How To Make Money Off Your Mobile

make money off your mobile

These days mobile phones are seen as a necessity rather than a luxury. We don’t just use them to make calls or send texts anymore, but to update our Facebook, read the news, browse the web, send emails, edit documents, play games and keep track of our finances.

All these extra features have pushed the cost of a mobile phone through the roof. Take the iPhone 5 for example; it starts from $800 reaching up to almost $1,050 for the most expensive model. Research also suggests that the average cost of owning a mobile is topping $600 per year.

It’s easy to see that keeping up with the latest tech can be incredibly expensive, but did you know that by making money off your old mobile phone, you could keep those costs to a minimum?

Apps

With the modern smartphone now dominating the market, millions of people around the world have access to apps and use them on a daily basis. If you’re quick to learn, you might fancy developing your very own app and selling it on Google Play or the App Store.  Although it’s quite unlikely that you’ll be the creator of the next Twitter or Instagram, you should be able to pocket a few pennies to put towards your next top of the mobile.

It’s not just developing apps that can make money, but using them can also earn you a bit of spare cash. In some cases you don’t even have to go out of your way as many of them offer rewards for stuff you already do, such as shop.

Quidco has a free app, which allows its users to earn money and rewards as they spend. However, the most interesting feature has to be its ‘check-in’, which means that you can start pocketing cash just by walking down the High Street – you won’t have to spend a penny.

Recycling

Don’t think that it’s just fancy new smartphones that can earn you cash, your old mobile phones can too. It is thought that there are more unused mobile phones lying around in the UK than people – yes, 90 million mobiles are just waiting to be sold and make you money.

Websites such as Music Magpie allow people to send in their old mobile phone for cold, hard cash. It’s really simple to do and takes almost no time at all, so what are you waiting more?

You won’t even have to spend any money on getting your mobile recycled as most companies have freepost addresses.

If you want to sell Nokia C3 handsets or other outdated mobiles, get online and see how much they could be worth. Don’t forget that the mobile you’re sending in has to belong to you as companies will not accept stolen goods.

Although the cost of new technology may be emptying out your bank accounts, there are many different ways for you to make money from your mobile phone. Before you splash out on a new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy SIII, cash in on your old one.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 03/21/2013 4:54 a.m. #

I never thought about making money off of my mobile phone, but I think you're right - there are a few ways to do it. I think app development is overblown, but like you said, there are ways to make money simply using apps. I make money off of my Twitter account, so you could say I make money by using it on my phone.

Sicorra 03/21/2013 11:48 a.m. #

App development is something I wanted to learn a few years ago but then I lost interest. I have read stories of people using PaidToTweet to make money with Twitter.

• Money Beagle

Money Beagle 03/21/2013 5:22 a.m. #

I probably could have gotten something from my old Blackberry, but literally the last week I was using it, a crack developed around the edge. It would require a whole new casing, and the salvage values I've seen are around $30-50, and I know the repair would negate this, so it's worthless :) Sad thing is, I can't even give it to the kids to use as a 'toy' phone since it has the crack which can lead to the whole thing falling apart any time.

Sicorra 03/21/2013 11:50 a.m. #

Over the years it seems the fancier all of these mobile devices are getting the more chance there is of something on them breaking easily. I had the brick phone shown in the picture above in '93 and while it was certainly hard to carry, it was extremely difficult to break :-)

• Thrifty Dad

Thrifty Dad 03/21/2013 8:01 a.m. #

There's a big market for used mobile phones. When my last iPhone went dead, after bringing it to two repair shops, I attempted to revive it myself and succeeded only temporarily. I originally bought it used, so there wasn't any warranty on it, and I ended up with a bad one. But it lasted me a while and was half the cost I'd pay for a new one. I figured the phone was toast, but I did a search on Kijiji for broken iPhones and much to my surprise, quite a few results popped up. So I posted it as AS-IS, broken, no returns and voila! within half an hour of my posting, I had over 10 calls and $120 in my pocket, for a phone I was ready to toss.

Sicorra 03/21/2013 11:53 a.m. #

How cool for you! It is incredible that people\companies do buy old and even broken cell phones, and in your case for a nice amount of cash. Who would've thought??

krantcents 03/21/2013 8:38 a.m. #

A cell phone is a necessity for people like my wife and I who have given up our landlines. When my contract is up this Fall, I am even considering a smartphone. I never thought I would ever say that!

• Debt Roundup

Debt Roundup 03/21/2013 11:07 a.m. #

I tend to try to make money from old used phones. I sometimes will offer to take them off the hands of others that no longer want them. I will then sell them or recycle them if they are too old. It makes some cash, but not enough to write home about.

• Shannon @ The HeavyPurse

Shannon @ The HeavyPurse 03/21/2013 12:56 p.m. #

First, I have to acknowledge the fabulous picture that both makes me feel old and laugh, because I can clearly remember the evolution of the mighty cell phone. It's amazing to think just a handful of years ago, I never imagined being able to do more than talk on a cell phone. Nor did I even have the desire to do anything more than talk on my cell phone. Oh, how times have changed. I'm not a techie person, but I know a lot of people who dream of hitting it big with Apps.

Sicorra 03/21/2013 1:19 p.m. #

You are not alone Shannon! We owned that brick on the left in the 90's and it was hilarious! And you are right, I never considered back then how popular and how they would evolve either. And as I just commented on Laurie's blog, to this day I do not know how to send a text message LOL

• Karyn S

Karyn S 03/21/2013 2:11 p.m. #

I am going to look into Music Magpie this weekend and see how this exactly works out, because I have a ton of old cell phones and unused CDs and DVDs that I can get some easy cash for.

Sicorra 03/21/2013 5:17 p.m. #

Yes, check it out Karyn! Hope you are able to make some cash :-)

• Pam@Pennysaverblog

Pam@Pennysaverblog 03/21/2013 2:19 p.m. #

There definitely are a lot of apps that can be used to do banking, and to find cheap gas, sales on products, etc. I just have to remember to use them more often.

Sicorra 03/21/2013 5:18 p.m. #

It seems like there are more apps created everyday to make a person's life easier.

Corina Ramos 03/21/2013 3:38 p.m. #

Definitely a creative way to make some extra money. I wish I could develop an App, I don't know anything about HTML and I assume it would a little harder than that :)

I've got lots of old phones, I'll be checking out those recycle sites soon :)

Sicorra 03/21/2013 5:19 p.m. #

Check it out! They pay people for a number of different products too.