Reorganize and Spruce Up the Home-Office For The New School Year

reorganize the home officeNow that the kiddos are getting ready to head back to school, it would be a great time to reorganize and spruce up the home-office for the new school year.

I’ll admit during the summer my home-office took a back seat to housework, spending some time with the kids and work. Junk mail piled up, there were some emails that didn’t get a response and dusting…pah-lease don’t get me started on that!

I thought I would share some of the basic things we can do to spruce up the home-office. So, before you open a bottle of wine and toast to the new school year, check out these suggestions and see if your work area can use some attention. I know mine does!

Give It A Good Cleaning

The image above is what my desk actually looks like right now. It’s bad, huh? But I know where everything is, I think. As you can see there are all kinds of stuff on my desk. I let documents and receipts pile up on my desk.  Accessories like my stapler and tape dispenser is out of place. I can’t even see my desk calendar!

Take some time put things back where they go. Then take out the Pledge and start polishing the furniture. Light some candles or plugin your favorite scented oil.

Move The Furniture Around

I like moving the furniture around every now and then to get a new feel. If you can move your desk by a window go for it. The scenery outside might get your creative juices going.

You can even take it a step further and maybe repaint your office. Sicorra suggested going out to our local Lowe’s or Home Depot stores and look for “mistinted” paint you can get on the cheap. Great idea, right?

Get Back To Your Regular Business Routine

It has been hard for me to go through a day without a distraction. I don’t remember ever working through my schedule. There was always something or someone that needed my attention. Was this you too?

Now that you have the house to yourself it’s time to get back to business my friend! Return those important phone calls. Schedule a lunch meeting and return to networking your business.

A new back to school year can also mean new ideas for promoting your business. The house is quiet and you can actually here yourself think. The ideas can start pouring in!

Let’s Dish It

I don’t know about you but I can hardly contain my excitement. This is our last week of summer vacation. Next Tuesday, they belong to the school!

Could your home-office use some sprucing up? What would you like to do to it? Do you have a back-to-school ritual you do every year? If not, what’s the first thing you’re going to do as soon as they get on the bus or when you get home from dropping them off? Fill out the comments section below and let’s get this conversation started!

Sharing Is Caring

If you like this post, I would really love it if you would share this post in your social circles. Thank you!

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

• Harleena Singh

Harleena Singh 08/21/2013 8:24 a.m. #

Hi Corina,

I can SO well relate to this having gone through this very phase when my kids were young! I think every Mom waits for the time when her kids return to school so that she can have a real breather once again, and yes dads too, especially if they are working from home as well.

I never really worked too much when my kids were in their school going years, and if it was it was always during the time when they weren't home, or my part time job was during those hours only. I didn't work from home that time, so never had such a problem and a desk like this, which I have now sometimes when they are home! Yes, even though they are well grown up, but when they have a few days break, the house does go topsy turvy and needs attention.

I like to keep my work area in a separate room and away from the main house, and because I manage to do that now, things are little under control, unless my kids come right into my work room and create a mess! Because there are certain things I have on my desk alone and if they want that, there's bound to be chaos. But it works well if you keep cleaning your desk regularly, espeically when kids are home.

I agree, your routine and work schedule does change because your attention is all the time on your kids, and being on a holiday they DO need your time. Your work is also bound to suffer a wee bit, but then I guess it's understandable as eveyone is having their breaks this time of the year.

I too prefer the natural surrounds and lights as far as possible in my work place, and I like the quiet time to work too. Or then light instrumental music playing in the background when I'm not really working and on social media. :)

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)

Corina Ramos 08/21/2013 11:47 a.m. #

Hi Harleena,

My kids are teens too and they make more of a mess now than they did when they were kids. :)

My office is private but they still come in. There is always a reason for using my computer instead of theirs, LOL. Unfortunately though, that mess is all mine :).

I can't wait to get back into my old routine. At least until the Fall break in November :). Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your experience. Hope you've been having a great week!

• No Waste

No Waste 08/21/2013 9:07 a.m. #

Goodness gracious, there's nothing much better than the result of cleaning out and reorganizing a workspace.

It just feels so ... fresh!

Plus, there's so much more room for activities!

Corina Ramos 08/21/2013 11:50 a.m. #

Hi there No Waste,

I took a page out of my own post and cleaned my office yesterday. I even wanted to repaint but the hubby vetoed that because their is already enough stuff on his to-do list :)

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

• Bren

Bren 08/21/2013 9:52 a.m. #

Love the office Corina! Looks spacious! Great tips on the tidying too! I bet you'll miss your kids when they go back to school.

Corina Ramos 08/21/2013 11:55 a.m. #

Hey Bren!

I love my kids and I might miss them a little bit :). They are some wild ones girl...I told Sicorra I can write a book or my life can be a reality show! But yeah, as crazy and dysfunctional as we are I love my fam. :)

I finally cleaned my office yesterday and moved stuff around. I lost two plants because of my negligence too. :(

Thanks girlfriend and for stopping by and commenting Bren! Happy Hump Day!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 08/21/2013 10:31 a.m. #

I'll admit that I can be a bit OCD when it comes to my desk. During the day, there might be a few piles, here and there, but before I go home, I have to tuck everything away or else it really bothers me! :) The girls go back to school next week and this Mom is pretty excited too!

