Its funny how we look forward to summer for so many months and then shortly after it begins we find ourselves struggling to find ways to enjoy the nice weather, especially if we are living on a tight budget. And those with children may find it even more difficult to find fun things to keep their kids happy and busy, especially if they are working hard to live a frugal lifestyle. If you are sitting their nodding yes, here are some fun summertime money saving things you may enjoy doing, with or without kids.
- Find free events around town. Sometimes there are free events taking place downtown or in the town square. If your kids are looking for something fun and free to do, take them to the library for story time.
- Invite friends and neighbors over for a potluck BBQ.
- Bargain shop for kids summer clothes, toys, and other outdoor products for your home, at liquidation stores.
- Have a few friends over one night and go camping in your own backyard. As a young kid this was my favorite way to camp.
- Cash in your air miles and take a short vacation.
- Take the train, walk or ride your bike, instead of driving everywhere. You will still get to where you need to go, but you will also enjoy the trip more.
- Teach your kids how to make homemade popsicles and fudgesicles.
- Spend one afternoon a week working on a fun family project.
- Instead of spending money on activities, choose an organization to do volunteer work at, as a family, or on your own.
- Gather several friends or family members in your kitchen and hold your own Top Chef Competition.
- Host a Friday night make your own pizza party. Get 6 inch pizza shells and chop up a bunch of toppings, such as cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, ham, bacon, pineapple, etc. and have everyone sit around the table and make their own pizzas. As each one is ready, pop it in the oven for 10 minutes or so, till ready.
- Spend a few hours each day working on a large family type puzzle together. It is amazing how quickly time flies when you are determined to finish a puzzle.
- Host an in-house poker tournament on Friday night with other couples or a few of your buddies.
- Find some local tennis courts that are free or cheap to rent and invite 3 friends to play tennis one afternoon.
- Bake cupcakes and invite some of your kid’s friends over one afternoon for a cupcake decorating party.
There are so many fun things you and your friends and family can do without spending heaps of cash. With a bit of creativity and organization you can enjoy any of these ideas, and along the way, I’m sure you will come up with plenty more of your own ideas.
Have fun this summer!