Ready to Work from Home? Here Are 10 Careers to Consider

ready to work from home

I remember the first day after I quit my job. I was so excited. I got up early, made the kids breakfast and dropped off them at school. I drove by McDonald’s to get my large coke and headed home to start my new work from home life. I sat in front of my computer and just stared at the monitor and thought “okay, now what?”

Does that scene sound familiar to you? If you’ve been going back and forth with the idea about quitting your job but you’re not sure where to start looking for telecommuting jobs, well look no further my friend. If you’re ready to work from home, here are 10 careers to consider.

Customer Service

Customer service reps are the most popular work from home positions. Major companies like HP and Apple have telecommuting jobs available throughout the United States as well as internationally.

To qualify for this type of job you’ll need to have at least a high school diploma or GED and 6 months to 2 years customer service experience. You should have basic computer skills and be familiar with programs like Microsoft Word and Excel.

Online Tutor

If you love working with kids keep reading. As an online tutor you would be working with children in different age groups assisting them with homework, tutoring, or other school related projects. If you have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a particular subject matter and at least two years of work experience you may meet the requirements of some companies.

The first thing I would associate a transcriptionist career with was the medical field. Boy was I wrong about that. There is also a general transcriptionist who will transcribe things like meetings and a legal transcriptionist may transcribe legal depositions or other legal documents.

If you’re an excellent typist with speed and accuracy, have great listening skills, perhaps you should consider a career in this field.

If you’re bilingual or multilingual you may want to consider a work from home career as a translator. Translators can be used in a variety of instances such as translating in a court of law or on a conference call.

So if you’re fluent in Spanish, French, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian, or German you might want to consider this field.

Thanks to ever-evolving technology nurses can now enjoy the perks of working from home and say goodbye to long shifts.

There are three types of responsibilities a nurse can do from home. A triage nurse handles non-emergency situations through a series of questions and assessments. A home-care nurse provides medical attention to home-bound patients and a case manager is responsible for keeping track of a patient’s medical history.

Closed Caption Reporter

A closed caption reporter provides text for a televised broadcast. It can either be in real time as the program is aired or closed caption editing a pre-recorded show.

You have to have some serious typing skills as most companies require a typing speed from 200 to 280 words per minute and be familiar with several transcription methods.virtual assistant

Virtual Assistant

Ah yes, administrative assistants are no longer confined to a desk working 9 to 5. I love that song by the way. If you have clerical skills and a home office with equipment like a computer, printer, and fax machine you can say goodbye to the commute and work from home.

Medical Billing and Coding

Doctors depend on medical billing and coders to correctly bill insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid. After all this is how a doctor gets paid.

A coder provides the proper code for a procedure performed in a doctor’s office or hospital and the billing clerk will submit a claim to an insurance company or file a claim with Medicare or Medicaid.

If you don’t have experience but would like a career in this field there are vocational schools you can attend to get you certified in anywhere between 18 to 24 months.

Answering Service Clerk

Anytime you call a company or doctor’s office after hours you’ll likely get an answering service. A clerk will take a message and pass it along. Back in the day message were given over the phone and now they can be retrieved via email or text.

Technical Support

If you’re the type of person who loves working with computers consider a career in technical support. A tech support rep helps end users with troubleshooting issues, installing/updating software and other applications. Web hosting companies are always hiring.

Even Better News

More companies are now offering benefits such as medical and dental insurance to their employees who work from home. Another great sign that a telecommuting job isn’t just a job, it’s a career.

Over To You

If you had the chance to work from home what career would you choose? What industry would you like to see embrace working from home? Let’s chat about it. Fill out the comments below.

Please share this post with anyone you know who is looking for a work from home career. As always, thank you for sharing.

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

DC @ Young Adult Money 07/03/2013 5:07 a.m. #

These are some great suggestions! I would love to work from home full-time, and would add owning a blog or website that generates advertising revenue would be a good "job" but at the same time it would be good to have a regular hourly work from home job to give you some more stable income.

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 9:56 a.m. #

I would have included blogging but folks want the security of knowing they'll be receiving a steady paycheck and blogging takes time to get the cash flowing unless you're an overnight success which is the dream of many :).

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a great day DC!

