do pass this post on. There are so many legitimate call centre work from home jobs available these days for very reputable companies.

DC @ Young Adult Money 11/28/2012 4:33 p.m. #

I have a friend who works from home full-time as a teacher. It seems to work out pretty well for her! I personally would love a job where I don't have a physical office to go to, and I'm definitely always looking at potential opportunities to do so.

Tackling Our Debt 11/28/2012 4:40 p.m. #

@DC - Teaching and tutoring from home have become very popular.

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 11/29/2012 5:10 a.m. #

I think that working at home sounds amazing! I don't think I would ever get out of my pajamas. That is good to know that there are actually companies that hire people to work at home.

AverageJoe 11/29/2012 11:40 a.m. #

The rip off scam she describes is incredible. They basically tell you immediately that they scammed you and then encourage you to pass it on!

• Cat

Cat 11/29/2012 12:49 p.m. #

There are definitely opportunities - but you need to do your research and have the right qualifications. Great post!

Tackling Our Debt 11/29/2012 1:36 p.m. #

@Holly - more and more companies are getting on board as they realize how much they save by doing it. Even Pizza Hut is hiring in Canada right now for work from home positions.

@AverageJoe - Sometimes the scams are incredibly funny.

@Cat - Thanks! Research is key!

• Cat@BudgetBlonde.com

Cat@BudgetBlonde.com 11/29/2012 5:44 p.m. #

Great post! I love working from home doing contributive writing, and I'd love to make it my full time gig some day. I've encountered a few scammy things, but on the whole I've had great luck working with other bloggers!
      Best,
      Cat @ BudgetBlonde.com

Tackling Our Debt 11/29/2012 6 p.m. #

@Cat - Thanks! I know you have done really well doing work from home writing. I found your posts on the sites you work for. They are excellent!

• eemusings

eemusings 12/07/2012 3:40 a.m. #

I guess the thing is there are SO many scams it's overwhelming; the proportion of genuine jobs is small and probably most people wouldn't know where to look. I remember my fiance applied for one that turned out to be one of those money transferring schemes - and that ad was actually posted on a major reputable job site.