Corina Ramos 08/21/2013 12:02 p.m. #

I know what you mean Shannon. Believe it or not but it bothered the heck out of me knowing I had my office like this. Usually before I close the door, I like to put everything back. Even my kids were "freakin' out" as they say.

Thank goodness I snapped back to reality and gave it a good cleaning yesterday. :)

I won't go breaking out the wine or anything either but I can do the Tom Cruise dance when I'm alone :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts Shannon!

Have a great day girlfriend!

• Heather

Heather 08/21/2013 2:49 p.m. #

My office definitely needs a good dusting. Unfortunately none of my kids are in school yet for said free time. Oh well I'll work it in.

Corina Ramos 08/21/2013 7:20 p.m. #

I remember those days Heather! I spent a lot of time in the bathroom just to get some quiet time :). Don't worry girlfriend, it'll happen!

I finally cleaned my office and man was it in need of dusting! LOL.

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

• Corinne

Corinne 08/21/2013 3:09 p.m. #

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes let's the home work space go. I often end up with papers piled on the sides of my desk, either to-do piles or my daughter's drawings because she wants to me to keep EVERYTHING.
      And yes, I too get relived when she goes back to school. I have a 2-yr-old at home, that's stress enough. I don't need to add a sassy 5-yr-old too!

Corina Ramos 08/21/2013 7:23 p.m. #

That is too funny Corinne!

Wait until that sassy 5-year-old is 16! That's what I'm going through now. :)

That same sassy girl wanted to me keep all her stuff too. She was going through old drawings and asking me if I remembered receiving them...pah-lease! I don't remember what I did last week! LOL :)

My office always gets neglected, poor thing. :). To me, it just shows our creativeness and I'm very creative! Thanks for stopping by girlfriend!

krantcents 08/21/2013 6:12 p.m. #

I routinely clean up my office every week or two. My office is due for a major reorganization in the next few weeks.

• Sylviane Nuccio

Sylviane Nuccio 08/21/2013 6:48 p.m. #

Hi Corina,

Wow, you've got a big desk and it looks like the desk of someone busy, so that's great.

I like moving furniture around too at times, because it make you feel like you are in a new place again. Since I moved just this past May, I don't feel the need for that yet, though.

My desk is not always as neat as I want it to be, but as for the rest of my house it is pretty neat because mess and dirty stuff makes me feel pretty uneasy.

Great post :)

Corina Ramos 08/22/2013 10:03 a.m. #

Hi Sylviane,

I've since cleaned up my office and even rearranged the furniture since this pic but at that time I did know where things were.

Actually it was mentioned on the Today Show I believe that a messy desk is a sign of creativity and production :) but it really was time for a good cleaning. :)

The rest of the house is clean, it has to be because it's an open layout so when you walk in you immediately see my kitchen and so no dishes can be unwashed, LOL.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts Sylviane. Congratulations on the new move! Have you totally settled in?

DC @ Young Adult Money 08/22/2013 4:52 a.m. #

If I worked from home full-time and had kids, back-to-school would be the best time of the year! Haha, but I still use my office quite a bit even though I don't work-from-home full-time and I definitely put it on the back-burner and really should spend some time giving it a good cleaning and adding shelving and other storage.

Corina Ramos 08/22/2013 10:07 a.m. #

We had a Twitter chat a couple days ago and described a serious blogger as one who has bags and dark circles under our eyes....another sign? A messy office of course LOL.

According to my pic and my dark circles I'm one heck of a blogger! LOL :).

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts DC! Happy Thursday!

• Anthony @ Thrifty Dad

Anthony @ Thrifty Dad 08/22/2013 12:39 p.m. #

I'm not the most organized and we just had to move our office into our bedroom, to make way for new baby, so we're working with half the space and it's a disaster. I can't wait till we can save enough up to do a basement reno, and make some room to reclaim our office space.

• CarolB

CarolB 08/23/2013 6:01 p.m. #

I am soooo looking forward to the start of school on Monday! I have so much to catch up on - including cleaning my office of all those school supplies that somehow ended up in my room!

Though if I am totally honest, I'll miss those mess-makers once they go! Though they notoriously interrupt me at critical writing points (hence why the past few weeks only one post a week has made it's way out), they also had a knack for creating laughter and distractions at just the right time.

Happy last weekend before school starts! I'm holding off the dancing until they are both gone - 8:40am Monday morning!

• Donna Merrill

Donna Merrill 09/01/2013 9:11 p.m. #

Hi Corina!

Sorry for my late response, but I was offline for 10 days! arranging furniture is one of the things I love to do.

As for my office...I like it plain and simple. This is why I cannot share one with my husband. He likes papers all around him. I'm a bit OCD so when things are not clear, I cannot concentrate. Go figure!