How to Make Money at Home: 9 Great Ideas

how to make money at home

Are you tired of having to commute hours on end back and forth to work, having to spend half your time on the road and the other half at a difficult job surrounded by people you don't like, causing undue stress in your life? Do you wish that you knew how to make money at home so that you had more time to spend with your family, and the ability to set your own hours?

Luckily for you, the advent of the Internet has opened up a plethora of possibilities for those of you who want to try to work from home! Here are just some of the ways you can give up your day job (or just supplement your current income) and earn the money that you deserve, all in the comfort of your own home!

If you want to figure out how to make money at home, check out these 9 different methods that will allow you to make more money.

Buy and Sell Websites (Site Flipping)

Online real estate may sound strange to you, but it's a real phenomenon, and one way in which you can work from home and make money online.

Using Flippa you can list websites that you have for sale as well as buy ones that are listed on Flippa for sale.

Websites are auctioned off on Flippa, similar to selling items on eBay. You can also use Flippa to buy or sell domain names too.

Forex Market

forex work from homeAnother great way to join the many people who are working from home is to participate in the foreign currency exchange market, or Forex market. It's not unlike the stock market, but instead of shares in a company, you're investing on the worth of a particular currency; when your invested currency increases in value, so does your bid.

It can be quite a gamble, but you can find plenty of automated robots that know when to buy and sell your bids when certain conditions are met.

Despite this, however, some personal management is often necessary, so you can apply a measure of control over how your portfolio is handled. As long as you can learn the basics of the trade, however, you can make quite a bit of money with this method.

Virtual Jobs

If you have a particular skill, such as secretarial skills, life coaching, or tech support, you can do a lot of these jobs over the Internet – all you need is a computer with a reliable Internet connection, and you'll be making money online in no time!

There are jobs for virtual assistants, online tech and hosting support, and online life coaching, that are great ways to make money online.

What's more, you don't have to limit yourself to businesses that are in your area – with the help of the Internet, you can work for someone who is based in an entirely different city, on the other end of the country, or around the world! You just communicate with them through instant messaging, emails, or Skype, and they can tell you what they need you to do.

Write an eBook

Do you have a book in you?

If you like writing, and have thoughts or strategies on a subject that you think would help people, try writing an eBook.

Just share your thoughts on things like self–help, finance, or fitness, and sell them to people for less than a real book would cost.

Provided you can get the word out there about your book, you're sure to find people who will pay to read what you think could help.

Drop Shipping

Looking for a more reliable and traditional way of making money online?

Try joining the millions of people who have started their own online retail businesses on sites like eBay and Amazon (or set up a website of your own).

make money at homeWhat you have to do is find a reputable wholesale supplier who has the kinds of products you want to focus on selling.

Buy them for less than the retail price, add a mark–up, and use their images and descriptions to sell them on your own online store.

Get a supplier with a drop shipper, and you don't even have to buy it yourself before you make a sale – just order it after customers start ordering from you, and instruct the drop shipper to send it directly to the customer. They'll never realize that it didn't come directly from you!

The trick to this is to do significant research before you begin. You want to ensure that there is a market for the products that you sell and that the supplier you use has excellent credentials.

Use Shopify to create your online store. They offer hundreds of professional themes to choose from, shopping cart, unlimited hosting, SEO, and marketing.

Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate marketing means that you sell other company's products on the Internet and earn a commission from them.

Pick something that you're interested in (online dating, fashion, computers, fitness, healthy cooking), find a product that you know you can create quality content for, and start earning money right away!

You'll get paid for the prospects who convert to actual customers, as long as they got to the offer page through your website.

For everything you need to know about affiliate marketing and more, visit the site of the Queen of affiliate marketing: Rosalind Gardner.

If you have a particular interest or niche you feel qualified to write about, you can make money by setting up a blog!

Simply start a blog that is targeted toward a specific niche or subgroup and allow advertisements for related products to be placed on it.

Customers will be drawn to your blog through your posts, see the advertisements for a product that they might need, and click on it, earning you money in the process. Understand that making money this way can take a lot of work and can take some time before you see results.

This kind of income is passive, which means that it'll come to you no matter what work you're doing – however, the more content you put up, the more likely it is that you'll grab more people and, therefore, earn more revenue. Keep this in mind as you search for ways to make money online.

If you decide that creating a blog or a niche website is what you want to do to make money then you need to visit Lisa’s where you will find every bit of information you need to build your own site.

