How to Discover Your True Passion

discover your true passion

Do you remember when you were young and you and your friends talked about what you wanted to be when you grew up?

What did you say?

And today, years later, are you where you wanted to be, or is it still just a childhood dream?

I remember as a teenager mentioning various ideas about what I wanted to do when I grew up. Unfortunately, many of the ideas were shot down by any adult within hearing range.

It is sad that many of us go through life with dreams and interests that we never truly follow up on and pursue because of the negative feedback we have encountered at some point.

Of course, that is definitely no way to live our lives!

Pursuing our dreams and discovering our passion is an important part of our self–discovery.

Once you discover your passion and begin to work with it, you will find that your life will change for the better. As you learn to block out the negative noise, and pursue and develop your passion, you will find yourself truly enjoying your life.

Discovering Your True Passion

Do you think that discovering your passion is difficult?

It was for me. Once I decided that it was time for me to figure out what my passion is, it took me several months of quiet meditation before I discovered it.

Each day I would lay quiet and still for approximately fifteen minutes.

I would close my eyes and practice breathing exercises that I learned in Yoga class and I would repeatedly ask myself what my passion was.

The interesting thing is that the answer didn't just suddenly jump out at me.

So I continued on, doing and learning new things. One day I was working on some new projects and I realized that I had finally found work that I truly enjoyed. Actually I enjoy it so much, that it doesn't even really feel like work.

How Can You Discover Your Passion?

First, ask yourself if you are happy doing what you are doing right now.

If not, then think about when you were young and the things you wanted to do.

If you had the opportunity to start something completely brand new tomorrow, what would that be?

If you can, spend ten or fifteen minutes each day by yourself, quietly thinking about your passion.

This may sound silly, but spending this quiet time by yourself everyday really is the key to self–discovery.

Once your quiet time is up, let your thoughts go. Move on with your day.

But be open to new things that you come across in your daily routine.

Whether you read something new or meet someone new, or perhaps attend a seminar. Be open to any new possibilities that might help you discover your true passion.

How Will I know When I Have Discovered My True Passion?

You will know you have discovered your true passion when things just seem to flow.

When you find yourself working away completely oblivious to what time it is.

When the only thing on your mind is what you are working on at that specific moment.

When you feel relaxed and happy because working on your passion fills you with so much joy, so much energy and so much excitement.

Have you discovered your true passion?

DC @ Young Adult Money 06/17/2013 6:53 a.m. #

You would think finding your passion would be easy enough, but it's surprisingly difficult! Especially as a young adult, I have had trouble honing in on one thing. I have a wide variety of interests, though, which seems to muddy the water. I know there are at least a few things that I am truly passionate about, but I still have to figure out how that plays into my career and long-term income.

Sicorra 06/17/2013 11:27 a.m. #

My first guess for you would be Excel and figuring out a way to make a full-time income as an Expert Excel Freelancer. But that is just my guess :-)
        The funny thing about discovering our passion is that it can change over time as well, and it doesn't really have to be just one thing.

Corina Ramos 06/17/2013 8:45 a.m. #

Your post really made me stop and think about my dreams as a young adult. I always wanted to run my own business but I didn't know what exactly, I just knew I wanted a "cool job" :).

Based on your mini self-test I passed :) so yes, I am truly living my passion now but it feels like it took forever to get here. :)

Hope you're off to a great start of the week my friend, talk soon!

Sicorra 06/17/2013 11:32 a.m. #

Congrats on living your true passion now Corina! Once it happens, it feels great, doesn't it?

It can be hard though when it feels like it takes forever to find it, right. But life just gets in the way sometimes. We work hard to bring in money to pay the bills and feed the family and that just seems to take priority over discovering our true passion. But there is nothing wrong with that either. I believe everything unfolds as it is meant to.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 06/17/2013 10:29 a.m. #

Great post, Sicorra. I feel fortunate that I discovered my passion at a young age and have been able to live it as an adult. But I have friends who have struggled to find their passion, but unlike you, they are not slowing down and giving themselves time to figure it out. They want to know RIGHT NOW, so they are putting intense pressure on themselves. Sometimes passions are obvious and other times they creep up on you and surprise you.

Sicorra 06/17/2013 11:35 a.m. #

I know your work is your passion. You can see it in everything that you say, which is wonderful. :-)

And you are exactly right Shannon, sometimes they do just surprise you, when you least expect it.

I was watching a Jeff Probst show the other day and one of the guests was a lawyer who discovered that his passion was art and sculpting. But his sculptures are made with Lego blocks and glue. He switched careers and now makes a sweet fortune building awesome things with Legos.

krantcents 06/17/2013 2:44 p.m. #

I love teaching! I am glad I entered it late i my career and have enough saved that I can handle the lower compensation.

Sicorra 06/17/2013 8:56 p.m. #

It is wonderful that you were able to pursue teaching as well, as you do sound like you enjoy it quite a bit.

• Joe @ StackingBenjamins

Joe @ StackingBenjamins 06/17/2013 4:14 p.m. #

When I was a kid I wanted to be the milkman (okay that one dates me) or a firefighter. While I'm neither of those, I still look longingly at those red trucks and have a soft spot for chocolate milk.

Sicorra 06/17/2013 8:58 p.m. #

I remember the milk man too. Those were the days. And how many little boys didn't want to be a firefighter with a big red truck to drive around in??

• Luke Roland

Luke Roland 06/22/2013 6:20 p.m. #

Sicorra, you provided some great ways to find your passion. I love what you said about thinking about what you wanted to do when you were young. I think so many people get bogged down by life that they lose their child like imagination to dream big dreams. Thanks for sharing!