Getting Your Ducks in a Row Before Working from Home

getting your ducks in a row before working from homeWhen I started working from home there wasn’t good planning on my part. The decision had already been made but the day it happened it was based on pure impulse.

I learned the hard way how important it is to have a plan before you start working from home. Today, I thought I would share some things you need to get together so there’s a smooth transition to your new work from home life. I put this post together to help you get your ducks in a row before working from home.

Finances

If you ask Sicorra, she would probably advise to have at least two to three months of income in a savings that can cover expenses while you find a work-from-home job. This certainly can keep you stress-free while something permanent comes through. And you can take your time selecting a job you would be happy doing instead of taking one because you have to.

Children and Pets

One of the requirements for working from home is to have a private work space. You can’t sound like a professional representative if you have the kiddos going “mom, mom, mom” while patting you on the leg to get your attention or if the dog is barking at the cars as they pass by.

Quick story: One night during my training with Cloud 10, my kids were in the kitchen grabbing snacks. At that time, I still hadn’t had my private work space setup so I was working where the family would hang out.

Ian and Adrian decided to get into a “discussion” about something when I yelled out “what are you two arguing about now” and guess who didn’t have her mute button on?? Good thing it was during my break and no one was online - only the trainer and a couple other people. True story and okay not so quick, LOL.

Routine

So that your day runs smoothly, you should consider making a daily routine. Maintaining a work-life balance takes good time management skills and the ability to multitask. And when you add a schedule to the mix, it helps keep all the balls in the air so to speak. You still have to be ready for those unexpected occurrences but when you have a routine down you can make a quick transition without getting off track from your normal schedule.

It’s also a good idea to develop a job search routine to keep track of what jobs you’ve applied for, interview appointments, and recruiter names. Can you imagine the embarrassment if you greeted the recruiter by the wrong name?

Home Office

While you’re submitting resumes and before you commit to taking a job, make sure your home-office or work area has the latest equipment and software. The good thing is most job descriptions will include PC and Office requirements.

Over To You

What other preparations should we make before we start working from home? Fill out the comment section below and let’s get this conversation going!

I would also appreciate it if you would share the love and pass this post along in your social media circles!

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

• John S @ Frugal Rules

John S @ Frugal Rules 08/07/2013 7:13 a.m. #

These are all great tips! Thankfully my wife had been working from home for several years before I took the plunge last year, which helped mitigate issues. I can't stress enough though being prepared financially.

Corina Ramos 08/07/2013 2:47 p.m. #

Hi John!

I'm glad you like the post!

I'm with you on the importance of financial planning...I got lucky my hubby was working too but when he got hurt, times got tough...gotta be prepared for anything, right?

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Happy Wednesday!

krantcents 08/07/2013 10:23 a.m. #

I think the most important part is developing a routine in the same way you have when you went to work outside of home. Some people can work in pajamas and others need to dress up. Whatever routine works!

Corina Ramos 08/07/2013 2:53 p.m. #

I've got to get dressed. I'm in jeans and a nice shirt but I've got make-up on and my hair did :).

I've worked in my PJ's and don't feel as productive working like that. I also try to work in my office. I love working in my bedroom but I get too comfortable and get sleepy :). Plus, I don't get as much done. LOL.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts krantcents! Happy Wednesday!

• Mark from PersonalFinancely.com

Mark from PersonalFinancely.com 08/07/2013 10:50 a.m. #

I for sure agree with having a few months of savings (or more) saved up before making the jump.

When I made the jump years ago I ended up having to get a part time job because I burned through my savings too quick after a few slow months. The more the better in your safety savings account.

Corina Ramos 08/07/2013 3:04 p.m. #

Hi Mark!

Oh man, I remember those tough times too. That was the hardest lesson to learn but the best thing that came out of it was knowing if we made it through that, we can handle anything.

Thank for stopping by and sharing your experience Mark! Happy Wednesday!

• Amy

Amy 08/07/2013 5:24 p.m. #

Brilliant post, definitely going to print this off. I am going to eventually be working from home, building up some things part time at the moment while working part time.

It's hard when to know when to take that leap. I am going to try and build up enough money to cover my current expensive for either 6 months - 1 year and then I think I would feel a lot more comfortable. I am getting very impatient though!

Corina Ramos 08/07/2013 10:48 p.m. #

Hi Amy!

Girl there's always gonna be a reason for us not to do it.And the reasons why not to do it seem to pop in more frequently and more easily in our minds than reasons for us to take that leap, right?

It sounds like you have a plan and I'm wishin' you all the best with your new work from home life! I know all about that impatience...that's what made me leap before I was ready.

Make a goal. Say..."I want to save $5,000." Once you get there, go for it. Otherwise if you say, "I want to save money" there's no set amount and you'll keep on chasing your dream. (it's late, did i make sense LOL)

Thank you so much for stopping by and I'm so glad you enjoyed it :).

• Anthony @ Thrifty Dad

Anthony @ Thrifty Dad 08/08/2013 7:41 a.m. #

Nice post! I completely agree you with the need to set up a routine. I know people who get dressed up, just as if they were going to work. It puts them in that mindset. My wife has been working from home for several years now and the one thing that was fundamental to her success was reaching out to contacts from previous jobs to inform them and get feelers out there, before she set foot on her own. That allowed her to work with some of her previous clients, until word of mouth got out, that she was awesome :)

Corina Ramos 08/08/2013 4:30 p.m. #

Hi Anthony!