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 6:42 a.m. #

Thanks so much for letting me shares these work from home careers. There is still lots of skeptism about the types of jobs one can find. The mindset is it's only telemarketing and data entry jobs but clearly times have changed :).

Have a great day Sicorra!

Sicorra 07/03/2013 10:23 a.m. #

Corina, I am always happy to publish your work, my friend! You write amazing blog posts that are extremely helpful for anyone that is looking to make more money. And this post offers people a ton of valuable information. Thank you so very much and have a wonderful day. I'll catch up with you later on :-)

• Bren

Bren 07/03/2013 7:18 a.m. #

These are all fabulous ideas Corina! I would love to be a Virtual Assistant. It's what I'm familiar with and good out, however my current employer frowns on it as I'm the one that keeps all 4 locations running smoothing and keeps him in line. So, where do we find these Virtual Assistant jobs?

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 10:05 a.m. #

Hey Bren,

I would keep talking to your boss about working from home. Perhaps working part of your shift from in the middle. I know how that is boss at AT&T was like that but I think it's because we spoil our bosses. :)

I would recommend Virtual Office Temps . I've seen their jobs and the pay is good.

Assistant Match is another: for virtual assistant jobs.

Good luck my sister and let me know how I can help!

• Bren

Bren 07/03/2013 10:56 a.m. #

That's funny Corina! I was just looking at that first site! Thanks bunches! Muwah!

• Pauline

Pauline 07/03/2013 9:29 a.m. #

I have been a tutor and a translators, now I love blogging and it covers the bills, but it takes time so you can't just leave your job and be a blogger unless you have some money saved up.

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 12:42 p.m. #

That's why I didn't include Blogging as a career. It's more of a business and one that takes time to build and turn it into a money maker.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Pauline :)Hope you're having a great day!

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 07/03/2013 10 a.m. #

These are some great options to look at Corina. My wife and I run our own business from home and love the freedom it gives us. I believe working from home is more possible to day than ever, you just have to be creative and find something you can do well.

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 12:46 p.m. #

I hear ya John! I'm living the dream myself but there are times (like when I'm paying bills ) when I wish I had a career and steady paycheck to help out. :)

Appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Hope you're having a great day!

• Harleena Singh

Harleena Singh 07/03/2013 10:40 a.m. #

Hi Corina, and good to see you are Sicorra's blog :)

I think you mentioned all the possible career options ever possible for those who are wanting to work from home.

I for one was always into writing, so freelance writing is what I chose as that too works wonders for those who have a flair for words. And mostly, I see bloggers are as good as writers too and they just get better with more writing.

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead, both of you :)

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 12:53 p.m. #

Hello Harleena :)

Freelance writing is a great career. You're in total control of your projects and best of all your work schedule. And yes ma'am you do have a flare for writing I might add :)

I love that more industries are open to the idea of allowing their employee to telecommute. It gives us more options to choose from.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts Harleena. Hope you're having a great day my friend!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 07/03/2013 11:27 a.m. #

Great list, Corina. There are getting to be more and more jobs that can do from home. It's great that more businesses are starting to offer benefits to these employees too. Have a happy 4th of July! :)

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 12:57 p.m. #

Oh yes, it was about time too :) And the pay is getting better. It used to be that companies would start out at the minimum and I could see why...but they still have to consider the cost of living so it's awesome for us :)

God yes the jobs are getting better. Years ago all there was were sales, data entry, and telemarketing wonder it wasn't embraced but it's changed and for the better too.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts Shannon! Happy Wednesday and have a great 4th of July as well! :)

• Cat Alford @ Budget Blonde

Cat Alford @ Budget Blonde 07/03/2013 1:54 p.m. #

Awesome list! I am going 100% freelance writer starting in January, and I'm so excited!

Corina Ramos 07/03/2013 6:59 p.m. #

You go girl! We wish you all the best with that! You're going to love working from home! Have a great night :)!

• Christy Garrett

Christy Garrett 07/03/2013 10:01 p.m. #

This is an excellent list of work from home jobs. Blogging is another way that you can make money; however, it isn't instant income. You can also build your own business and offer services such as consulting or coaching others. Thank you for sharing.

Corina Ramos 07/05/2013 8:48 a.m. #

Hi Christy,

You're right blogging can be great home-based business. You also hit it right on when you said it isn't instant takes time but so worth it.

