Tips for Spring Cleaning a Home Office

spring cleaning home office

Spring is in the air and that usually motivates people to do some spring cleaning around the house. Now how about some tips for spring cleaning a home-office?

I love a clean office. The clean work space helps me think more clearly and focus on what I’m doing at that moment. Donna Merrill said it best about a cluttered office in her post Organize Your Space, Clear Your Mind when she said “When your environment is cluttered it distracts your brain.  When there are too many objects around they shout out to your brain that they to be attended to.”

Adrienne Smith gave us tips for spring cleaning a blog and we even got tips for spring cleaning our Twitter account by Lisa Buben. Today I’d like to share some simple and space-saving ideas for cleaning your home-office.

Purging and Merging

It’s time to get into those filing cabinets and sort through those documents. Make two piles, documents that should be kept such as tax documents and another of those that can be discarded like utility bills.

If you’re like me you probably have a file for each of your creditors. Make a file for paid-in-full accounts and keep any pay off confirmations and toss the others.

Binders, Dividers, and Bins, Oh My

organizing home officeKeep utility bills tracked in a binder for the year and use dividers to separate each month. Use bins as shown in the picture for paper clips, pens, and other office supplies. I got these at the dollar store and it helps keep my desk neat and gives me more space.

Cleaning the Computer, Keyboard, and Printer

Keep computer and keyboards clear of dust and crumbs…come on now I know you eat at your desk like I do. Old habits die hard right?

Anyway...use microfiber cloths to prevent scratching and cotton balls or cotton swabs better known as q-tips to clean equipment.  For those hard to reach places I like using a cleaning duster to spray in between the keys and in the fans of my hard drive. Use these items to clean printers or other electronics as well.

Help the Environment, Recycle Paper

I love to doodle, especially when I’m talking on the phone. If this is you recycle old print outs like I do. I take a standard-sized paper and cut it in four. Makes for great scratch paper and since I don’t have to buy notepads, I’m also saving money and I’m helping the environment.

Over to You

So there you have it. Easy things to do to keep a home-office clean and decluttered right? Let’s talk. Is your home-office neat or does it, as I like to call it “look productive”? Does it affect your work whether you have a clean work space or not? Finally, what are some of your cleaning tips?

Sit a spell and share your thoughts with us!

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 05/09/2013 5:23 a.m. #

In our home office I really need to install shelves. It's been on my "to do" list for months now but I haven't gotten around to it. I also have so many file folders that need to be reviewed, and a huge pile of stuff that needs to be filed. Might take a few days.

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 10:55 a.m. #

I have a special drawer for filing that I need to get to as well :)

It's tough being a one-person office isn't it :)

Thanks for stopping by today :) Hope you're having a great day DC!

• Free Money Minute

Free Money Minute 05/09/2013 12:16 p.m. #

Could be worse, could be a few weeks worth of organizing!

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 7:13 p.m. #

LOL...then those weeks turn into months :)

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 05/09/2013 9:09 a.m. #

These are some great tips! We have to do this ourselves to try and declutter around our house. Running our business out of our house means it all sort of merges together which can make it difficult.

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 10:58 a.m. #

Glad you liked them John.

I agree with you on that. For me I have to have a system and I try put things back as I go but there are days when that doesn't happen and I can't see the top of my desk :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a great day!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 05/09/2013 9:58 a.m. #

Great tips, Corina! I like to keep my desk clean, so I do a pretty good job of staying organized. I love systems so they help keep my office more efficient and myself (and hopefully my staff too) a little less crazed.

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 11:14 a.m. #

Hey Shannon.

Glad you liked it. I try to keep it as simple as possible :)

I don't like a messy desk either. I can't think around all that stuff, it's a reminder of what I still have to do :)

I have a system in place to and I try my best to put things back after I'm done using it but there are those days...

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're having a great Thursday!

• Kendal @HassleFreeSaver

Kendal @HassleFreeSaver 05/09/2013 10:56 a.m. #

Great tips! I'm a big fan of baskets and recently organized my study closet with ones I purchased from TJMaxx. My mom made this beautiful cork board that I hung just above my monitors. I pinned a calendar there as well as important reminders like invitations -- and of course photos of family and friends! I purge my file cabinet every six months and try to hold onto only the important documents so it doesn't get too full. I definitely need better desktop organization and could use some shelves.

