Summertime Money Saving Ideas for Everyone #FrugalFriday

summertime money saving ideas

Its funny how we look forward to summer for so many months and then shortly after it begins we find ourselves struggling to find ways to enjoy the nice weather, especially if we are living on a tight budget. And those with children may find it even more difficult to find fun things to keep their kids happy and busy, especially if they are working hard to live a frugal lifestyle. If you are sitting their nodding yes, here are some fun summertime money saving things you may enjoy doing, with or without kids.

1. Find free events around town. Sometimes there are free events taking place downtown or in the town square. If your kids are looking for something fun and free to do, take them to the library for story time.
  2. Invite friends and neighbors over for a potluck BBQ.
  3. Bargain shop for kids summer clothes, toys, and other outdoor products for your home, at liquidation stores.
  4. Have a few friends over one night and go camping in your own backyard. As a young kid this was my favorite way to camp.
  5. Cash in your air miles and take a short vacation.
  6. Take the train, walk or ride your bike, instead of driving everywhere. You will still get to where you need to go, but you will also enjoy the trip more.
  7. Teach your kids how to make homemade popsicles and fudgesicles.
  8. Spend one afternoon a week working on a fun family project.
  9. Instead of spending money on activities, choose an organization to do volunteer work at, as a family, or on your own.
  10. Gather several friends or family members in your kitchen and hold your own Top Chef Competition.
  11. Host a Friday night make your own pizza party. Get 6 inch pizza shells and chop up a bunch of toppings, such as cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, ham, bacon, pineapple, etc. and have everyone sit around the table and make their own pizzas. As each one is ready, pop it in the oven for 10 minutes or so, till ready.
  12. Spend a few hours each day working on a large family type puzzle together. It is amazing how quickly time flies when you are determined to finish a puzzle.
  13. Host an in-house poker tournament on Friday night with other couples or a few of your buddies.
  14. Find some local tennis courts that are free or cheap to rent and invite 3 friends to play tennis one afternoon.
  15. Bake cupcakes and invite some of your kid’s friends over one afternoon for a cupcake decorating party.

There are so many fun things you and your friends and family can do without spending heaps of cash. With a bit of creativity and organization you can enjoy any of these ideas, and along the way, I’m sure you will come up with plenty more of your own ideas.

Have fun this summer!

DC @ Young Adult Money 07/05/2013 6:23 a.m. #

These are some awesome ideas, especially for families. There are many things I do to save money. Since buying a house I like to work on the yard and make plans for new landscaping (though the actual landscaping part can get pricey!). I also like to read, use the tennis courts across the street, or go to the beach.

Sicorra 07/05/2013 12:05 p.m. #

Playing tennis and heading to the beach are wonderful inexpensive things to do in the summer, for sure. I wish we had a nice beach close by as well.

Corina Ramos 07/05/2013 9 a.m. #

These are great ideas Sicorra! I like the idea of a potluck BBQ and I would even join in on the cupcake decorating party :)

One summer when the kids were younger I got each of them a posterboard (they're about .30 cents) to make a collage. I give them old magazines and they cut out their favorite things, places, people, sayings and glued them on the posterboard. It was a lot of fun and I got a chance to learn more about what they liked.

Thanks for sharing these ideas...they are great for kids of any age, I know my teens would enjoy these too. :)

Sicorra 07/05/2013 12:06 p.m. #

I love that idea of a collage!! Did you keep their boards? So many people suggest that people of all ages make boards like that (hence Pinterest) with things they like. Some call them dream boards.

And cupcakes....YUM!!!

krantcents 07/05/2013 9:25 a.m. #

We used (and still) to vacation with friends. We could share a house on the beach and food too. Our children played together and everyone enjoyed those years. We planned a reunion since our children are grown, but it fell through for this summer.

Sicorra 07/05/2013 12:10 p.m. #

Sorry to hear your reunion fell through. I use to love family reunions when I was a teenager.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 07/05/2013 11:08 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra! There are lots of fun things to do on a budget - you just have to get creative! Even living in LA where you can certainly find tons of things to do that cost a small fortunate - there are also lots of things to do for free or at very low-cost too. The girls love making popsicles (they possibly love eating them a bit more!) and I've been hosting a lot of impromptu slumber parties lately. Great fun for them, but Monday morning when I was making pancakes for a house full of girls before heading off to work, I did momentarily wonder if I had lost my mind. :) Have a great weekend!

Sicorra 07/05/2013 12:13 p.m. #

Slumber parties are so much fun!! Do you let them stay for the whole weekend? I would send them home on Sunday night LOL.

Making popsicles is always fun too, and very simple. Even my husband remembers making them as a kid.