Popular Small Business Ideas – Part 2

Last week I wrote this post 5 Popular Small Business Ideas. This week I am expanding on that post with 4 more popular small business ideas.

If you are looking for something new to do so that you can make more money, you may find that these small business ideas offer the best money making potential.

Professional Organizer

professional organizerA small business as a Professional Organizer is perfect for someone who has the skills and ability to go through other people's clutter and re–arrange and organize their stuff so that their things take up less space, are easy to access and look nice.

This is definitely a business that you could operate out of a home office.

You could create a substantial income, while also having the flexibility to work when your schedule permits.

Professional Organizers create and implement solutions to organize:

• kitchens
  • laundry rooms
  • closets
  • home offices
  • kid’s playrooms
  • bedrooms
  • basements
  • garages
  • corporate offices

As a Professional Organizer you will help people decide what to keep, sell, donate, re–cycle, or dispose of.

Once the sorting is complete and the clean–up is finished, you will help them find solutions on how to keep the remaining items organized neatly so that everyone has easy access to their belongings.

You can easily learn everything you need to know on how to become a Professional Organizer and start your own small business.

Career Coach

This is the perfect time to start a Career Coach and Resume Writing business.

With an ongoing volatile economy more and more people are looking for new jobs and many times they feel lost and and even annoyed at the fact that they need to look for a job.

That is where you come in. As a Career Coach you can help people figure out exactly what they need to do.  You can work with them to evaluate their current skill level, and help them find ways to upgrade their skills if they would like to progress in their current field.

And while your client base may consist of recently unemployed people, you will also find that people who are currently working, will come to you for advice and guidance on how to either switch careers or improve their current situation with their current employer.

When people are considering a new job it is important that they have a very well written and professional looking resume that captures the attention of potential employers.

As you learn to become a Career Coach you will also learn how to become a professional resume writer.

You will have the option of meeting with clients in person for a face to face consultation.

However with the Internet this business is quickly becoming a popular virtual service as well. You could speak with clients via Skype, or discuss things via email

As the owner of a Career Coaching business, you will enjoy the financial rewards of being your own boss and earning a good living. For example, if you work with career changers at the executive level you could earn $150 or more per hour.

Cruise Travel Specialist

cruise travel specialistIf you enjoy traveling and organizing trips, a fun and exciting business for you may be to operate a travel business.

Many people of all ages go on cruise vacations every year.

I know some people that have a number of cruises booked over the next 2 to 5 years. Personally I have a hard time planning that far in advance, but people that love to cruise make sure they get their bookings in early. Especially when they want to check out a new cruise ship.

While some people are happy to book their own trips on the Internet, many people can't or simply do not want to. If you become a home based cruise travel specialist you could help all these people book their next trips.

Now you are probably thinking that you are not trained as a travel agent. Would you like to be?

You can quickly learn how to become a cruise travel specialist and how to setup your home based business. Each of the companies listed below offers all the training you need.

As a travel agent or cruise travel specialist with one of these companies you can usually operate as a home based business or setup your own retail location.

cruise travel

If you would like more details about becoming a travel agent or a cruise travel specialist with one of these companies, please follow the links below.

Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®

CruiseShipCenters is a Canadian company that has grown extremely large throughout North America over the last 10 to 15 years after partnering with Expedia.

Travel Professional International (AKA TPI)

Flight Centre Associate

Wedding Planner

wedding plannerStarting a small business as a Professional Wedding Planner is becoming an increasingly popular choice.

Many couples these days are so busy with their day–to–day lives and they do not have time to organize an elegant wedding for themselves. Instead, they are happy to hire a Wedding Planner to look after everything for them.

That way, they can relax and enjoy their big day.

A Professional Wedding Planner is usually a creative and energetic person that loves to plan and host parties and large events.

As a Wedding Planner you would typically be hired to oversee a couples' wedding and all the details from beginning to end.

