Five Ways I’m Saving Money Working from Home

saving money working from home

If you ask me what I love most about working from home, I can go on and on about this subject until my voice gets hoarse or until you tell me to clam it up, LOL! In fact, I’ve given you 15 reasons why I love working from home.

Today I’d like to focus on one of those reasons which happen to be one of my all-time favorites, saving money by sharing the five ways I’m saving money working from home.

Let’s Get Right To It, Shall We

Fuel – With the cost of fuel nowadays this is the best perk yet. I used to fill up my car’s tank at least twice a week. My commute was about 28 miles from my house to the office and I used my car to run errands for the company, so yeah the gas would go quick.

Food – I did the math one day and I used to spend at least $150 a week on take out alone. This included stops on my way to work, lunch, a snack, because we worked across the street from the best BBQ place that had the best homemade chocolate and sock-it-to-me cakes, and take out for dinner at home for a family of six. When I put our receipts together for taxes purposes, I realized we spent approximately $1100 in a year on McDonald’s alone! That’s a lot of money.

Wardrobe – I don’t have to buy business casual clothes and the matching accessories anymore. You’d find me at the mall buying an outfit every week. Come on ladies, you know we can’t wear the same thing twice! And the shoes? They had to match the outfit of course, right ladies?  Now I’m more of a t-shirt and jeans kind of gal and instead of shopping at the mall, I’m at Old Navy taking advantage of their sales on denim.

Other Ways I’m Saving

Beauty Maintenance – Not that I don’t take care of my face, skin, and hair but I look for places to get the better value for my money now. Before this, I would just go to the nearest salon and paid whatever because I didn’t have time to shop around.

Daycare – When the kids were too little to be latch-key, my mom would watch them for me. Although she didn’t charge me and didn’t expect me to pay her, I would still give her something for her troubles. After all, she was watching four busy little ones and they were a handful.

And there you have it. Five easy ways I’m saving money. It may not seem like much on the surface but I have noticed some extra change in my pocket. Yes, I love working from home.

Over To You

So what are some ways you’re saving money now that you’re working from home? Why don’t you tell us all about it in the comments section below this post.

Sharing Is Caring

Spread the word about the perks of working from home and share this post with your family and friends. As always, thanks for sharing.

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 06/19/2013 5:20 a.m. #

These are definitely some things that I've thought about and considered. I wish that my work embraced work from home because I feel like our jobs could basically be done entirely from home. I trained people halfway across the world on account reconciliations, all through the phone and desktop share. Ironically I was at the office when I did this, not at home!

Corina Ramos 06/19/2013 12:45 p.m. #

It's kind of sad not all companies embrace telecommuting. From their point of view I can see how they would be concerned about productivity around the every day distractions. However, as an employee, I wanted to work from home so I made sure there were no distractions...

I could have done my job as Chat Manager from home too but my boss wouldn't have it either :(. I'm glad because I wouldn't be here now :)

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Hope you're having a great day DC.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 06/19/2013 10:44 a.m. #

I wish I could work from home, but at least I was able to move my office just a few minutes away, so I'm definitely saving money on gas. I stock the break room with my brand of coffee and tea, so that eliminates my need to stop at Starbucks on the way to the office too. :) I do my friends who can work from home greatly enjoy all the benefits you shares. I'd love to work in jeans!

Corina Ramos 06/19/2013 12:56 p.m. #

It sounds like you've got some money saving tips as well :) Those are great ideas, especially the Starbucks coffee :)

Yes I love wearing jeans every day but I miss playing dress up every now and then. My hair lives in a crazy bun or ponytail :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Shannon, hope all is well :)

krantcents 06/19/2013 10:53 a.m. #

Although I only work from home during the summer months, I see a lot of the benefits you mention. For me, the best part is I can work when I am productive which may mean early morning or late at night. The savings may be in utilities or just my time.

Corina Ramos 06/19/2013 1 p.m. #

The savings on utilities is awesome and your time is precious so yeah, those are biggies :). I've got teens in the house my utilities in the summer are high!:(

I like to work at night too when everyone has gone to sleep. Just me and my laptop and my snack of course :)

So glad you stopped by and shared your thoughts. Happy Wednesday!

• Jake @ Common Cents Wealth

Jake @ Common Cents Wealth 06/19/2013 12:10 p.m. #

I only work from home about once a month, but I have seen the benefits you described above. I think the daycare one probably would be the biggest benefit to working from home. I don't have any kids yet, so that benefit doesn't apply to me.

