Let’s Be Honest, Is Money Really That Important to You?

is money really that important to you

Honestly, How Important is Money to You?

Yesterday Glen published a post that relates to this: Time is Money – What are you Sacrificing for Money? and it got me thinking about how important money really is to me.

So how important is money to me? To me, having money is very important. Why? Because it helps me with all of the other priorities in my life.

Our Health

My first priority in life is for my husband and I and our 2 cats to continue to be in excellent health.

Having money helps us do that. It pays for our extended health insurance which covers us for dental visits, chiropractor and naturopath visits, and so on.

Money allows us to take our pets for their annual vet visits and to be proactive when it comes to their health.

It allows us to buy healthy food for both us and our cats.

It allows us to live in a warm, safe, quiet home in a safe neighbourhood. Our home isn’t too big (except on house cleaning days) and it isn’t too small. We have everything we need.

It allows us to purchase home insurance, car insurance, and life insurance, should something unfortunate ever happen. It allows us to continue to pay off our bills and build a nest egg for the future.

Having money will allow us to travel again, one day soon, as we both love travelling.

And, if all works well, money will hopefully allow us to relocate to Germany or Switzerland one day in the near future.

Even though money is important to me, I am not willing to settle for a high paying job that makes me miserable, stressed out, or chews up every waking moment of my day, just so that I can have more money. Those days are behind me.

Balancing Act

So how can a person balance the two? How can a person make enough money without making huge sacrifices? I have a couple of ideas.

Do What You Like

do what you likeThe most important thing for you to consider is that you have to do what makes you happy above all else.

What kind of profession is most rewarding to you?

What are you good at?

Both of these questions go hand in hand, because there's no use even trying to get a job in something you like if you're not skilled enough to find employment in that particular field.

And there is no use even trying to get a job that you are good at but get the least amount of pleasure from.

Now, if you can find gainful employment with a fantastic income while simultaneously living your dreams, that's absolutely perfect.

However, if this happened, and then a different job came along whose only advantage was that it carried with it a higher pay cheque, would you take it?

This is something to really think about.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with taking a job just for the money – after all, we have families to feed and futures to protect, and sometimes that means sacrifice.

But do you want to continue to work in the hopes of building a good retirement fund, if you spend your working years doing something that doesn't make you happy?

The Importance of Luxuries

family time

One big factor in determining how important money is in your life is finding out just how much you like the things that require a lot of money to get. Besides, if you don't really care what you do for a living as long as you can take a great vacation a few times a year, and buy expensive vehicles, what's the difference?

However, there are some who may not want to wait to reap the benefits of their work.

For these people, they'd rather spend a bigger part of each day, right now, in the moment, enjoying themselves, instead of being cooped up in a full–time job they could care less about.

They don't care so much about taking lavish vacations or having really nice stuff all the time.

Instead they take pride in the little things, like their family or their friends, and being able to do something they enjoy, even if they'd end up with a slightly smaller house in the end.

These people place a premium on emotional richness as opposed to mere financial wealth, which is something for all of us to think about.

Achieving Your Dreams

What are your dreams?

How long do you plan to work?

How much money would you need to do all the things you want to do?

All of these questions should be considered very carefully, because they can really shape your priorities, as Shannon discussed in her blog post yesterday, titled “Want to Experience Financial Freedom? Then Set Goals”.

Consider the things you want to do in life. Would being rich make them that much easier to do?

You might find that you can still pull off everything that you want in life without having to slave away at a job that you hate.

You may not need the vacation house or the sports car, or even an early retirement, but you do want people who care about you, a family, and a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction that you can feel on a more regular basis.

Besides, what's the point of being rich if you have to give up so much of yourself that you don't enjoy your hard–earned wealth as much as you would like to?

I mean look at all of the extremely wealthy people that died young due to the all the stress they endured while trying to make millions of dollars.

It's entirely possible that you don't even need to make as much money as you think.

