5 Popular Small Business Ideas

Here are 5 small business ideas that will continue to be very popular choices. The greatest thing about these small businesses is that they can each be started with little or no money.

Motivational Speaker

small business ideasWith everything going on in the world lately people will be looking for new inspiration and motivation to help them get through any issues or problems that they might be dealing with.

You could start a small business as a motivational speaker and help them out. Think about your strengths and what you are passionate about, and turn your skills, knowledge and interests into seminar topics that will help others solve their problems.

Becoming a Motivational Speaker is easy than you may think. Click here to learn how to become a Motivational Speaker.

Life Coach

You can begin a small business as a life coach and assist people with many different areas of their lives.

Again, think about your strengths and your skills, and how you can use them to help other people.

People look to life coaches for private one on one assistance, motivation and guidance with both their personal and professional lives. Often successful executives will look for guidance and direction in taking the next step in their career.

Other people may need your assistance with their personal relationships or work/life balance issues. Think about the services you can offer and how you can turn that into a business. Click here to find all the information you need on how to become a Life Coach.

Published Writer

Have you ever watched a movie or read a book and thought "wow – I would love to write a book that could eventually become a movie?"

Well why not get started now?

Start with a small idea and then just start writing down whatever comes to mind. You can go back later and do some research and add in the details. As you write you will find yourself coming up with more and more ideas and your story will just begin to snowball.

You can write a fictional story, or your book can be based on a true story. Many excellent movies have been created by writers that have written books based on a true to life story.

Learn how easy it is to become a published writer.

Cake Decorator

cake decoratorWhat could be more exciting than starting a small business as a cake and cupcake decorator?

Each person celebrates so many different events throughout the year, such as Valentines, Easter, birthdays, Christmas. It is always nice to have a yummy cake for the celebration. As a cake decorator you could create fun birthday cakes, elegant wedding cakes, anniversary cakes, cupcake bouquets and so much more.

This is a very inexpensive business to start. Check out "Start Your Own Cake Decorating or Cupcake Business" for information on how to start a cake decorating business.

Virtual Office Assistant

Many people that operate a business are happy to do the activities and tasks that they enjoy and are good at.

That usually leaves them with a variety of business tasks, perhaps the office administration work, that they need to outsource to someone else.

That is where a virtual office assistant fits in. You can setup a small business as a virtual assistant using your home office and you could potentially service clients anywhere in the world. Most virtual assistants very rarely meet their clients face to face.

You could provide a variety of services including, but not limited to the following:

• Word processing
  • Spreadsheets
  • Correspondence
  • Creating presentations
  • Marketing and advertising
  • Producing Ezines
  • Invoicing
  • Monitoring and responding to emails
  • Booking travel arrangements

Click here and you will find everything you need on how to become a Virtual Assistant.

Remember that the most important thing you need when starting any small business is to believe in yourself.

Believe that you have the knowledge and skills necessary to create and build your own small business.

When you hit a bump in the road, and we all do, just keep focusing on your dreams!

Comments

• John S @Frugal Rules

John S @Frugal Rules 01/09/2013 6:36 a.m. #

These are all very good and viable ideas Sicorra! I think a lot of it can come down to who you know and being able to network. We've actually been thinking of hiring a VA ourselves in the near future to handle some of our admin things in order to free up more time.

Sicorra 01/12/2013 10:02 a.m. #

If a person wants to start working in any one of these areas they can always attend networking groups to get the word out if they do not already have a circle of influence.

• pauline

pauline 01/09/2013 7:07 a.m. #

My friend started a cake decorating business, she is wonderfully gifted and had very low starting costs, throwing her son's birthday party she came home with a couple of orders and the ball started rolling!

Sicorra 01/12/2013 10:01 a.m. #

I could easily see that happen. Not everyone can decorate cakes, I mean really well, so the people that can, usually find a lot of work.

• DC @  Young Adult Money

DC @ Young Adult Money 01/09/2013 7:12 a.m. #

I know two different people who are speakers (one on social media, the other one on Christianity) and I can tell you it pays pretty well, especially since the speaking engagements are technically side income in addition to their full-time income. I know for a fact that speaking is not my strength, but if it was I would totally pursue it.

Sicorra 01/12/2013 10 a.m. #

They do get paid extremely well. Some speakers charge out at $7K per presentation, plus travel costs. Amazing!

• Grayson @ Debt Roundup

Grayson @ Debt Roundup 01/09/2013 7:34 a.m. #

Out of all of them, I would be more inclined to do the virtual assistant position. I have done some of that in the past and it worked out well.

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:58 a.m. #

Working as a VA allows you to work on a large variety of tasks, and always from the comfort of your home. It is great!

AverageJoe 01/09/2013 9:58 a.m. #

Lots of help out there for would-be writers and motivational speakers. Many libraries host writing groups where authors critique each other's work. I was deeply involved in Toastmasters when I was a professional speaker. It's a great organization to get rid of "ah's and um's" while practicing all different types of speeches.

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:57 a.m. #

I've heard many good reviews about Toastmasters but I didn't know that some libraries host groups for writers. That would be so helpful for people just starting out.

krantcents 01/09/2013 10:35 a.m. #

I think I am many of those professions without direct compensation. Asa teacher, I am a motivator and life coach. My blog makes me a published writer and I may write a book some day. I think it is good practice, if I ever want to pursue those careers.

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:55 a.m. #

Absolutely! A teacher wears a lot of hats.

• Marissa @thirtysixmonths

Marissa @thirtysixmonths 01/09/2013 3:16 p.m. #

I'd totally be a cake decorator if I, you know, knew how to do that, or liked cakes.

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 01/09/2013 6:26 p.m. #

Being a published writer would be nothing short of amazing. Someday I hope to say that I am a published writer!

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:55 a.m. #

I've always thought that as well. It would take a lot of dedication to see it through.

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 01/10/2013 4:23 a.m. #

These are all good ones! I would love to write a horror movie!

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:53 a.m. #

That would be so cool Holly! You should do it!

• Cat

Cat 01/10/2013 7:36 a.m. #

My sister in law is amazing at baking and decorating cakes - she could definitely make a side business out of it!

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:51 a.m. #

She should give it a try. I know a number of women in our city that have done it from home and cater small events.

• Janine

Janine 01/10/2013 8:54 p.m. #

Great list! I hope to one day become a published author!!!

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:50 a.m. #

I think you would be really good at that. I've always wanted to write a movie script.

• Edgar @ Degrees and Debt

Edgar @ Degrees and Debt 01/11/2013 7:56 p.m. #

I am curious about the life coach topic.... does being a life coach require particular certification from an organization?

Sicorra 01/12/2013 9:49 a.m. #

It depends on the situation. Most people think it should require certification, but quite often it doesn't happen that way.

• Deacon

Deacon 01/13/2013 12:23 p.m. #

I would love to get paid to be a Motivational Speaker. Any thoughts on how to get that rolling?

Sicorra 01/13/2013 1:25 p.m. #

You can get started in it quite easily. Check this out for all the info you need to get started http://tinyurl.com/ct8d7yd

• Deacon

Deacon 01/13/2013 1:37 p.m. #

Do you have any "lower" cost suggestions :)

• Brian @frugallyminded.com

Brian @frugallyminded.com 01/16/2013 5:55 p.m. #

What about fitness trainers? It seems like I often run into people who say they are fitness trainers. It's interesting because some of these people are not even fit. I guess however that all that matters is your ability to motivate people.