Inexpensive, Fun Ways to Express Your Love on Valentine’s Day

ways to express your love on valentines day

Wow, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and already I’ve noticed so many blog posts about the day. Some people seem to enjoy it and others seem to despise it. Why do people despise it? Is it that old “it’s become to commercialized”? I see people writing things in their posts such as “I show my wife I love her all year round, I don’t need a special day set aside to do that”.

No, you don’t need to wait for a special day to let her know that you love her. But at the same time, how would you feel if she ignored Father’s Day?

Yes, there are a few days throughout the year that are designated as special days, such as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Valentine’s Day, and yes you do not need to wait for those specific days to show someone how important they are to you. But on those special days it is fun to go the extra mile and to make your significant other and those you love feel super special.

Instead of looking at Valentine’s Day and thinking it is stupid and saying you can’t be bothered with it, think about how much fun you can have with it.

If you already tell your spouse that you love them everyday do something extra special to show them how much you love them. If you are already a romantic type of person, go a little over the top to show how much you care. If you aren’t romantic, then give it a try.

Celebrate Valentine’s Day with your family as if it is the last day you will ever see them, instead of thinking about how much you hate the day, for whatever reason.

And when I say go the extra mile I don’t mean that you have to break the bank. You can do stuff to make this Valentine’s Day extremely memorable while only spending a few bucks.

Simple, Inexpensive, Fun Ways to Show Your Love on Valentine’s Day

Here’s what you can do for your significant other as well as your kids, or anyone you love, for that matter.

Valentine’s Day Cards & Kisses

chocolate hershey kissesHead over to the dollar store and buy a box of the small Valentine’s Day cards that you use to exchange in grade school.

While you are there, grab a bag or two of Hershey’s Chocolate Kisses in the red or silver foil wrappers.

So what did all of that cost? Maybe ten or fifteen dollars, depending on where you live. Not much, right?

When you get home, find a quiet place where you can go and write out your Valentine’s Day cards. Grab a nice pen, or a coloured pencil or crayon, if you have one, and get started.

Go through the whole box of little Valentine’s Day cards and express your love and appreciation to whoever is on your list.

You can sign them from yourself or put “from your secret admirer”.

The thing is to have fun with it. Be as sexy as you want to be or keep them all rated PG-13. Whatever works best for you.

The Night Before Valentine’s Day

On the night before Valentine’s Day take your box of cards and your Hershey’s Chocolate Kisses and sneak around the house and hide them.

You can put a card:

• in the fridge
  • by the coffee machine
  • another one in the utensil drawer in the kitchen
  • one in their dresser drawer
  • another one in the bathroom
  • one on their desk
  • another one in their coat pocket
  • one in their lunch bag
  • tuck one into the book or magazine they are currently reading
  • one in their gym bag or knapsack
  • another one under their computer keyboard or in their laptop, and so on.

As you hide each card, hide a chocolate kiss along with it.

Hide some of the Valentine’s Day cards in really obvious places and some in places where the other person my not find them for a few days or a week from now. Remember, you said earlier that you show them how much you love them everyday. This will just help you out with that. As the months go by and they find yet another card that you loving hid on Valentine’s Day, they will be so happy.

See, you do not need to spend $50 on a dozen roses, or $200 on a dinner out. You can get away with $15 or less, and just be creative, sexy and fun.

Make it fun for the other person or persons you share your life with instead of grumbling about how you don’t need to wait for February 14th to roll around to show someone how much you love them.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 02/07/2013 5:18 a.m. #

I hope my wife doesn't read this so I can steal your tip and she will think I thought of it myself ;) I have woken up to little notes here and there some days and honestly they have made my day. I need to remember to do that for her more often, especially on days like Valentine's Day.

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:01 p.m. #

I know, isn't the sweetest thing when you find notes everywhere? It just keeps the love alive.

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 02/07/2013 5:24 a.m. #

You would want to make sure you don't forget where you leave all those chocolates. They would get all melted and old in my gym bag...

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:02 p.m. #

In some cases it may be better to leave the chocolate in more obvious places.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 02/07/2013 7:03 a.m. #

Great idea Sicorra! We do celebrate the Holiday, but in a very low key and casual way. We like to find ways to buy each other something special without spending a boatload of money on it. You can do it, it just requires you to be a little creative.

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:03 p.m. #

Creativity is important. You know what they always say: It's the thought that counts.

• Jacob @ iHeartBudgets

Jacob @ iHeartBudgets 02/07/2013 9:33 a.m. #

This is a pretty cool idea. I did something similar once, but instead of hiding them, I took her out and gave her 4 hand-written letters throughout the course of the night, revisiting how we met, first date, etc.

V-day shouldn't be expensive, it should be heartfelt :)

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:04 p.m. #

What a sweet idea! Love it!

Corina Ramos 02/07/2013 9:36 a.m. #

I don't know how people don't like Valentine's Day. It's probably because it's so commercialized like you mentioned. They shouldn't be concerned with all that's stuff and just focus on how they want to show their sweetie how much they love them :)

I love Hershey's Kisses, all year 'round but there's something about the red wrappers that makes it extra special. Maybe it's because I like the color red, who knows but they are so much yummier on Valentine's Day. The idea about leaving little kisses here and there sounds cute, I'm gonna try that and leave some in Mario's truck so he can see when he gets in to go to work.

Loved the post Sicorra! Hope you're having a great day :)

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:06 p.m. #

I love hersheys kisses all year round too and now they have cherry filled ones that are amazing. Yes, leave some in his truck. It will be interesting to see how he reacts.

• CarolB

CarolB 02/07/2013 10:04 a.m. #

Great idea! I tend to "low key" it as well, with homemade chocolate covered treats, like strawberries and pretzels. I think my boys would enjoy the "hide the kisses" idea, though I'll have to remind them not to hide them where the dog will get them! :)

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:07 p.m. #

I LOVE chocolate covered Strawberries. YUM!! And you are right, never let the pets find the chocolate.

• Kyle @ Rather-Be-Shopping.com

Kyle @ Rather-Be-Shopping.com 02/07/2013 noon #

I'm with DC on this one, I'm totally going to steal this one Sicorra. What a cool idea, she will love it!

thanks for participating in this round-up!

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:07 p.m. #

Thanks Kyle and thanks for organizing this giveaway. Happy to be a part of it!

• Justin@TheFrugalPath

Justin@TheFrugalPath 02/07/2013 4:05 p.m. #

This is a terrific idea. I'm not huge on spending money for Valentine's day, but we usually make a card for one another. One year I wrote a poem and got a pretty good reaction,

Sicorra 02/07/2013 4:11 p.m. #

A poem is a brilliant idea!! If you she loved it you should do it again.

• Janine

Janine 02/07/2013 10:46 p.m. #

Love these ideas! So simple, but still so wonderful!

Sicorra 02/08/2013 12:43 p.m. #

Thank you Janine! That is exactly what I was going for.

AverageJoe 02/08/2013 9:45 a.m. #

Funny story: I hid some stuff from Cheryl about 10 years ago and didn't notice when she didn't find one. We found the chocolate about six months ago. Vintage!

Sicorra 02/08/2013 12:44 p.m. #

LOL - See, the gift that keeps on givin!!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 02/08/2013 10:52 a.m. #

I love this idea, Sicorra! While Valentine's Day has become very commercialized, the sentiment is still good. I certainly enjoy being wined and dined but simple, heartfelt gestures like this are the things I remember. Great post!

Sicorra 02/08/2013 12:46 p.m. #

I agree with you Shannon, the wine and dine is most definitely fun.