Great Ways to Express Your Gratitude By Complimenting People

express your gratitude by complimenting people

Do you love it when someone pays you a compliment? Something so simple, such as “you look amazing in that suit”, or “have you been working out? you look wonderful”. A few simple yet sincere words can quickly take someone from a ho hum day to an excellent day. It will boost their self-esteem and they will smile and feel like they can tackle anything that day. And here’s the thing; it only take a few minutes to stop and show your gratitude by complimenting the people you come in contact with.

When someone receives a compliment it reinforces that they have done something right and that their efforts are being appreciated.

Compliment People You Work With

When I worked in the corporate world I always noticed that there were two types of managers.

We had the ones who showed their staff how much they appreciated them for a job well done and then there were also managers who just expected the job to get done without any acknowledgement whatsoever.

I specifically remember sitting in on a phone conference one day and one of the managers asked me “why do I have to tell the project team that they did a good job, isn’t getting a pay cheque at the end of the week enough?”.

Is getting paid to do your job enough for you?

I know it wasn’t enough for me. The big pay cheque didn’t put a smile on my face. The pleasant phone call or email that I received from the Director that I worked with which said “thanks for all of your hard work” was what put a smile on my face and boosted my self confidence.

Here are some examples of how to express your gratitude with those that you work with:

• “The client really loved the presentation you gave today.”
  • “Thanks for staying late today. I don’t know what we would have done without your great help.”
  • “Thanks very much for fixing my computer so quickly. You are a lifesaver!”

Adding a personal touch to the office by giving compliments can be a huge motivator. Your colleagues will trust and respect you far more than anyone else in the office.

Compliment Your Family

How often do we rush around at home to get things done and forget to show our appreciation to our loved ones? Do we pay each other compliments or do we take others in our home for granted? Expressing your gratitude to those you love has a dual purpose: it shows how grateful you are to have them in your life while at the same time acknowledging the special work they’ve done.

compliment your family

Here are some examples of how to express your gratitude at home:

• “My compliments to the chef for making another delicious dinner.”
  • “Thanks for cleaning the kitchen tonight. You did a great job!”
  • “Wow, your room looks so nice and clean. Thanks for getting that done this week.”
  • “It is so nice to come home to find a clean house and dinner waiting in the oven. Thanks you guys!”

As well, remember to compliment one another’s appearance. You look beautiful, you look adorable, I love the way you did your hair today, you have the most beautiful blue eyes, nice sweater.

Everyone needs to hear compliments. It doesn’t matter if it is your parents, your spouse, or your kids. People love to feel appreciated, and everyone needs their self-confidence boosted now and then.

If you struggle to get your family to pitch in around the house, instead of getting annoyed, try complimenting them. Find something positive to say that will boost their self-esteem, which will make other things in their life so much easier to deal with. Ask them to do a specific task and then remember to follow-up right away by saying “you did a wonderful job, thanks very much”.

If your kids serve you breakfast in bed on Sunday morning, thank them and tell them how delicious it is even if all you can really think about is how messy the kitchen probably is.

breakfast in bed

Children and adults alike are encouraged to help more if they are complimented and receive positive acknowledgement. Hearing compliments on a regular basis also teaches children how to appreciate the people in their lives.

Compliment Strangers

In today’s society very few people take the time to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. Perhaps it is because as children we are taught not to speak to strangers.

While it may not always work, many times you will find that, if for example, you let another person go ahead of you at the checkout at the grocery store, they will smile and say thank you. It may even lead to a quick friendly conversation while you both wait for the cashier to ring in their items.

We have to remember that people are brought into our lives everyday for a variety of reasons, and you can genuinely affect someone’s mood just by being nice to them.

Of course, you probably shouldn’t divulge your entire life’s story the first time you meet someone (which I guess could happen if you are flirting with someone new at a bar), but what you can do is notice something good about a person and tell them.

Show your gratitude for meeting this person because this experience just might teach you something new about yourself.

Here are a few examples of things you can look for to give a sincere compliment about:

• Is the person a sharp dresser?
  • Is he a genuinely nice person to others?
  • Are the person’s children very well-behaved?
  • Did you see the person do a kind act for someone else?

The key to expressing your gratitude is opening your eyes to seeing the simple gifts in your day.

By paying attention to the actions of those around you, you’ll help others gain confidence.

It only takes a moment to notice something small about someone but those few words can certainly make a difference in that person’s day.

Make a goal to compliment at least one person each and every day. You’ll start appreciating the small things in life and you’ll brighten up someone else's day at the same time. And when someone compliments you, don't deny or dismiss the compliment. Say thank you!

Comments

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 02/11/2013 5:18 a.m. #

Compliments can really brighten someones day. I always try to take the time to compliment someone as no one ever hates a compliment and you never know just how much it might improve their day.

Sicorra 02/11/2013 10:45 a.m. #

"No one ever hates a compliment" - well said my friend. Hope you have a great week!

• Laurie @thefrugalfarmer

Laurie @thefrugalfarmer 02/11/2013 6:14 a.m. #

Sicorra, what a wonderful, uplifting and inspiring post! I've been working on giving more compliments out in the last several years and you're right: it makes such a difference! I love what you said about not forgetting to compliment those in your own home too. So often we forget to compliment the most important people in our lives! Thanks for the great reminder to lift each other up with pleasant words. :-)

Sicorra 02/11/2013 10:47 a.m. #

Thanks very much Laurie! It is so easy to forget those that are around us everyday, isn't it? I think perhaps we just assume that they already know how wonderful they are and that we don't need to remind them, but we do. And it means so much to hear a compliment from another family member.

• Thrifty Dad

Thrifty Dad 02/11/2013 8:51 a.m. #

Great post! Twain once said "I can live for two months on a good compliment". Even the simplest sign of gratitude can go a long way.

