Overcoming a Confidence Crisis When You Work at Home

overcoming a confidence crisis

Imagine the disarray; a letter arrives in the mail about the property insurance and now you’re on hold for minutes on your mobile trying to figure out what happened. Thank goodness for unlimited calls.

The post you thought you saved the night before is poof, gone and to make matters worse you can’t think of another topic for a new post.  Forget about going to the emergency post file, there’s nothing there you can use.

The sheets and blankets in the washing machine have to be rewashed because you forgot about them. And when you checked the analytics report, the blog isn’t doing as well as you’d like.

Ever had one of those moments when suddenly you feel like you can’t do anything right, and then boom, you start to lose confidence in your work at home life? You start to question whether it was worth it.

Especially if you’re new in your respected business, or if there’s a lot at stake, having decided to work from home, those feelings make you want to throw in the towel.

Having personally experienced this myself (it was very easy to come up with those scenarios in the beginning of this post), I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know you’re not alone.

Heck, even some of the best ones out there may have a slight twinge every now and then, the only difference is we, the newbies, are in panic mode while the experts we look up to have been there, done that and know it too shall pass.

It’s easy to see why people give up and head back to an office job because no one ever expected setbacks. We work from home, how could there be setbacks?  Despite all the hoopla going on, we can still keep our self-confidence. Here’s what you can do to overcome a confidence crisis when you work at home.

Remember Your Goal

When those thoughts start to make you feel like you can’t, think about why you decided to work from home in the first place. Was it to spend more time with the family? Did you want to have your own business and be your own boss? Reminding yourself of the goals you set will keep you motivated to push through those times when you feel like giving up.

Seek The Advice Of Others

There’s nothing worse than feeling like you’re the only one going through a confidence crisis. Like I said before, even the best of the best have had their confidence tested at some point in their career. If there is someone you admire in your field reach out to them and ask for their advice.

Get Ready For This One, Implement The Advice You Get

So you’ve sought the advice and folks are telling you to take a step back and think about all the milestones you’ve reached. To remember you can only do one thing at a time and they even share suggestions for planning your day, stuff they do personally.

A week has gone by and still nothing. Are you taking their advice or are you ignoring the notes on your doodle pad? The reason why they shared it is because it’s worked for them. In other words, just do it.

Join An Online Community

Sites like Triberr will connect you with others in your niche. You’ll also discover bloggers who specialize in writing self-improvement advice and techniques. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found a post that had just what I was looking for.

Re-evaluate Your Goals

Maybe you set the bar a little too high. I know I’ve done this before. We are our own worst critics after all.

Take a look at your goals and make some adjustments. Maybe you have to postpone a couple of projects. If you do, that’s okay too.

Surround Yourself With Positive Thoughts

I’m a firm believer in this. When I start to feel my confidence shake I play this song. I hope you’ll take some time and listen to it.  When we surround ourselves with positive people and things around us, our confidence level will always be on high.

Over To You

Tell us, what do you do to help overcome a confidence crisis?

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

• Pauline

Pauline 04/16/2013 6:33 a.m. #

I like to write down what has already been achieved. It is easy to focus on a small set back when you really have been doing 95% of it pretty well.

Sicorra 04/16/2013 11:54 a.m. #

It is good to remind yourself of what you have already accomplished.

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:01 p.m. #

I agree Pauline. I have a daily to do list that includes my goals for the day. I try to get everything done on my list, of course you know life always throws us a curve ball so we have to adjust...I do that a lot :)

Thanks for taking time to comment. Hope you're having a great day!

• Ellen M. Gregg

Ellen M. Gregg 04/16/2013 7:38 a.m. #

Great post, Corina. I really needed to read this today - of course. That's the way it usually works. Right? I especially like the the "implement the advice" tip. Let's just say it resonates with me. ;-)
      How do I overcome a confidence crisis? I get out of my head. Something as simple as making a batch of pretzels, or washing the dishes, or raking the yard can give me the break I need from my mind's incessant chatter.

Sicorra 04/16/2013 11:55 a.m. #

Making a batch of pretzels sounds wonderful :-)

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:08 p.m. #

I love reading a post that totally relates to me, especially when a fix is included so I know what you mean :).