Consider the material things that you'd like to get – your dream car or house, the ideal number of vacations a year, and other nice stuff.

Can you get all that while doing something you love to make that money?

If the answer is yes, then you're set for life.

As long as you can take care of your family, follow your dreams, and enjoy what luxuries you simply cannot do without, you can rest assured that you have the means to live a great life. So next time you start to feel anxious and worried about making more money, remember to ask yourself "Honestly, How Important is Money?".

• Holly@ClubThrifty

Holly@ClubThrifty 04/11/2013 5:13 a.m. #

Money is fairly important to me. I wish it didn't play such a huge role in society, but it does, and I have to accumulate a lot of money to be able to live the life that I really want! =)

Sicorra 04/11/2013 11:05 a.m. #

It does play a huge role. It seems everytime we turn around someone wants more money from us. Either the accountant, the dentist, the government, whoever...

• Average Joe

Average Joe 04/11/2013 6:08 a.m. #

I love those studies that show happiness doesn't increase with more money after a certain point (I don't have it handy, but I think it's around $75k). You can chase more cash, but as Bud Fox said to Gordon Gekko in Wall Street, "Just how many yachts can you water ski behind?"

Sicorra 04/11/2013 11:07 a.m. #

I understand what your saying. I think the amount varies of course depending on where you live. $75K in our city pretty much makes you lower middle class where as $75K on the east coast of Canada could mean that you are doing well.

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 04/11/2013 6:39 a.m. #

Money is important to me, but generally only so far as it provides for our needs and wants that we have. Time will generally trump money for me which is part of the reason why I left the corporate world. It was no longer worth my time to bust my hump for a job I was miserable in.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 11:08 a.m. #

It is interesting how many of us find corporate jobs to be so unsatisfying no matter how much they pay us.

• Pauline

Pauline 04/11/2013 1:47 p.m. #

Exactly, a salary is the sacrifice of time to go to work, and once you reach a certain level of income, time becomes more important. I am not multi million rich but there is no amount that will get me back into an office.

krantcents 04/11/2013 9:33 a.m. #

When you have enough money, it is less important! Lack of money usually materially affects one's life negatively. They say that $75K is minimum for a reasonable life. With less I cannot do all the things I want, but I can survive. It helps to keep a modest lifestyle.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 11:13 a.m. #

You quote the $75 that many people refer to just as Joe did above. I really think that depends on where a person lives though, right. When you lived in NY did $75 provide a reasonable life or would you need more?

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/11/2013 10:17 a.m. #

I love this post! It is really a balancing act. Money is important to me too for pretty much the same reasons as you mentioned. But at the same time, like you, I'm not willing to compromise the things that matter to me or my integrity for more money. It's not worth it and I don't want to set a bad example for my girls. I want my money to afford me a comfortable life where I can create life-long memories with my family and loved ones, whether it is a day the beach or a fancy vacation.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 11:19 a.m. #

You touch on a very good point that is becoming more and more popular and that is creating memories vs buying stuff. Stuff is just stuff but good, fun memories are irreplaceable.

• Michelle

Michelle 04/11/2013 10:46 a.m. #

This is definitely something that we have been thinking about a lot lately. We are making more money than ever, and we feel happy, but we are TIRED!

Sicorra 04/11/2013 10:58 a.m. #

That is a very good point Michelle! Even if we find work that makes us happy and a lot of money, is it still worth it when it makes us so tired?

It is a difficult struggle for sure.

In regard to online work I've watched several people over the past 5 years work 24 hour days (no kidding) to build their online business. They even add in family members to help. And yes, they make a lot of money, but after about 6 to 8 months their body and mind just can't take it anymore and they crash hard.

• Bren

Bren 04/11/2013 10:53 a.m. #

Money is only important to me for survival. Keeping a roof over my head and my family fed. If my current job was causing me discomfort or health issues, I'd definitely find another job as soon as possible.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 11:21 a.m. #

I think it is great that you acknowledge that and would do that. So many people get attached to their job and even if they don't enjoy it they stop themselves from looking for something better.