Freelance Copywriting

Freelance copywriting is great for those that just love writing, and want to make that their primary focus.

Online businesses are always looking for good writers to compose original articles and sales copy for their products, so that they don't have to write it themselves.

There are also transcription jobs available, where you can form into prose the spoken words of another (like a doctor or someone recording memoirs). This way, you can make great money writing unique content, and that's all you need to do! Start by looking at or Elance, as they are websites full of potential clients just looking for someone to outsource their content to.

To make it quick and easy on yourself, you can find all of the job postings from many freelance sites, like Guru and Elance, all merged onto this one Work from Home job listings page.

Complete Offers and Surveys

One of the easiest jobs to do is to take part in surveys and offers for money. With this method, there's no need to write content or to set up your own website or blog – all you have to do is sign up for a website that gives you these offers, fill them out, and get paid for them.

While this may sound perfect, keep in mind that, compared to the previous ideas, there's a much bigger likelihood of getting scammed with this method, so be careful what website you affiliate yourself with.

The trick to making money with any of the above ideas is to begin by selecting one or two of them and developing a plan that lists all of the tasks that you need to do so that you can make money while working from home.

Hopefully, with the help of these ideas, you can go from working for minimum wage, and spending all your time away from your family, to spending quality time with them while learning how to make money at home. Many people have been quite successful working on any one of the above ideas, and you can be as well.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 02/15/2013 7:37 a.m. #

These are some great options Sicorra! As you know we do a few of them ourselves. I love not having to deal with the morning commute anymore. :)

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:29 p.m. #

I do not miss the morning commute either, especially in the winter.

• Michelle

Michelle 02/15/2013 7:53 a.m. #

These are all great ways to make extra income! I'm trying to increase my income as much as I can (while staying sane) and becoming more diversified.

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:30 p.m. #

You are doing a great job Michelle!

krantcents 02/15/2013 11:52 a.m. #

Good ideas! I wonder how much you can really earn if you just concentrate on a couple of these ideas? This could be the future of part time work!

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:31 p.m. #

Absolutely. Instead of one full-time job, just do several part-time gigs. Flipping websites could be good money.

• Catherine

Catherine 02/15/2013 12:18 p.m. #

Great ideas Siccora, you're full of them! You could make a living by teaching people how to make a living :) Have a great weekend.

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:32 p.m. #

"Make a living by teaching people how to make a living" - I wish! That would be fun! Have a great weekend as well.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 02/15/2013 12:21 p.m. #

Some great practical tips. A lot of people would love to work from home, but it can be scary taking the leap. What I like about the ideas you mention is that you can start virtually all of them part-time and figure which ones work best for you before quitting your job.

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:34 p.m. #

Exactly! These are things you can do after hours to see how it works for you. I wish I had done that 7 years ago instead of just quitting without trying these first.

• Grayson @ Debt Roundup

Grayson @ Debt Roundup 02/15/2013 12:25 p.m. #

There are a lot of good ones on here. I have done dropshipping successfully, but it is hard work. I would recommend people try feelancing or VA jobs. They are easier to do because you can do them in your free time. Running an ecommerce store gives you no free time!

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:35 p.m. #

I was thinking of your ecommerce work when I was putting this together. I know you worked on it for quite a while and said it was hard work.

Corina Ramos 02/15/2013 12:50 p.m. #

Such an honor to be mentioned in your post Sicorra, thanks so much

You've got some great ideas for making money from home. I've been doing this for a long time now and there are more opportunities now more than ever.

I always encourage people to do online surveys. I was a skeptic at first like a lot of people but I managed to find great sites and make about $200 a month and keep products like laundry detergent and bath tissue and good brands like Arm & Hammer and Charmin.

I'm glad you shared this with your readers...because it can be done! Have a great weekend., talk soon!

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:37 p.m. #

I couldn't do it without you Corina!

I love that you get free products for doing surveys.

We have a coupon site that is in Canada and 4 times a year you can sign up for free samples of stuff, but no surveys to do. Online surveys haven't really been as popular in Canada as they are in the US.

• Lisa Irby

Lisa Irby 02/15/2013 1:43 p.m. #

Thanks so much for mentioning my site. And to the commenters, YES you can make good money online with hard work. I've been doing this since 1998, full time since 2006.