Aw, it's so cool to see you support your wife, that's another reason for her success too :).

I can't work in my PJ's...it's too comfortable and for me personally, I don't feel productive. I'm in jeans and a t-shirt but I'm presentable LOL :).

It sounds like your wife made some great moves before working from home....I hope folks read your comment so they can see what planning can do.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing! Happy Thursday :)

• Rita P @ Digital Spikes

Rita P @ Digital Spikes 08/08/2013 8:59 a.m. #

Before you quit your job you must have good part time income by working extra hours from home, Once you have the confidence and money starts flowing in via your extra efforts (part time work) then you call off your job and work from home. This way you will have confidence and motivation as well income to support to you

Corina Ramos 08/08/2013 5:28 p.m. #

Hi Rita!

That is some great advice right there girlfriend! I had to learn the hard way so I hope folks will keep this in mind before the take the leap. :)

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! It was great to meet you Rita :)!

• CarolB

CarolB 08/08/2013 9:08 a.m. #

Hey Ladies, great post! Having been working from home for a few years, I can agree with everything you say. I began this journey by default - working from home wasn't in my plans but life's way of throwing you curve balls landed me here. It's working out - no pun intended - but it's had it's share of bumps, like having to re-invent myself as my prior career couldn't really be an "at home" type of job.

Right now, I'd have to say the "Children and Pets" piece is my biggest issue. Maybe that's because it's summer and they are home! My discipline is pretty good when they are in school, but this summer is killing me! My productivity is way off. But only three more weeks until school ... I'll be the one skipping happily to the bus stop!

Corina Ramos 08/08/2013 5:40 p.m. #

Hi Carol!

Girl you have me smiling from ear to ear. You should see my kid's faces when I mention those three beautiful words...back to school :).

The summer months are hard for me too. My kids are teens now but they still act like they're 5 sometimes and need the same attention, it's crazy LOL.

I can't wait for them to get back to school. I can get work done and lose weight since I don't cook or eat as much when I'm here alone. LOL. :)

My work from home life came lightening fast for me too but I wouldn't have had it any other way :) Thanks for stopping by!

• Sylviane Nuccio

Sylviane Nuccio 08/08/2013 9:39 a.m. #

Hi Corina,

Nice to see you here on a guest post talking about what you do best and know best.

It is very important to have everything ready before you start with an online based business, because it requires more discipline, planning and efforts in a lot of cases.

I haven't seen you in a while, so I'm glad I just saw you this morning on Adrienne's post and was reminded of you and found this guest post.

Great job!

Corina Ramos 08/08/2013 5:49 p.m. #

Hi Sylviane!

Yes I've been offline this week getting ready for the new school year with doctor's appointments. This weekend I tackle shopping with my daughter...what fun :).

Oh yes, I am the queen of unexpected things and I've experienced both ends of the stick when there's planning and when there isn't LOL. I tell Sicorra I should pitch a reality show LOL.

Thanks for much for thinking of me my friend. I hope you've had a great week and ready for a relaxing weekend :)! It was great seeing you here too.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 08/08/2013 11:59 a.m. #

Having a financial cushion is so important. While I don't work from my home, my income still fluctuates and having the money saved to tide me through tough times keeps me sane. And more focused on my business, rather than worrying about paying my bills. I sometimes struggle to turn work off so a routine is helpful, otherwise it's really easy to let work consume you! Great tips, Corina!

Corina Ramos 08/08/2013 6:04 p.m. #

Hi Shannon,

Oh yes, knowing there's a financial cushion definitely makes it easier to focus on work or a business.

I made plenty of mistakes and it's taken me years to recover. That's why I'm like crazy in the middle of the road jumping up and down, waving my arms so folks can stop and plan. I wouldn't want that kind of stress on anyone.

I have a routine but I still have my laptop with me at night. It's been my one challenge. I'm trying to catch up but I've been saying that for months now :).

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us today :). Hope you've had a great week!

• Jim Lloyd Espiritu

Jim Lloyd Espiritu 08/08/2013 11:49 p.m. #

These tips are awesome! I am starting to work at home as well I have to admit that I did not plan it like the way you outlined. Although I already have a nice setup in my house I still need to schedule my routine for me to have work-life balance while I am working at home. Again, Thanks!

• Barry Wells

Barry Wells 08/09/2013 6:27 a.m. #

Hi Corina,

Thanks for sharing the tips. It is so important to have a stash of cash ready to cover your bills etc before we start. Without we become somewhat desperate when those bills roll in...

I work from home and can so relate to having some quiet time to focus on work. At the moment I work from my bedroom but when my son moves out I'll be using his bedroom as my office and the rules will change then.

When the doors closed I'm working. I try to implement that rule now but being a bedroom makes it difficult as my wife has to get ready etc.

I do have a routine that I try to stick to: Up in the morning and a 4 mile push in my chair, gives me time to focus on the day ahead and helps fitness. Get back, shower, tea, food, tea, start work, tea.

Work through my list for the day and make a new list for the following day...

Plans are so important and sticking to them is a must. It's so easy to get distracted at home and put us off track so we need to eliminate as many distractions as possible.

Thanks Corina. Enjoy your weekend,
      Barry

• Daisy @ Add Vodka

Daisy @ Add Vodka 08/11/2013 4:38 p.m. #

Working from home is definitely a dream for most, but not one that I share. I would only want to do it out of necessity. But I think it's important to have your ducks in a row before doing anything!