My Favorite Childhood Christmas Memories @TacklingOurDebt

favorite childhood christmas memories

favorite christmas memories

A few weeks ago, as the snow was falling outside, I started to think about Christmas. I began planning a Christmas post in my mind about My Favorite Childhood Christmas Memories. As I started listing the things that I would write about I got the idea that it could be fun to turn this post into a blogging party by inviting a bunch of friends (fellow bloggers from around the world) to join me today and to each write about their own favorite Christmas memories.  Many people jumped on board and today we are all sharing stories from when we were kids.

My Favorite Childhood Christmas Memories

Our family was small and my parents were very traditional and conservative people. Each year we knew what to expect, and as kids we always looked forward to it.

The Christmas Tree

christmas ornaments

Early in December my father would always decorate the outside of our house with Christmas lights and as a kid I remember going out to a tree lot each year with him to find the best real Christmas tree we could find.

I loved the smell of fresh pine! That smell instantly boosted my Christmas spirit. I remember one year, many months after Christmas, I found some old pine needles in the box of one of the board games that I had received that year as a present, and as soon as I opened it I could smell the pine scent.

I remember these huge round shiny ornaments that we had in a variety of Christmas colours. I would always hang them around the bottom of the tree. You could see your reflection in them. At night I would sometimes sit alone in the living room with only the Christmas lights on and just look at the tree and those shiny ornaments for hours.

Favorite Christmas Cartoon

Every year there were a number of Christmas cartoons that we would watch in the weeks leading up to Christmas day. I still watch many of them today. My favorite of all time was, and still is, the Christmas cartoon known as Burl Ives – Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964).

I Love This Christmas Song

I’ve always enjoyed so many different Christmas songs too, but my favorite childhood one would definitely be the Christmas song Snoopy vs. The Red Baron (Snoopy’s Christmas). We had this on a 45 rpm record (do you know what that is?). I played it so often that the record warped.

Merry Christmas my friend!

Delicious Christmas Cookies

When I was old enough that I was allowed to bake I always made my favorite cookies for Christmas. I called them Christmas M&M Cookies. The recipe is a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe, but instead of the chocolate chips I would take a bag of green and red milk chocolate M&Ms and use a mallet to smash them into tiny pieces. Then I would add them to my cookie dough and bake Christmas M&M Cookies.

How Did Santa Get In?

My parents were originally from Europe and when they were kids they began their Christmas celebrations on Christmas Eve. That is one of the many traditions that we carried on throughout our lives.

My parents would get up super early on the 24th of December and we would spend all day in the kitchen making a huge traditional dinner that would be waiting for us later in the evening after we came home from church. I can smell it now!

At around 5 o’clock, once everything was set for dinner, we would get all dressed up and leave. We would pile into the family car to head off to church. More often than not there was plenty of snow outside by this time of year and this was a great time to look at all of the outdoor lights and Christmas decorations throughout our city.

Our church was huge and beautiful and full of stained glassed windows. Singing Christmas carols in church was my favorite part. The choir inspired me to learn how to sing. This carol in particular brings back so many sweet memories:

Christmas Carol “Stille Nacht”

After church we always stopped to pick-up Grandma and Grandpa and have some cookies.

And you know what happened while we were at Church?

Santa Claus was at our house!!

How do you think he knew that he could stop at our house so early?  I could never figure it out. But somehow he always made it. And another thing... we didn’t have a fireplace. We had a chimney of course that led to our furnace, but I couldn’t figure out how he managed it all.

Our presents from Santa were never wrapped. I guess he didn’t have time, since he was out so early and everything.

Favorite Christmas Present

One year I had my eye on a very special doll. She was all dressed in pink and she could twirl around and around forever. She was a Ballerina. Packed in her box was a tiny record with the Nutcracker song on it. I would play that record and watch her dance.

I will always remember that year. After coming in from church we all headed straight to the living room, and there she was standing tall in front of the Christmas tree. She had beautiful long blonde hair and a pretty crown on her head too.

I never knew until I went looking for her online last week, but she is somewhat of a collector’s item, even to this day.

I found this YouTube video that someone created and it shows my doll. It says that she is known as Dancerina.

Check it out! I know it looks a little creepy watching a man playing with a doll, but you can see how cool she was.

While receiving Dancerina for Christmas was incredible, the best part of my Christmas each year as a child was that it was an opportunity to be with so many loved ones, and just have fun.

Our childhood home was small, but it was always warm, comfortable and safe.

The kitchen was filled with food that we only made at Christmas time and I loved the fact that every year on Christmas Eve our house would fill up with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, ready to party. We shared delicious food, gave each other gifts to open, and stayed up quite late playing with our new toys and board games.

What were some of your favorite Christmas cartoons when you were a kid?

All of the Christmas Memories Blogging Party Participants

Here is a mini-carnival of all of the bloggers that participated in the Christmas party today. Turn on your speakers, leave one of my favorite Christmas music videos playing in the background, and head off to check out all of these exciting Christmas blog posts. Have fun!

My Most Memorable Christmas

My Favorite Childhood Christmas Memories

My Christmas Time Traditions @apenny4athought

My favorite Christmas memory

My Favorite Childhood Chirstmas Traditions

My Favorite Christmas Childhood Memories @studebtsurvivor

2 Guys & Your Money #020 - Holiday Financial Gift Guide and My Favorite Christmas Moment–Learning the Value of Exercise

Memories of Christmas Cookies Past

My Favorite Christmas Memories

My Childhood Christmas Memories

My Favorite Christmas Memories

Video Blog: My favorite Christmas Memory

Old and New Christmas Traditions

My favourite Christmas memories

My Favorite Childhood Christmas Memories @PlungedinDebt

A Christmas Story

It’s Just What I Always Wanted!