Sicorra 02/11/2013 10:49 a.m. #

So true, a compliment can make us happy for a long time :-) Thanks for stopping by! Good to see you survived the wicked Canadian snow storm.

• Jennifer Lynn @ Broke-Ass Mommy

Jennifer Lynn @ Broke-Ass Mommy 02/11/2013 10:33 a.m. #

Whenever I am in a particularly crappy mood, I notice that selfless acts of gratitude help to swing my day around. Small gestures can be significant, and we brush shoulders with strangers multiple times per day to practice being genuinely kind and helpful. Complimenting the Hubby works wonders, too! (in a sincere manner, of course ;)

Sicorra 02/11/2013 10:52 a.m. #

It is amazing how we can make even the most stressful times easier by paying each other sincere compliments. And I agree, it does work wonders with husbands :-)

krantcents 02/11/2013 10:51 a.m. #

Everyone needs to feel appreciated! Most people want feedback and positive compliments are a good way to motivate people to do their best.

Sicorra 02/11/2013 10:55 a.m. #

It is a shame that many managers out there today do not feel the same as you do.

A positive review works wonders.

AverageJoe 02/11/2013 11:03 a.m. #

A coach once gave me the "homework" to compliment five people each day. It was fun to consider who I'd compliment that day to fulfill my "quota." I couldn't believe how few compliments I actually had been handing out before that...and it's so easy (and free).

Sicorra 02/11/2013 11:21 a.m. #

Wow! That would've been a way better title for this. "A Free Way to Make Someone's Day".

Corina Ramos 02/11/2013 12:30 p.m. #

It's so true a compliment can go a long way. I was the type of manager who would compliment my team. Even if we didn't meet our goals I'd still find something to celebrate at the end of the month and I could see they'd try harder the next month.

It's true that everyone needs to feel appreciated somehow and I think it's even more important that our kids and teens feel that way so when they reach adulthood they are confident and ready to face the world.

Great post Sicorra! Hope you're having a great day!

Sicorra 02/11/2013 1:03 p.m. #

It is amazing how compliments help build a person's confidence and it is very important to speak to children in a positive tone and fill their day with compliments. Something that some parents forget and then wonder why their kids go off and get in trouble.
        Thanks Corina!! Happy Monday!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 02/11/2013 12:37 p.m. #

Great post, Sicorra. I am a huge proponent of gratitude - the more the better! I've worked with a lot of great leaders and some poor leaders too. The ones who had a loyal team who went the extra mile were the ones who felt appreciated and valued. I try my best to emulate them and make sure people around me - know how grateful I am for them. Just a few kind words of recognition can make a huge difference not only in the recipient's life but also in mine too.

Sicorra 02/11/2013 1:05 p.m. #

Thanks very much Shannon! It does increase productivity greatly and both at work and at home and I think they people that do not realize that are the ones that are really missing out.

• Pauline

Pauline 02/11/2013 2:56 p.m. #

Nice post, everyone loves a compliment. I think North American are pretty good at it, even though they could still do more, it flows easily. Europeans, especially the French, are terrible. The best you can get is "yeah, that was ok". You can get so much more out of people if you recognize the good things they do.

Sicorra 02/11/2013 5:39 p.m. #

I didn't think of that until you commented, but I guess it could be different from culture to culture as to how people interact with one another. Good point!

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 02/11/2013 6:21 p.m. #

Ooh, I love this post! Compliments definitely do wonders for the self-esteem :) We should all give them out more!

Sicorra 02/11/2013 7:02 p.m. #

Thanks very much! And yes we should all do it more often.

• Justin@TheFrugalPath

Justin@TheFrugalPath 02/11/2013 8:40 p.m. #

I agree that compliments are a great way to help brighten someones day. As a child, I remember that my mom would beam for a day or two if she received a nice compliment.
      It's also important that the person actually means what they say. I've had a boss who tried to use compliments as a way to get your guard down and then act in a way that completely negated the compliment.

Sicorra 02/11/2013 8:49 p.m. #

Wow... strange boss, but so many managers are like that. I remember attending a seminar at one of the places I worked at and they talked about strokes (compliments) and "crooked strokes". A crooked stroke was when you paid a compliment but ruined it with your next sentence. I guess similar to when people are being sarcastic. An example would be something like: Nice haircut. I could have sworn that look went out of style in the 80's. Something weird like that.

• Cat

Cat 02/12/2013 7:33 a.m. #

I often compliment people's nails - I can never get a manicure to stay unchipped, so I'm always impressed by nice nails!

Sicorra 02/12/2013 12:30 p.m. #

I can't get a manicure to stay unchipped either. I envy the women that do.

• Kim@Eyesonthedollar

Kim@Eyesonthedollar 02/12/2013 9:38 a.m. #

Always tell people when they have done something well. People tend to remember the negative, but if they get enough positive, it has to make an impact somewhere.

Sicorra 02/12/2013 12:31 p.m. #

It is so important in every area of our lives.

• CarolB

CarolB 02/12/2013 2:19 p.m. #

Great ideas! Just think what this world would be like if everyone took the time to do just one random act of kindness a week. Just said one nice thing to someone every day. The power of words can make the difference in someone's day.

Sicorra 02/12/2013 2:52 p.m. #

Exactly Carol. We read about all the bad stuff going on all over the world. We need to spread more compliments and kind acts to combat that.

• KK @ Student Debt Survivor

KK @ Student Debt Survivor 02/16/2013 10:35 a.m. #

I actually do a "positives" section in my team meeting each week. During this portion of the meeting I tell each of my team members what they did well during the week. One specific thing (studies show that feedback that isn't specific or measurable doesn't mean anything ie. "you worked really hard this week"). Everyone needs reminders of they things they're doing right.