Stop Texting and Start Driving

stop texting and start driving

Why does their need to be a law against distracted driving to force people to stop texting and start driving? And once it becomes a law with associated fines, way too many people continue to ignore it. Even though they already know that it only takes a split second to lose control of their vehicle. Do they think they are invincible? Do they think it will never happen to them?

The saddest part is, just like drunk drivers, it is never the person at fault that gets hurt. Nine times out of ten it is some innocent person(s) that gets injured or killed because another driver felt that the messages on their cell phone just couldn’t wait until they got home, or at least had time to pull off to the side of the road and stop their vehicle.

The thing is distracted driving isn’t just about texting and driving.

The distraction can be anything that grabs your attention, even for just a few seconds. It could be looking at a map. Or trying to shave, or put your makeup on, while you drive. It could be when you are looking at the passenger beside you, or your kids in the back seat, instead of looking at the road in front of you.

And you can always tell when you’re driving behind or beside a distracted driver too. They tend to drive slower when they are talking on their cell phone. And they tend to weave in and out of their lane when they are trying to text because their hands are not on their steering wheel.

And everyone who does it has an excuse, such as I’m a great driver, and I’m totally in control.

I remember reading a story in the newspaper a few years ago about a guy that had lost his girlfriend in an accident. She was driving and texting at the same time and she crashed her vehicle and died at the scene. Can you guess who she was texting with?

The boyfriend felt it was his fault because he was the one that she was texting with. And when she took a few extra minutes to reply back to him, he kept badgering her for being too slow to respond. The last text he received from her said “I love you!”. Then the messages stopped even though he kept trying to contact her. About 30 minutes later the police called him.

Fines for distracted driving are in place across Canada with the lowest fine being $100 and the highest being $400. Some provinces also issue demerits as high as 4 points on top of the fine.

Even though statistics show that distracted drivers are 3 times more likely to be in a crash than attentive drivers, 75% of Canadians admit to driving while distracted at some point.

And I can’t even imagine how much a person’s car insurance would increase if they were in an accident and it was due to distracted driving.

How many more people have to die before people stop texting and start focusing on their driving?

DC @ Young Adult Money 08/02/2013 5:09 a.m. #

I think one thing that people need to realize is that people of ALL ages text and drive. While it may be more likely for younger people to do it, we really need to make sure EVERYONE stops.

Sicorra 08/02/2013 10:01 a.m. #

I completely agree! Just like alcohol, it is not something that just young people do. I see people of all ages texting or talking while driving. No matter who it is or what age they scares me. I feel like carrying a sign to hold up in their face when they drive by buy they probably wouldn't notice anyways....

• Insurance Hunter

Insurance Hunter 08/12/2013 7:48 a.m. #

You bring up a great point that often gets overlooked. Much of the focus is on teens that text and drive. But, it really is an issue that exists with all drivers, regardless of age. Thank you for bringing this point up!

krantcents 08/02/2013 9:23 a.m. #

Too many drivers are distracted while driving! It may be the passenger, radio, texting, cell phone or eating, but it needs to stop. I am starting to notice people trying to text while walking which seems to be almost as dangerous as driving.

Sicorra 08/02/2013 10:04 a.m. #

Texting while walking really upsets me. I was driving through a parking lot yesterday and a man was walking towards the store and texting. He didn't have a clue that there were cars trying to get through the parking lot. Makes me so angry!

• MG

MG 08/02/2013 12:34 p.m. #

In Florida it's illegal to text and drive. Not sure what the fine is. I do know that you can text at stop lights, but as soon as the light turns green, you need to stop. I don't text and drive, but I do change songs on my phone while at stop lights.

Sicorra 08/02/2013 4:53 p.m. #

It is interesting how the laws are different in each state for something so important. For a long time it was like that in Canada too. Some provinces had a law and some didn't. But now they all do. I can see it being okay at stop light. I mean many of us have grown up with having radios in our vehicles and we managed them fine without being distracted. But when people are focused on a text or a talk on their cell phone they lose their focus on what is in front of them.

Corina Ramos 08/02/2013 4:25 p.m. #

It's too bad we don't have a law like that in Texas. Our Govenor says that is micro-managing the citizens so he didn't pass the bill...hello we need that law! Girl we have idiots always texting and driving.

Marisa will blow up my phone if I don't reply to her. When I get to a light I call her and first gripe at her for all the texts. She now knows I don't text and drive. :)

The only time it's illegal to text and drive in Texas is when we're in a school zone but even then I've seen people texting away. Ugh.

I think states should start with hefty fines and implement the three strike rule. Third time, you loose your license to drive and that's it.

Hope folks read and share and if they are texting and driving that they stop before something terrible happens.

Hope you're having a great day! Catch up with you soon!

Sicorra 08/02/2013 4:58 p.m. #

I see what he means, but the sad truth is that most people won't stop until it is a law, and even then, only some stop doing it.

I agree. I think the fines everywhere for distracted driving need to be increased to make a point. It is unfortunate that it has to be dealt with that way but people just do not want to stop doing it.

When I am a passenger there are many times that I would love to take a pic of the person in the car beside me texting and then email it to the police along with their drivers licence.

Thanks for stopping by Corina! Hope your weekend goes well.

• Insurance Hunter

Insurance Hunter 08/22/2013 8:19 a.m. #

I agree Corina! Fines definitely need to be increased to get the message across. Here in Ontario, the fine is $155 for getting caught text and driving. Increasing the fines and using your idea of a three strike rule is a great way to make people think twice before they use their phone while driving.

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies 08/03/2013 12:39 p.m. #

Great post. I know that when my teen starts driving she will not be allowed to use her phone at all while driving.

Sicorra 08/04/2013 5:42 p.m. #

That is a very good plan Christy to set good habits right from the start so that hopefully you do not need to worry about it later on.

• Tara @ Streets Ahead Living

Tara @ Streets Ahead Living 08/04/2013 8:22 a.m. #

A bus driver in a NJ town close to NYC was texting and crashed, killing a toddler. It's ridiculous how prevalent this is.

Sicorra 08/04/2013 5:43 p.m. #

That is so sad! It scares me even more when I see someone driving a large vehicle like a bus or a even a large gravel truck or transport truck and they are trying to steer and text.

• SuburbanFinance

SuburbanFinance 08/04/2013 10:25 p.m. #

Great post! Texting while driving will lead to accidents on the road. You can reply the one who's texting on you at home and focus yourself while driving.

Sicorra 08/08/2013 4:01 p.m. #

The unfortunate part is that many just can't seem to wait until they get home. Texting just seems to bring on a sense of urgency.

• debtfreeoneday

debtfreeoneday 08/05/2013 7:34 a.m. #

Great post. It's not only our own safety we should worry about on the roads but that of other peoples too. I know someone who hit a person and killed them because he was on his mobile phone. He's facing years in jail as well as having to live with the consequences.

Sicorra 08/08/2013 4:02 p.m. #

That is a very sad episode but I am glad that they are doing more than just applying a few points or fining people.

• Rita P @ Digital Spikes

Rita P @ Digital Spikes 08/07/2013 3:51 a.m. #

People mostly youngsters feel it would be fun to text and drive which is a major distraction. What they do not realize is they are playing with their own life sometimes with other innocent people's life too. Most of the accidents are due to carelessness while driving which can lead to major accidents

Sicorra 08/08/2013 4:04 p.m. #

Careless driving is huge. It can be related to cell phones but also to other things that leads the driver to not pay attention to their driving.