I learned from personal experience about the "implement" part. I'd be wallowing in my pity party then while thumbing through my notes I see the answer was there all along.

I like to get on the treadmill to release bad energy. I put on some music and just go. I hate getting started but once I'm on there, I get in the zone :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed and related to this post, mission accomplished. :)

krantcents 04/16/2013 8:33 a.m. #

I keep my goals in front of me to remind me of what is a priority. I monitor my goals weekly to adjust my effort and check my progress. Sometimes, I need to adjust my efforts to reach my goals.

Sicorra 04/16/2013 11:56 a.m. #

It is important to refer to them regularly. I bet many people write down their goals and rarely refer to them afterwards.

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:13 p.m. #

I'm always adjusting my goals because life likes throwing those curve balls :)

I print out a weekly to do list and stick to it as much as I can, keeps me in line :) Thanks so much for taking time to comment!

• Bren

Bren 04/16/2013 8:59 a.m. #

Hi Corina! Great seeing you here! This post is awesome and an inspiration to those who are going through these same exact things. It's so easy to quit and go back but those who continue to push for their goals are dreams are the ones who are truly happy. I hope some day, as I continue to push towards my goals, I'll be able to attain them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sicorra 04/16/2013 11:57 a.m. #

You've got a lot on the go Bren with 2 awesome blogs aside from your job. Wishing you much success!

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:25 p.m. #

Hey girly!

I'm so glad you can relate to this post :) That was an actual real scenario for me and it all happened in the same hour. Sicorra just gave me an outlet to vent my frustration :)

I can't tell you how many times I've thought about quitting but I'm not a quitter. Thankfully my hard work is starting to payoff, I can see it and it's the best feeling ever...so don't give up peeps because there's a happy ending :)

Thanks for taking time to comment Bren!

DC @ Young Adult Money 04/16/2013 9:12 a.m. #

This is some really good advice, and though I have not worked from home full-time, I can imagine a "what have I done?!??!?" moment happening sooner or later where I would doubt making the switch.

Sicorra 04/16/2013 11:58 a.m. #

I think we all question our decisions at some point and hope that we have made the right choices.

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:31 p.m. #

Oh my goodness I have one of those "what did I get myself into" moments at least a couple times a month but I power through it :).

I just remind myself of all the advice I've gotten like don't give up, it gets better.

I'm glad I listened because a year later, I'm starting to see the payoff. Had I not, I wouldn't have been able to celebrate the milestones I've reached.

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts DC. Hope you're having a great day!

AverageJoe 04/16/2013 9:24 a.m. #

Good advice. I love the point on actually implementing. If you don't implement the advice you're given and like, there's another name for this process: "bitching."

Sicorra 04/16/2013 12:09 p.m. #

Many people talk, but never implement and then wonder why nothing changes.

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:34 p.m. #

I agree with Sicorra, there's no action. And when there's no action there's no right to "bitch" about it.

Glad you liked the advice AverageJoe. Hope you're having a great day! :)

• Grayson @ Debt Roundup

Grayson @ Debt Roundup 04/16/2013 9:52 a.m. #

Nice advice Corina. There are many times when you can start thinking that things are not going well. You just have to remember why you are doing what you are doing. There will always be hard days, but hopefully the good days outweigh those. Getting into panic mode doesn't do anything for you.

Sicorra 04/16/2013 12:11 p.m. #

Excellent point Grayson! Hopefully the good days do outweigh the slow ones.

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 12:40 p.m. #

Hi Grayson, thanks so much for taking time to share your thoughts.

You are so right about leaving emptied-handed after a pity-party.

I've had a couple myself and I won't go there anymore :). It puts a strain in other aspects of our lives and it's just not healthy.

And you both are right about outweighing the good with the bad, it always helps. Have a great day you two :).

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 04/16/2013 10:17 a.m. #

Great post, Corina!! We all have those moments where we wonder - what have done?!?!?! It's so important to get out of your head. I love - "Get Ready For This One, Implement The Advice You Get" So true! How often we do seek out experts and get phenomenal advice that we ponder and then ponder some more. Just do it is right!