Corina Ramos 06/19/2013 1:05 p.m. #

Oh yeah daycare is expensive. In Houston the average daycare is about $125/head. I would have paid $500 a week. Instead I gave my mom $150 week...big time savings. My advice, take advantage of the grandmas and aunts that want to babysit :)

Appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts :) Happy Wednesday Jake!

• Bren

Bren 06/19/2013 1:30 p.m. #

These are some fabulous reasons to work from home Corina. I keep telling my hubs, I'm going to make it happen so I can stay home with Titan all day. Titan agreed to lick the envelopes for me :)

As you know, I'm serious about accomplishing this and would like to know, how is it your making your money? Are you selling, marketing, or recruiting, or you can't tell your secret cause you'd have to kill me. :)

Fab post my sista!

Corina Ramos 06/19/2013 7:58 p.m. #

I know exactly where you're coming from Bren. I did the same thing.

Well I'll tell you what if it weren't for my hubs job I would be working for one of those companies I sent you. As a matter of fact, I worked for Cloud 10/Transcom taking calls for Comcast customers.

And honestly, I've been at this for a year and I am just seeing some money come in and not a lot. It's through affiliate marketing mostly and I do some freelance work like data entry and sometimes do surveys if I can get around to it.

I also do resumes and cover letters and provide coaching sessions but that is just taking off too. I don't know where these folks who say you can make thousands in less than a year. I've been at it a year and well, let's just say I wouldn't make it on my own :) but I see forward progress so I'm not giving up any time soon.

I wish you the best my sista. You can do it and I'm here to help you out if you ever need me. Have you thought about a dog care business like Debbie? Just a thought...

• CarolB

CarolB 06/19/2013 6:28 p.m. #

Great points! I left corporate America ten years ago for unexpected reasons, and now I work mostly from home. Though my pay is less than what I could get if I did the whole office routine, I wouldn't trade working from home for the office. Been there, done that. Well, ok, maybe I would if it was a huge amount of money more!

But I have yet to make money on blogging. :( Guess I now need to figure that part out! I'd like to add to my "at-home" pay.

Corina Ramos 06/19/2013 8:08 p.m. #

I know all about that pay Carol :) and like you I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm doing something I love that's all mine and no one can take it away :)

I'm with you about making money on our blogs...let's stick together and figure it out together :) I often think about my old job but I just can't see myself going back. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :)

• David @my2centopinion

David @my2centopinion 06/20/2013 12:47 p.m. #

Lunch would be a big saver for me. I haven't been making the time to make a lunch before I leave the house and it can cost me about $5 per day which can really add up.

Corina Ramos 06/23/2013 11:38 a.m. #

I know what you mean David! Where I worked was in a high-end part of town so the restaurants were $10 a plate and up. The ladies I worked for were passed fast food joints like McDonald's and instead chose places like Chipotle, which I love!

It's hard not hitting that snooze button in the morning isn't it? I could have gotten up earlier to make my lunch too, heck some moms cooked and had it ready for the kids when they got home but not this mom :) Every minute of sleep was precious to me LOL :)

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your comments David, so nice to meet you!

• Christy Garrett

Christy Garrett 06/20/2013 10:09 p.m. #

Fuel was one of my biggest expenses when I was working, not to mention all of the wear and tear expenses that are added to your vehicle each time you drive to work.

Corina Ramos 06/23/2013 12:01 p.m. #

Hello Christy!

I can relate to those fuel charges girlfriend! They do add up. My car would fill up with $50 and I had to fill up twice a week.

Gettin' a headache just remembering LOL. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experiences with us!

• Elle @ ForHerByHer

Elle @ ForHerByHer 06/21/2013 11:01 a.m. #

I work from home 3 days a week and was astonished at how much I'm saving on food. I didn't realize until I started working from home just how much I was wasting on buying lunch every day. This actually motivated me to take my lunch to work (the other 2 days I go to the office).

Corina Ramos 06/23/2013 12:07 p.m. #

I was just telling David how much the food was on the part of town I worked at, it does add up, right?

A friend of mine I worked with took her lunch to work every day. She'd get teased about how frugal she was but she had the right idea all along :)

Appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us Elle! Nice to meet ya :)!

• Daisy @ Young Finances

Daisy @ Young Finances 06/24/2013 9:33 p.m. #

I used to save so much money when I worked from home. Although after having very little human interaction during the day, I'd go crazy on weekends with dinners out and coffees with friends, haha! I did find that my utility bill went up, too.

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 06/25/2013 1:03 p.m. #

My biggest obstacle if I ever did this full-time would be the childcare. The little ones are too much of a distraction and rightly so! Sometimes I get family members over to help out with life and date nights, but I don't think any of their schedules are such that I could work at home with the kids here, too.