These types of careers I listed offers a steady paycheck and benefits giving folks that sense of security to know there is something coming in every month.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Happy Friday!

• CF

CF 07/03/2013 11:11 p.m. #

If I worked from home, I'd probably do what I'm doing now in the office - software development. I do occasionally work from how now, maybe once or twice a month. It's nice, but I like the social aspect of work.

Corina Ramos 07/05/2013 8:53 a.m. #

That's the only thing I miss about working from home. I met some great ladies and we became great friends.

A lot of us aren't working there anymore but we meet every other month over dinner to catch up. Then there's social media where we can chat daily. But you're right I do miss the lunch dates :).

So glad you stopped by and shared your thoughts. Have a great day.

• Tara

Tara 07/05/2013 7:44 a.m. #

Don't forget TV transcription! My fiancee works in television in the post-production side and all those reality TV shows need folks to transcribe the hours and hours of footage they film. I actually got some side work transcribing for his old company's show from home (made $15/hr). Just search online for TV transcription companies. Beware though, that many of these take place in NY so be prepared to know that you'll have to file a return in NY to get your money back from your home state.

Sicorra 07/06/2013 6:25 p.m. #

Tara, Thanks for adding that. I would have never thought of that, but it sounds like it could be a fun job. I wonder how fast they expect the person to be able to type?

Corina Ramos 07/07/2013 3:24 p.m. #

Hey Tara!

Thanks so much for this tip! I'm with does sound like a great job and $15/hr is not bad.

The typing speed has me curious too. I'm already making a note to look into this.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing this with us! Have a great new week.

• Tara @ Streets Ahead Living

Tara @ Streets Ahead Living 07/31/2013 6:50 p.m. #

So what they usually expect is around 60 wpm and above, with little to no mistakes if at 60 wpm. Generally, most transcribing doesn't pay you per hour, but per footage that you can get done. So sometimes, with reality TV, if there is some length of footage with not a lot of talking, you can get a tape done faster. Definitely look into it. Search around on Google to see if you can even find something local.

• Mayura

Mayura 07/07/2013 5:36 a.m. #

Hi Corina,

Now those who quit their jobs and looking for working from home can relate very well with this post :)

Sometimes people just think it's pretty easy to go online and find a job to cover up their monthly expenses. Well, it's a battle until you settle with what you want.

Nursing? Are you serious? :O Gosh... I've never seen opportunities for nursing, but lot of VAs, Tutors etc. That'd be awesome for those who retired as nurses too, no? :) Cool!

My choice would be Technical Support ;) Well, I am now too. But I find more freedom by doing it myself. However it's risky ;)

Thanks for the interesting post and always finding something new in 'em Corina ;)

You both have a GREAT Sunday, Corina and Sicorra :)

Corina Ramos 07/07/2013 3:43 p.m. #

Yes I thought you would be drawn to technical support're a whiz at what you do!

I had the same reaction to nursing too but they can enjoy working from home just as much as a customer service rep! :) Just goes to show working from home has come a long way, right?

The great things about these types of jobs is the security unlike blogging or freelance writing that has its risks...

Thanks for those kind words and I hope you're having a great Sunday as well :)

• Lisa

Lisa 07/07/2013 6:24 a.m. #

Wow Corina, I was surprised to see nursing on this list. It's amazing how many jobs now can be done from home. Many of the typing type jobs did not surprise me but the nursing sure did. I will have to pass this info along to many nurses I know. Thanks Corina!

Corina Ramos 07/07/2013 3:47 p.m. #

I was just Mayura nursing took me by surprise too but yep they can work from home too.

I have an aunt who has been a pediatric nurse for as long as I can remember and I always think of her. But she loves working hands on with the kiddos so she's still loving her job after all those years.

Yes, please share it with them. UnitedHealth Group is always looking for RN's to telecommute for responsibilities like case management.

Hope you're having a great Sunday!

• Curt

Curt 07/09/2013 8:22 p.m. #

Hi Corina

Great list of ideas for working at home. I previously owned my own business until the home building world came crashing down. Currently working in a "real job" and I feel trapped with no freedom. My goal is once again to find a path to owning my own business and being in control of my life again.

Best wishes!