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 2:31 p.m. #

I like the idea of purging every six months. I usually do it on New Years Day to remind me of that.

You can find some great deals at TJMaxx and being creative gives it that homey feeling too.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your tips!

• Bren

Bren 05/09/2013 11:34 a.m. #

Woohoo!! Gotta keep that office clean! However, my office at home is my she-cave and the couch. The hubs has taken over the office for bill paying and such and well, it's a mess. I filed for him a long time ago and refused to do it again. He has piles here and there. So annoying! But again, I refuse to touch anything. My laptop sits next to my couch in my she-cave along with a couple pens, notebook, and essentials. Oh and can't forget my cellphone :)

Great post Corina!

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 2:34 p.m. #

Looks like you got everything at your fingertips girl...I would include some snacks in there too :)

I'm the accountant in the family. My she-cave is my office and the hubs only comes in to use the computer. He loves doodling on my calendars and writing on anything and I'm very particular about that...I've left hints like scratch paper and it still doesn't work :)

Thanks for stopping by Bren! Hope you're having a great day :)

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 05/09/2013 1:12 p.m. #

Great tips! I am an organized person, but sometimes paperwork gets the best of me :)

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 7:11 p.m. #

Mackenzie...you're not alone on that one! I try my best and I can promise you at least once a week I literally just leave my desk with all the paperwork scattered. Of course, it's on my mind all night but it's there :)

• Adrienne

Adrienne 05/09/2013 2:44 p.m. #

Hey Cori,

Okay, you've probably heard me mention a few times through different posts and comments that I'm annoyingly organized. I've been that way as long as I can remember so my office is not cluttered. Nothing in my home, file cabinet, closet or storage area is cluttered.

I live in a small one bedroom condo so my home office is in my bedroom so I have limited space. I do have a filing cabinet and a folder for all my tax stuff. I also keep separate three ring binders for all my receipts, my business and miscellaneous stuff.

Great tips though for those that need that little extra push. It's hard to realize that everyone else is not like I am.

~Adrienne

Corina Ramos 05/09/2013 7:26 p.m. #

You remind me of the guy on the show The Odd Couple...you're the clean freak like my daughter calls me :).

I can totally understand you though. My office is organized and I have to put things back in their proper place before the day is over, otherwise I'll be thinking about it all night!

As far as the rest of the house goes only the rooms I use most like the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, those are mom-clean like my kids say :)

I used to tell them when they were little "I want your room mom-clean" and today they poke fun at me.

Thanks for stopping by and taking time out to drop a line :) Hope you had a great Thursday!

• Kevin Watts @Graduatingfromdebt

Kevin Watts @Graduatingfromdebt 05/09/2013 6:46 p.m. #

Having a clean and uncluttered office is essential in my job. If you are not organized and don't learn the systems well you will get fired in job.

• Anthony @ Thrifty Dad

Anthony @ Thrifty Dad 05/10/2013 9:59 a.m. #

Great tips! I really need to get my office in order. It's the one room we can't seem to keep clean. I've years of paperwork, so every time we attempt it, it just takes me so much time going through every single paper to find out what I can and can't keep. But even when we spend a few minutes to just tidy up, I can notice a real difference and can work with a much clearer head.

• Harleena Singh

Harleena Singh 05/11/2013 3:07 a.m. #

Hi Corina, great to see you here :)

Oh yes...spring IS in the air and what I love most is the awesome flowers that are all over. It surely is a reminder for cleaning up the ares where we work, besides our homes.

I cannot really work with clutter around me, and sometimes if I've not cleared up due to some rush or emergency, the next day just goes in cleaning the area before I start working. I guess that's one problem with being extra organized as you want to see everything IN place and anything going haywire simple irritates you till it's sorted out.

That's one reason I keep my work area very small and work on my laptop with a few necessary things around me. Rest everything else is well within their drawers or filed up, which if used is placed back again in order. I really don't like keeping things for later as they become never ending task that keep piling up then.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Happy Mother's Day weekend everyone :)