Frugal Redecorating Tips - #FrugalFriday

frugal redecorating tips

I know whenever I hear the word “redecorate” I instantly think about how expensive it will be. But the truth is that with some wise planning and careful shopping, you can do some redecorating without spending huge amounts of money. Here are some frugal redecorating tips to help you get started on things around your house or apartment.

Windows

Shop for window coverings such as blinds and drapery panels at stores like Bed, Bath, Home Depot and Lowes. They have a lovely selection for a fraction of what you would pay for custom window treatments, and they always come with easy to install instructions. All you need is a measuring tape and a screw driver.

Walls

Buy “mistinted” paint. The next time you want to paint a room in your home ask the paint department at Home Depot or Lowes if you can look at their “mistinted” paint selection. As long as you are not overly fussy about the paint color you want, you will most likely find some nice choices. And instead of paying $40 for a gallon of paint you will pay $7 for a gallon of paint.

Furniture

For new furniture, shop at garage sales and estate sales. Find furniture that is good quality but in rough shape so that the price will be lower. Then take the pieces home and refinish them so that they look like new.

Mirrors

Add some large mirrors to your space. Again, shop at thrift stores or garage sales for old mirrors where the glass still looks great, and refinish the frames yourself in whatever color scheme you prefer.

Lights

Replace your outdated light fixtures or ceiling fans with new, inexpensive ones that you will find at discount department stores. Modern light fixtures from the big box stores will look expensive, but for a fraction of the price that you would pay at a lighting store.

Camera

Need some new artwork? Grab your camera and head outside to a nearby park or to the zoo and take a bunch of photos. Take close-ups as well, as they always look nice.

When you get home, scan through them on your computer and choose a few that you love. Get them developed in a large size such as 30 inches by 30 inches, or whatever. Then go to Michaels craft store and get them framed. Quite often they offer 50 to 60% off of framing materials, and you can pick and choose exactly how you want them to look.

Pillows

Update worn out throw pillows in your family room by making new covers for them. Look for nice vintage fabrics like ticking, linen tea towels and bedroom pillow cases that can easily be made into new pillow covers with basic sewing skills. Buy fabrics on sale and only buy enough to make the number of new covers that you need. Your pillows will look brand new again.

Dining Room

Would you love a nice cabinet for your dining room without spending a bundle? Check out a used furniture store for an old dresser, or chest of drawers, and refinish it.

Flowers

Brighten up any room in your home with fresh cut flowers from your garden or your local grocery store. I loved doing this before we had cats.

Slip Covers

Slip cover old chairs and sofas instead of buying expensive new furniture.

Make a Plan & Spend Wisely

When you want to redecorate but want to spend less at the same time, do your redecorating in stages, instead of doing it all at once. Begin by making a list of all of the items that you need and then keep an eye out for sales at your local stores and online. And as you plan things out, consider doing one room at a time so that it will be easier on you and on your wallet.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 08/09/2013 7:08 a.m. #

Great post Sicorra! I have noticed, though, that in most apartments you are not allowed to change light fixtures, though I don't think many people ask their landlords to change them anyway. My solution to that problem is to put in some nice free-standing lamps because they give a much nicer light in my opinion and I actually prefer them (we have tons in our house!). I like your idea of adding large mirrors because it can really make rooms seems larger. I think Craigslist is probably the best place to find furniture at a reasonable price. We have a great kitchen table that we were able to find for $150 - four chairs included!

Sicorra 08/09/2013 11:34 a.m. #

Thanks very much DC !

I love your idea of using free-standing lamps! You can find so many cool designs and mix and match them up too. We have 2 from Walmart that I really like.

You are very fortunate to be able to use Craigslist so easliy. In our city using it is pretty risky to use.

• Apollo

Apollo 08/09/2013 7:28 a.m. #

Sometimes you can really achieve big chances with minor adjustments and they do not always have to be expensive. Nice post with good ideas.

Sicorra 08/09/2013 11:35 a.m. #

Yes, even simple changes can make a big difference.

krantcents 08/09/2013 9 a.m. #

My wife is a genius at doing minor things to make you feel as though she redecorated. It may be pillows or just moving around furniture.

Sicorra 08/09/2013 11:35 a.m. #

It is great to have an in-house decorator, isn't it?

Corina Ramos 08/09/2013 9:27 a.m. #

I love these tips!

While I keep most of these in mind when redecorating, I did learn some new stuff here.

I love the idea of taking pictures and framing them and I didn't know Lowe's and Home Depot had mistinted paints...never occurred to me but it's worth taking a look at the selection if it means saving money :).

I take my time decorating. I want everything to be just right so I choose colors carefully. I also wait on deals to try to come under budget. I have fun doing it :).

Happy Friday my friend. Let's talk soon!

Sicorra 08/09/2013 11:42 a.m. #

Hey Corina,

Thanks very much!

I felt like I had discovered gold when I found mistinted paint at Home Depot last year.

And it was expensive brands too.

It happens whenever the people behind the paint customer service counter make a requested mix for a customer and the customer says they do not like it. No worries, it goes on the mistinted shelf. So we found a lovely light silver color for $7 a gallon and used it to paint our home office. Check it out next time you are there.

Happy Friday!!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 08/09/2013 11:07 a.m. #

Great tips. Often little things can make surprisingly big changes. We've been sprucing up the house and what started as one room has turned into multiple room. This might be my fault. :) Have a great weekend!

Sicorra 08/09/2013 11:44 a.m. #

Not unusual at all Shannon! Doing one room over usually expands into doing the whole house. It can be fun though. Have a great weekend too :-)

• Laurie @thefrugalfarmer

Laurie @thefrugalfarmer 08/09/2013 12:39 p.m. #

We just saw mistinted paint at the local store here for $5 a gallon! Made me want to paint just to get the good deal. :-) Love the ideas about using mirrors and your own pics too - those always make the best decorations, if you ask me. Have a great weekend, Sicorra :-)

Sicorra 08/09/2013 1:17 p.m. #

$5? What an excellent price Laurie! It's an amazing find! And yes, it is so nice to hang pictures that you have taken yourself, and you can change them out whenever you want to. Thanks Laurie & have a great weekend too!

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 08/11/2013 9:10 p.m. #

My proudest buy ever is this huge, framed, carved mirror I got at a garage sale for $3. Almost everywhere I've lived I've not been allowed to paint, though. Otherwise I'd be all over the mistinted thing. Great tip!

• SuburbanFinance

SuburbanFinance 08/12/2013 12:22 a.m. #

I am planning to do some redecoration in the next couple of weeks. You're post had given me great tips. Thank you very much.