Sicorra 04/16/2013 12:13 p.m. #

I agree Shannon. And why do we pay experts for advice and then put off following it??

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 9:08 p.m. #

I remember reading some advice for improving my blog's presence and while at first I was like nah, this isn't gonna work for me, imagine my surprise when the outcome happened just like that person said it would.

That was my light bulb moment and from that point on I made sure to just do it. And you're right Sicorra, people pay to get advice and then not follow through...jeeze.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Shannon. Hope you've had a great day!

• Thrifty Dad

Thrifty Dad 04/16/2013 10:38 a.m. #

Everyone will always encounter setbacks, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :) But you're right it's so important not only to seek advice, but implement it. I can't remember how many times I've said I'm so gonna do this today and make some real changes and then complain or make excuses, when nothing changes. Great article!

Sicorra 04/16/2013 12:17 p.m. #

Yes, we all encounter setbacks. You are definitely not alone in that. We just need to keep working on things until we overcome whatever obstacles are in our way.

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 9:14 p.m. #

Sicorra is right, you're not alone and what I love about the blogging community is how they rally around us and give support when we need it.

I've been there too Thrifty Dad, I probably think that a couple times a month :)

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts!

• Adrienne

Adrienne 04/16/2013 7:03 p.m. #

Hey Cori,

Great post and I can say I've never felt that. You just know that my time online has been smooth sailing. NOT!!! OMG girl!

You know what kept me from running back to corporate America? I promised myself I was done with that. At my age and all the crap I went through I refused to let this beat me. I hung in there through thick and thin and I don't regret a minute of it. It took me forever it seems like to get to where I am but the learning process and the people I've met along the way have made this all worth it. Oh, and I'm working from home making my way. It doesn't get much better then that.

Great tips for staying in the game and great post here girl. Congrats!

~Adrienne

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 9:23 p.m. #

You know Adrienne, in my eyes you're like a celebrity in the blogging world and to have you give me kudos on a post, OMG!

I'm so glad I waited to read the rest of the comments tonight, it just made the whole day perfect, thanks so much!

It looks like we have the corporate America experience in common. I worked 60 plus hours a week, no vacation because when I was off they still called and I had my laptop and remote access. Talk about stressed out!

There's no way I'm going back to that. That is my motivation and what helps me get over that hump when I feel a pity party come on. :)

Thanks so much for taking time to read and share your thoughts. :) Have a great night!

• Donna

Donna 04/16/2013 8:47 p.m. #

Excellent post, Corina! When we decided to become parents we knew we wanted me to be able to stay home. There's been ups and downs, but so worth the flexibility it has given me. I can spend all day at my son's school (like I did today), if I need or want to... I just work a little later tonight to get caught up on what I missed earlier. My son is my constant reminder that it's all worth it. Oh, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to rewash a load of clothes because I forgot to take them out of the wash. :)

Corina Ramos 04/16/2013 9:29 p.m. #

I'm gonna share a story. I once had to rewash towels because of the smell and I had to was it in sanitation, which is like a two hour cycle.

My husband gets home from work and no towels! Thank goodness I live a house down from my mom or I would have been in a pickle! :)

When I was working in an office I missed out on my kids growing up. I didn't get so see any plays, even worse the kids wouldn't participate because I couldn't take them to practice or pick them up.

Now that I'm working from home my two youngest who are teens now are thriving in school and participate in all these activities. I'm driving all over the place but like you said it's worth it!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Have a great night Lady!

• Harleena Singh

Harleena Singh 04/16/2013 9:31 p.m. #

Hi Corina - nice to see you here :)

Oh yes...I can so well relate to this one, especially when we are mostly all working from home.

When I started off initially, there were all kind of self-doubts whether I will be able to do what I set out to, and the final aim of really achieving success. But that lack of confidence died it's natural death with time and once I started taking small steps to achieve a little each day. Not too mention - give yourself a pat on the back for those small achievements too!

Now of course, it's been a few years in the Blogosphere and the confidence levels are high, but sometimes there are those down times too that we all come across. I guess self-affirmations and thinking positive works well then.

Thanks for sharing an inspirational post with all of us. :)