That Christmas Time of Year

Comments

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 12/03/2012 5:03 a.m. #

Awwww......the picture at the top brought back more childhood memories for me. We would always watch that every year!!

• Pauline

Pauline 12/03/2012 6:09 a.m. #

Yum M&M cookies! Thank you for putting this carnival together!

Corina Ramos 12/03/2012 6:46 a.m. #

Thanks for sharing your memories Sicorra! Takes me back to when I was a little girl! And the pictures you posted....OMG I still remember!

• L Bee and the Money Tree

L Bee and the Money Tree 12/03/2012 7:08 a.m. #

Thanks for hosting-this was more fun than I could have imagined :) Merry Christmas!

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 12/03/2012 7:22 a.m. #

I had the Snoopy 45 record too! My Santa never wrapped presents and our daughter's doesn't either. He's being environmentally friendly. Thanks for putting this together.

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 7:27 a.m. #

Thanks everyone for participating today and making this so much fun!!

@Kim - Very cool to hear that you had the Snoopy record too.

• Grayson @ Debt Roundup

Grayson @ Debt Roundup 12/03/2012 8:13 a.m. #

Nice job on the Christmas Carnival Sicorra. My favorite part of Christmas was always the tree and the baking. I do enjoy baking the holiday goodies for everyone and I will continue to do that every year. It just gets you in the spirit.

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 8:53 a.m. #

@Grayson - That's so cool that you do lots of holiday baking. What is your favorite cookie? The house always smells so nice while baking, doesn't it?

• Janine

Janine 12/03/2012 9:32 a.m. #

Post looks great! Thanks for organizing all of this!!! P.S. I'm also obsessed with the smell of pine!

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 9:40 a.m. #

@Janine - I was thinking I should just go grab a branch off of the neighbour's tree out back. Think he'd mind?

• Marissa @ Thirty Six Months

Marissa @ Thirty Six Months 12/03/2012 9:42 a.m. #

This is such a really cool idea. My favorite part has always been getting together with my cousins and spending days baking.

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 9:48 a.m. #

@Marissa - Yes, baking, somewhat of a world wide yummy tradition.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 12/03/2012 9:51 a.m. #

Sicorra, what a beautiful post and such wonderful memories. I felt like I was there with you. And yes, I do remember 45 rpm records, although my MP3 playing daughters would not! Thank you for hosting the carnival. It's been so much fun and I love reading about other people's Christmas memories. Happy Holidays!

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 12/03/2012 10:17 a.m. #

Thanks Sicorra! At our church they sang Stille Nacht as a second verse to the English Silent Night. Our town was mostly German-American, so there was real emotion when everyone joined in the Stille Nacht part. Thanks for bringing that back for me!

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 10 a.m. #

@Shannon - Thanks very much! Glad you participated. Happy that at least a few people remember 45s. It's a whole other generation.

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 10:25 a.m. #

@Maggie - There is something magical about German Christmas carols. I really miss our German Christmas Eve church service.

• Catherine

Catherine 12/03/2012 11:08 a.m. #

I was on here this morning but totally forgot to comment! I love Charlie Brown's Christmas! as well as the song. Thanks so much for putting this together!

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 11:35 a.m. #

@Catherine - Thanks very much for participating today!!

DC @ Young Adult Money 12/03/2012 11:55 a.m. #

That's awesome that so many people participated in this post idea, definitely saw a lot of linkbacks to your post. Personally some of my favorite memories are just having nothing else to do but spend time with the family on christmas Eve/Christmas day. We always go to church on Christmas Eve and open presents, which has always been a warm memory for me. I hope that my (someday) children have the same memories.

AverageJoe 12/03/2012 12:29 p.m. #

Awesome doll! I totally remember her. My sister really wanted her but never got one. I think a friend of ours had one and my sister was very, very jealous.

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 1:37 p.m. #

@AverageJoe - Thank you! I didn't think anyone would recognize her. Sorry to hear that your sister didn't get one. They were obviously a lot more popular than I realized. Maybe similar to the day of the Cabbage patch doll

• KK @ Student Debt Survivor

KK @ Student Debt Survivor 12/03/2012 5:11 p.m. #

This carnival was such a good idea and so much fun. Thanks as always for organizing everything. I'm glad that santa made it to your house despite the lack of a fireplace. We didn't have a fireplace either. Thankfully santa had a key to our front door ;-)

Tackling Our Debt 12/03/2012 6:32 p.m. #

@KK - You're welcome! I'm so happy you participated!

Hmmmm...yeah, that's it...the front door.

krantcents 12/04/2012 7:03 p.m. #

My daughter was born on December 26th. Every holiday season is special because of it. For me, the holidays are all about family. Although my children are adults, we still do things together and enjoy being together.

• Cat Alford

Cat Alford 12/04/2012 7:18 p.m. #

Thanks so much for having me, Sicorra! Your Christmas sounds just lovey! Your ballerina doll reminded me of another memory, dancing in the Nutcracker every year. I hope to have a little girl someday to continue that tradition! I really appreciate you taking the time to put this party together, and I hope you and your hubs have a wonderful holiday seaason!

Tackling Our Debt 12/04/2012 7:33 p.m. #

@Krantcents - Wow that must have been fun having a family Birthday at Christmas. I had a cousin born that day too. I agree, Christmas is more fun when lots of family are around. The busier the house the better.

Tackling Our Debt 12/04/2012 7:37 p.m. #

@Cat - You were quite the busy young lady, dancing, drawing. Very creative! I'm really glad you were a part of this and the button you created worked out extremely well. I know we'll chat before you head home for Christmas, but just in case, I wish you a very Happy Christmas as well.