• Jacob @ iHeartBudgets

Jacob @ iHeartBudgets 04/11/2013 11:37 a.m. #

Money is a tool for me to provide for my family and give to my church and those in need. That's a basis of why it's important to me. Outside of those things, I don't care too much, except to have some extra fun.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 4:19 p.m. #

Extra fun is very important too. And sometimes that takes money, esp if you enjoy vacations and such.

• Virgil

Virgil 04/11/2013 12:03 p.m. #

Good, well balanced article about both the virtues of money and the good causes it can be put to. We only get one life and it's important to evaluate the things that really matter and commit ourselves to creating value for as many as we can while here.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 4:27 p.m. #

Thanks Virgil. Yes it is good to work on the areas that are truly important.

DC @ Young Adult Money 04/11/2013 3:01 p.m. #

Good stuff Sicorra. My post wasn't nearly as long as yours, but I also was pondering money today. I see money as the direct representation of value provided. The great thing about capitalism is getting to choose how you provide value, and being able to choose the right thing that allows you to maximize both your quality of life and income. I would say money is quite important to me right now because it's a stressor with student loans, a mortgage, car loans, etc. I am willing to sacrifice time right now to build up money and get a solid foundation laid, but ultimately I want more time with my wife, my kids - in ten years when we have them ;), and friends and other family.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 4:26 p.m. #

Thanks DC! I know, what started out as a short post for me ended up pretty long. I get carried away.

I agree that it is important for you to build a good foundation now, while you are younger. But from what you've said previously, it also sounds like you enjoy your the work you are doing too, right? If so, that is, I think, the important part.

When I really enjoyed my corporate job I worked tons of hours as well and had very little time to myself, but the work was fun and the money was amazing.

• NZ Muse

NZ Muse 04/11/2013 6:01 p.m. #

Interesting! I hear Switzerland is a crazy expensive country to live in.

Money is a means to an end for me. We live in a capitalist world, so money is extremely important to me due to all the things it can provide.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 7:14 p.m. #

Thanks for stopping by! I know, you are right, Switzerland is expensive. I actually forgot that. Maybe it will be Germany.

Yes, money is important. Pretty much everything a person wants to do costs money.

• Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank

Glen @ Monster Piggy Bank 04/11/2013 6:19 p.m. #

Thanks for the mention Sicorra. I think you hit the nail on the head with this post in terms of evaluating the place money has in your life, but like all things it is a personal decision that only you as an individual can make.

Thought provoking stuff indeed.

Sicorra 04/11/2013 7:15 p.m. #

It definitely is a personal decision. Some say they are happy with just enough for a comfortable living, but I gotta admit that there are days where I wish we had loads of money too.

• Thrifty Dad

Thrifty Dad 04/11/2013 9:57 p.m. #

Excellent post. As long as my family is healthy and we have a roof over our heads (fully paid for, of course) haha. No, honestly to me, making more money isn't a top priority. I'd trade it to spend more time with family, sprinkle in the odd vacation here and there, and working at a job I truly loved – I could be just as happy getting paid what I do (although slightly more would be nice) :).

Sicorra 04/14/2013 11:15 a.m. #

Thanks! A little more money would definitely be nice! From what I've read, you already have a job that you love, no?

• LadyUnemployed

LadyUnemployed 04/13/2013 11:30 a.m. #

Money definitely is important to a certain point. I love having a safe place to live, some spending money, and general comforts. For this reason, I know I will always want to work and have money coming in. I do think though that money isn't everything. That there a certain thing that trouble me, that money could never fix. Interesting post!

Sicorra 04/14/2013 11:19 a.m. #

I agree - I love having a safe place to live as well, along with some spending flexibility, that a few extra dollars allows us to have.