The key is to focus on a topic you love a lot and become the "authority" on that topic. It takes time, but you can build it up to passive income in the long run. A lot of people are still not aware of how much can be made.

I will emphasize though, it is hard work. Not an overnight thing.

Sicorra 02/15/2013 5:38 p.m. #

Hey Lisa, You are welcome! I have been following you for a number of years after discovering your work through SBI and you are an awesome example of how a person can make money at home online. Thanks for sharing all of your great info!

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 02/15/2013 7:45 p.m. #

My friend did Drop Shipping one summer in high school. I thought he was so ingenious! He made $5k for three months of work. I have no idea why he didn't choose to keep up with it after that period of time.

Sicorra 02/16/2013 12:01 p.m. #

It is a good way to make money for sure. People will always be shopping online.

• jane savers @ the money puzzle

jane savers @ the money puzzle 02/16/2013 4:47 a.m. #

I dog sit for friends. My own dogs have already wrecked my lawn so what is a lttle bit more dead grass.

I charge $15.00 per day. Kennels around here charge almost twice that.

I screen dogs very carefully and I say no to lots of dogs who have bad habits or who I find annoying or aggresive.

Sicorra 02/16/2013 12:02 p.m. #

Pet sitting is an excellent way to make money and $15 a day is extremely reasonable. We use to pay $50 a day for a vet assistant to check in on our cats twice a day when we went on vacation.

• Laurie @thefrugalfarmer

Laurie @thefrugalfarmer 02/16/2013 6:36 a.m. #

Thanks again for more educational info, Sicorra! We're working diligently at figuring out which work at home income earning methods are best for us, and your posts are a tremendous help!

Sicorra 02/16/2013 12:03 p.m. #

I'm sure you guys will sort something out quickly and I bet your kids are more than willing to help out too.

• CarolB

CarolB 02/16/2013 7:01 a.m. #

Thanks for the tips! I recently started helping a non-profit with their social media, and the best part is other than a planning meeting every two weeks, I do it all from home. It's not much but it's a start. I can't imagine going back to corporate America now.

I need to look at possibly monitizing my blog. What are your thoughts on that?

Sicorra 02/16/2013 12:05 p.m. #

That is very cool that you are working for a non profit. And you most definitely should begin working on monetizing your blog, plus add a "Hire Me" page if you haven't already done so.

• Cassi

Cassi 02/16/2013 2:24 p.m. #

Lately, I have seen some other people writing on the same topic, but your ideas are very unique and new!

Sicorra 02/18/2013 1:59 p.m. #

Thanks Cassi!

• Pauline

Pauline 02/16/2013 3:40 p.m. #

I love the idea of flipping websites! Although with the time involved in running one blog I doubt I would be able to run 4/5 while they sell...

Sicorra 02/18/2013 2:01 p.m. #

A few years ago a woman in Australia wrote about how she did nothing but flip websites and domain names. And for a while she really enjoyed doing it, but it does sound like it could include a lot of work.

• Edgar @ Degrees and Debt

Edgar @ Degrees and Debt 02/18/2013 1:01 p.m. #

Great tips here! I always was curious about the domain name real estate markets. I once read an article about a few companies who considered themselves URL REITs in a way. They amassed portfolios of hundreds of thousands of domain names. Some they sold for hefty profits but most were close variations of popular website like instead of and those would contain ad's.

Sicorra 02/18/2013 2:03 p.m. #

Thanks Edgar! I think when the Internet first became popular people jumped at the chance to simply buy domain names even though they had no plans to ever setup a website using them. And then as others wanted those domains they sold them for a nice profit. It can be frustrating though when you want to use one of those domain names and someone has it parked and is just waiting for someone to offer them a lot of money.

• Kevin Watts

Kevin Watts 02/18/2013 7:26 p.m. #

Fantastic list. I never thought of the drop ship idea. I might look into that. I would also add creating and selling software as a pretty lucrative venture if executed correctly.

• Cat Alford

Cat Alford 02/19/2013 8:25 a.m. #

I have never heard of drop shipping!!! That's so interesting. You know I love making money on the side! That's definitely one I've never read about. Love it!

• Suzanne

Suzanne 02/19/2013 3:11 p.m. #

You have some good ideas here that I haven't seen on other blogs. The e-book idea is great. Everyone is an expert at something that they can teach others to do. With the advent of clickbank and all the internet tools out there, marketing and selling an ebook is definitely a "can do"!