This could include:

• Hiring the caterer, florist, photographer, etc.
  • Selecting and mailing the invitations
  • Assisting the couple in selecting the perfect location for their wedding ceremony and reception
  • Organizing the wedding ceremony and the reception
  • Managing the couples’ wedding budget
  • Coordinating the timing of the wedding and the reception

To learn all about becoming a Wedding Planner and building a profitable small business of your own check out this excellent Wedding Planning Guide.

DC @ Young Adult Money 01/18/2013 5:20 a.m. #

My wife has seriously considered starting a wedding planning business. There will always be people getting married and there are SO many details that go into weddings that pretty much anyone would be happy to have a wedding planner to help them out.

Sicorra 01/18/2013 9:35 a.m. #

I think that would be so much fun (and a lot of work). Ever since the movie, The Wedding Planner, was on I think a lot of women thought about becoming one.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 01/18/2013 7:21 a.m. #

Great ideas again Sicorra! I'd love to do #3 at some point. I love to travel and we've been on several cruises. Though, I fear I'd want to go on more and thus spend all my earnings. :)

Sicorra 01/18/2013 9:36 a.m. #

Yes, but as an agent you are offered a lot of very low cost deals to go on cruises because the cruiseship companies want you to be very familiar with their ships so that you will sell more cruises on them.

AverageJoe 01/18/2013 10:44 a.m. #

Just before I sold my disc jockey business after college I tried morphing it into a wedding and party planning company. I'd still love to be in that business, but I hate having my weekends tied up with someone else's party. That said....I still get excited thinking about that field. Par-tay!

Sicorra 01/18/2013 11:27 a.m. #

Interesting the things you can learn from blog posts. Disc jockey? Cool. That and professional photographers could both easily develop a wedding planner business. I too would not like being out most weekend nights working on events though.

I would most definitely rather be on a cruise.

krantcents 01/18/2013 2:11 p.m. #

I often thought about becoming a life or career coach. I like helping people to become their best. Wait, I already do it as a teacher. I even designed some classes on careers and personal finance.

Sicorra 01/18/2013 7:20 p.m. #

As a teacher you are like a jack of all trades :-)

• Suzanne

Suzanne 01/18/2013 3:37 p.m. #

These are all very viable fields Sicorra. When I went through my professional coach training in 2004 I met several people who were going into career coaching. Like any business, this field requires quite a bit of marketing, but diligent career coaches can make six figures. Now having a cruise business would have definite side benefits :)

Sicorra 01/18/2013 7:23 p.m. #

So many businesses take quite a bit of marketing to get the word out and attract clients, but once you become popular and generate word of mouth things can turn out well.

Corina Ramos 01/18/2013 7:12 p.m. #

Hey Sicorra,

Great ideas! The best part about these suggestions is that it doesn't take a lot of start up money to get it up and running.

The Travel Specialist sounds like a dream business!

Sicorra 01/18/2013 7:24 p.m. #

Right, they don't take a lot of money and you can start working at home and then expand as the business grows

• Laurie

Laurie 01/20/2013 6:23 a.m. #

Sicorra, thanks so much for all of the great ideas, showing us how we can succeed in running our own show. They're educational, inspiring and motivating!

Sicorra 01/20/2013 10:20 a.m. #

Thanks Laurie! Anyone who really wants to run their own business, can do it.

• Grayson @ Debt Roundup

Grayson @ Debt Roundup 01/20/2013 12:34 p.m. #

I know a few people that have done professional organizing. It can be lucrative if you market yourself well and you are really good at keeping things organized.

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 01/20/2013 2:57 p.m. #

There are all kinds of things people will pay you to do. I recently talked to someone who paid someone to go pick out paint. Not decorate, but choose a shade of off white because she didn't have time to do it. I'm way to frugal at this point to pay someone to do something like that, but there is a market if you can find ways to tap into it.

• KK @ Student Debt Survivor

KK @ Student Debt Survivor 01/20/2013 7:57 p.m. #

I think I'd love being a personal organizer. I organize everything in my house and my friend's houses constantly. Labeling and organizing is something I'm neurotic about.