In Between Jobs? Use Your Skills to Work from Home

skills to work from home

Whether you have decided to work from home or if you’ve been the victim of down-sizing in your company there still has to be some kind of income streaming in while searching for your next job, right?

Folks start to panic at the thought of having no income while in between jobs. And I don’t blame them. There are bills to pay and the family’s got to eat so it’s completely understandable that someone in that situation would be frustrated.

But it doesn’t have to be that way my friends. Today’s post is about sharing ideas on how you can make money from home using your skills and introduce you to a couple of ladies who are making it happen for them.

Don’t Just Sit There, Use Your Talents To Make Money From Home

You can’t sit in front of the computer all day searching and applying for jobs. Instead, take advantage of the valuable time on your hands and use your talents to make money from home.

Here are some ideas you might want to consider. Aside from having skills to work in an office maybe you have a knack for sewing like Carla of My 1/2 Dozen Daily.

Carla is a stay-at-home "frugal mom" who sews unique and fun creations like cell phone cases, placemats, wallets, and table runners and lots more. She’s been sewing for over two years and is self-taught. She is extremely busy with her sewing but when she does have spare time she also blogs about personal finance and all the ways that she saves money.

Clients rave about her work and when people talk about your stuff, you’re just that good!

Can you believe she made these wallets from scratch?

carlas wallets

purple wallet

Making Women’s Accessories

No lady can go without accessories and Darling Accessories have taken it to another level with her one-of-a-kind custom designs. MaryAnn Stevenson, founder and creator of these awesome hair accessories is also a stay-at-home mom who uses her talents to make money from home. These custom hand-made accessories are made with clay, air-dried, buffered and hand painted with lots of love!

womens accessoriesaccessories

You can tell by the quality of their work these ladies are doing what they love. Who wouldn’t want that, right?

You can also make money from home by:

• Baking/Cooking for busy families who want a healthy meal but do not have time to prepare it. If you deliver, you can charge a delivery fee.
  • Providing concierge services like picking up groceries or running other errands for those who are without transportation.
  • Creating gift baskets for special occasions like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, even baskets for someone during a hospital stay.
  • Styling hair.  I know I would love for someone to straighten my hair, my arms get tired. There may be other ladies who feel that way too especially for special occasions or date night.

Fellas, I haven’t forgotten about you. There are also some things you can do while in between jobs. Such as:

• IT Support
  • Handyman Work
  • Man Cave Designer
  • Garage or Basement Organizer

Other Suggestions

You can also sign up to do freelance work or work as a call center agent.

The point I’m trying to make is there are plenty of things we can do to make money from home while we’re in between jobs.

Don’t let the stress of finding another job cloud your concentration. Take a moment and think about your skills and what you love to do. Like Carla and MaryAnn you can make it happen for you, too.

Over To You

Are you in between jobs? What are you doing to make money from home? Do any of these suggestions sound like something you’d like to pursue? Tell us all about it in the comments section below! As always, thanks for sharing.

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

AverageJoe 05/22/2013 6:29 a.m. #

When I was taking teaching classes I began writing at home. The first gigs didn't pay very well, but once I discovered ELance, I was making a fair amount of money every day.

Corina Ramos 05/22/2013 11:50 a.m. #

Lots of folks say great things about Elance. What I like about Elance is there are projects for all skill levels.

I'm glad Elance worked out for you too AverageJoe :) Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing how you made money from home. I hope it encourages others to try that site.

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 05/22/2013 9:54 a.m. #

Great ideas! Those wallets are too cute :) She is very talented.

Corina Ramos 05/22/2013 11:52 a.m. #

Aren't they cute! I love the table runners myself. I've got to hand it to these ladies though, I can't even imagine having this much talent :)

Thanks for stopping by and taking time drop us a line Mackenzie :)!

• Shannon @ THe Heavy Purse

Shannon @ THe Heavy Purse 05/22/2013 10:13 a.m. #

Wow - those are some talented ladies, Corina. Everyone has talents they can capitalize on during lean times and they may even discover their side hustle can be a full-time job for them too. You just never know if you don't try.

Corina Ramos 05/22/2013 11:56 a.m. #

They definitely have a gift don't they...

I agree with you. I think we are all blessed with a gift but we get our minds clouded with all the hub-bub around us it's hard to see it :)

I was just telling Mackenzie I can't see myself with this kind of talent and patience :)

Thanks for stopping Shannon. Hope you've been having a great week hon :)

DC @ Young Adult Money 05/22/2013 10:39 a.m. #

I am not in between jobs but I am very intrigued by making money from home, and have tried to do this through owning a blog as well as doing some Excel/Google Docs work on the side.

Corina Ramos 05/22/2013 12:20 p.m. #

It sounds like you're determined to be your own boss and work from home. I hope others are motivated by that and I wish you all the best DC!

Thanks for stopping by today :) Hope you're having a great week!

• Andrew

Andrew 05/22/2013 1:22 p.m. #

Nice post with some interesting ideas for a little extra income! Especially helpful in today's dreary economic climate.

Sicorra 05/22/2013 7:49 p.m. #

Extra income is always nice, isn't it :-)

krantcents 05/22/2013 1:27 p.m. #

My Mom used to keep herself busy by always making things. She would sell the things at an open air market on Saturdays into her 90s. It wasn't for the money, but more to feel useful.

Sicorra 05/22/2013 7:50 p.m. #

Very cool for your Mom to do that. Selling things at the open market is a wonderful idea. I've seen many people of all ages do that.

• Carla

Carla 05/22/2013 6:14 p.m. #

Thanks soo much for your kind words! :) My sewing is such a blessing to our family and it's very humbling that others like my creations enough to spend their hard earned money on them. :) I've been very blessed and love sewing... it's my creative outlet and allows me to share my talent with others, through selling to help my families income and through gifts, etc...

Thank-you again!! This made my day! :) Hugs!!

Sicorra 05/22/2013 7:52 p.m. #

Carla, you are welcome and thanks very much for stopping by! You are the perfect example of someone that has created her own business and turned it into something incredibly beautiful. I can see the love in your work with all the fine details. Hugs, & have a great week my friend :-)

• Deltra

Deltra 05/29/2013 8:01 a.m. #

Love this sewing style! Very good and bright ideas!