Let’s Play 20 Questions With Shannon @TheHeavyPurse

shannon from the heavy purse

As I mentioned last week when I introduced the lovely Corina, Tackling Our Debt is growing and changing things up a bit. And as part of that I am thrilled to be adding wonderful new contributors who will be sharing their expertise on here several times a month.

lets play 20 questions with shannonThis week I would like to introduce Shannon from Los Angeles, California.

Many of you already know Shannon.

She is an amazing woman, wife, mother, financial planner, blogger, and author of a book that she has published known as The Heavy Purse.

Please welcome Shannon. You can also catch up with Shannon on Twitter @TheHeavyPurse.

Let’s Play 20 Questions With Shannon @TheHeavyPurse

When you attend a social function would you consider yourself an introvert or a social butterfly?

I’m a Social Butterfly!  I love visiting with old friends and meeting new people too. But I also need quiet time as well.

If you could do one thing over in your life, what would it be?

My Dad has been a huge inspiration to me, and I have many fond memories of us fishing together. If I could turn back the clock, I would go fishing in Alaska with my Dad before he died. He’s been gone for almost nine years and I miss him every day.

What’s a secret ambition of yours?

To be one of the voices that brings financial literacy to the forefront in this country. In all fairness, this is not exactly a secret. :)

What is it that you absolutely couldn’t live without?

My family.

How would you describe yourself as a child?

I was a young entrepreneur.  I would make things to sell, wash cars and deliver papers to earn money.

Your favorite movie of all time?

Crash. It demonstrates how we impact each other’s lives–very powerful. It reminds me to always be mindful of my words and actions.

Finish this sentence: A perfect day would be one where....

I am on a beach with my family.

Your family’s favorite dinner?

Taco night.  Everyone can fix their taco to their specification, so it’s easy on Mom and the girls love it!

Cat person or dog person?

We love animals and the girls’ first share goal was to donate money to help feed kittens waiting to be adopted. We have a large Siamese cat named Prince (yes, the girls named him) but in hindsight, with our busy schedule and love of traveling, we are probably better off being supporters of animal causes than pet owners. But don’t worry - Prince is treated like royalty in our home.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, and the sky was the limit, where would it be, and why?

South Africa with my girls. My husband and I went to Kenya years ago on safari and loved it! This may become a future family save goal.

A song that instantly makes you want to shake your booty?

I love music and many songs make me want to shake my booty! But an all-time favorite is “A Little Less Conversation” by Elvis.

Your favorite subject in high school?

History. I’m sure you expected Math or Economics. :) But understanding our history can prevent us from repeating mistakes, including financial ones.

Your favorite toy as a child?

My  Barbie Dream House. I spent many wonderful hours with my sisters and friends playing with it and dreaming about my own future Dream House.

Favorite month?

October, I love Fall! And yes, we have Fall in LA.

Favorite fun family activity?

Disneyland. We have annual passes, and the girls loving spending the day there. It brings back a lot of good memories for me too. When I was young, my Mom would take me to Disneyland, and she called them “mental health days”. It is still good for my soul!

shannon and her girls

If you could invite 3 people you have never met to dinner who would they be and why?

Jesus, Gandhi, and Mother Theresa.  Can you imagine the love, peace and feeling of hope after such an experience?

First car you ever owned?

A Dodge Charger. When I turned 16, my father gave me a choice of my Grandmother’s car (old light blue Dodge Charger) and a Mediterranean cruise OR a new car. I love to travel, so it was an easy choice for me – car and cruise!

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Peppermint.

Do you speak a second language?

No, but I wish I could speak Spanish.

How old were you when you first started working and what was your first job?

I had a paper route at 14 and went to work for my Dad in his medical practice when I turned 16. For awhile it was toss-up between following my Dad’s footsteps and becoming an oral surgeon or a financial advisor. He was proud of my decision back then, and I believe he would be even prouder today to see how I’m helping other parents talk to their kids about money.

Thank you very much for sharing Shannon! That was fun and I am very excited to have you contribute to Tackling Our Debt.

Comments

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 04/10/2013 4:51 a.m. #

Who doesn't love Taco night - it sure is my favorite! Although you are on your own with the peppermint ice cream...

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 9:27 a.m. #

Taco night is the best! It's easy and yummy! And most importantly, nobody complains! Since you like taco night, I won't give you grief for not liking peppermint ice cream too. :)

Sicorra 04/10/2013 10:49 a.m. #

I'm definitely a taco night fan as well. Not sure I've ever tried peppermint ice cream but I will look for it since it does sound delicious.

• Laurie @thefrugalfarmer

Laurie @thefrugalfarmer 04/10/2013 5:34 a.m. #

Wow, Shannon, you're popular today. :-). Sicorra, we just did a post featuring Shannon today too!. Great questions here - fun stuff!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 9:30 a.m. #

Thanks to a couple of my favorite ladies - I am very popular today. And honored to be a part of both of your websites! :)

Sicorra 04/10/2013 10:50 a.m. #

Hey Laurie, what a coincidence. Thanks for stopping by :-)

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 9:33 a.m. #

The interview was fun and I hope your readers enjoy it! I am thrilled to be one of your new contributors and appreciate you thinking of me! I hope I can help make a difference in your readers lives.

Sicorra 04/10/2013 10:51 a.m. #

Thanks very much Shannon! It is very exciting to have you onboard. You have so much wonderful knowledge to share.

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 04/10/2013 9:51 a.m. #

Great interview! LOL, on the "yes, we do have Fall here in L.A." It's funny that people think here in So Cal, we are just 80 degrees all year long! Fall is my favorite season too :)

Sicorra 04/10/2013 10:53 a.m. #

Thanks Mackenzie! I bet fall is beautiful there. I've only been there in March\April time and both times the weather was in the 70's and very nice and sunny. Loved it!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 11:54 a.m. #

Thanks, Mackenzie! Sicorra had some great, fun questions for me. I also tell people that it gets cold here too and they don't believe it, but the nights can be brisk! You should come in the Fall, Sicorra, you would love it. We'd all have to grab a coffee together! :)

DC @ Young Adult Money 04/10/2013 12:21 p.m. #

Great interview. I definitely agree that Crash is a good movie, and we are having taco night tonight - so pumped! Looking forward to reading your posts on this site.

Sicorra 04/10/2013 4:54 p.m. #

Thanks DC! Enjoy your Taco night :-)

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 7:35 p.m. #

Thanks DC! I'm looking forward to contributing. :) Oh, taco night is a favorite night in every home, right?!? Enjoy them!

Corina Ramos 04/10/2013 12:27 p.m. #

Well it was certainly nice to get to know more about you Shannon! I have never been to L.A. (fear of flying) so I can only picture what you describe as the perfect day at the beach.

So glad we've connected! Sicorra, hope things are going well!

Sicorra 04/10/2013 4:55 p.m. #

Thanks Corina! And yes, spending a day on a beach, esp. in California, does sound wonderful.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 7:39 p.m. #

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview, Corina. I certainly enjoyed getting to know better last week. The three of us are going to have fun working together! Oh no - a fear of flying. That definitely makes things tough. When the girls were younger, we'd pile everything into a wagon (including them) and pull them to the beach. Great memories!

• Alan@escapingmydebt

Alan@escapingmydebt 04/10/2013 1:38 p.m. #

I like these types of post when you get to know more about a person and what drives them to be who they are. Thank you Shannon and Sicorra for sharing.

Sicorra 04/10/2013 4:55 p.m. #

Glad you enjoyed it Alan! Thanks very much!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/10/2013 7:40 p.m. #

Thanks, Alan! I like these types of posts too! :)