10 Ways to Be a Frugal Shopper #FrugalFriday

ways to be a frugal shopper

Do you spend a lot of time wondering where your money went? Does it feel like the moment you receive your pay, all the money just trickles right out of your hands? If that scenario is a good way of describing your relationship with money, then it's time to rethink your spending.

Begin by going through your credit card purchases and other receipts. Are you spending way more than you're making? Perhaps it is time to reconsider your financial decisions.

Reducing your spending and becoming a frugal shopper will help you save up for bigger expenses, and will prevent you from going into debt.

Ten Quick Tips To Help You Become a Frugal Shopper

Clean Up Your Bad Habits

If you enjoy drinking alcohol, and, or smoking cigarettes, chances are you are spending a good chunk of your pay on those items each month. As a frugal shopper you can’t afford these anymore. So figure out a way to rid yourself of these bad habits and put that money into your savings account.

Stop Dining Out

Learn to cook instead. If you do not enjoy being in the kitchen, look for quick simple meals with 5 ingredients or less that you can whip together in less than 30 minutes. Start using your slow cooker too for easy inexpensive meals.

Stop Buying DVDs And Books

Get use to using the library instead. You can always do a book swap with friends and family as well.

Reduce Your Cell Phone Plan or Eliminate It

If your budget is tight but you find that your monthly cell phone bill includes every feature under the sun, look at which features you can remove to reduce the cost of your cell phone plan.

Do Household Chores Yourself

If you're hiring someone else to mow the lawn or clean your house, stop. While it is lovely to have more free time, if you are already living beyond your means, then some of these luxuries need to go. Do all this work yourself at least until you get your finances under control, and then remember to use these services wisely.

Read Newspapers And Magazines Online For Free

Are you still getting magazines in the mail each month? Do you walk out to your front porch every morning to grab the local newspaper? Try cancelling those services and read online instead.

Shop With A List

Never grocery shop without a clear list of the items you need. Stick to your list and do not be tempted by the lovely smells from the bakery or the snack foods that are calling your name.

Go Cash Only!

Each month put money in jars for the expenses that you typically pay for with a credit card, such as groceries, gas, coffee, and so on.

Take that money with you when you go shopping and understand that once that money is gone it is gone. In other words it needs to last until the last day of the month and if the jar is empty by the 15th of the month then you will have to figure out how to go without for 15 days. And be even more frugal the following month so that you do not run out of cash.

Cancel Gym Memberships

Some may argue that they cannot live without their gym membership because they go everyday. If in fact you do use it wisely, then great.

But there are many more people out there that have gym memberships that they bought on January 1st and never use. The membership dues payment comes out of their bank account every month, but they rarely go to the gym. Those are the people that should cancel and save that money.

Minimize Vanity Spending

Some people try to justify expenses like frequent trips to the salon, blow outs, expensive makeup, etc by saying that they only do this to maintain their appearance for work-related purposes. In reality, you can have your hair in a simple cut or style and it wouldn't matter. Color your hair at home and learn how to do your own manicures and pedicures, or see if you have a friend that knows how to do it.

A frugal shopper is a wise shopper who always has money leftover at the end of the month instead of stressing about not having enough money, again.

Comments

krantcents 08/30/2013 9:24 a.m. #

Although your suggestions are good, but a little extreme. I do not believe in cutting out everything, instead just cut down. For example, a 10% cut is much more long lasting.

Sicorra 08/30/2013 10:36 a.m. #

Cutting back a bit is fine if you just want to save a bit of money. These types of cuts are for people that are in serious financial trouble but still living like nothing is wrong because they just haven't come to terms with it yet. And there are so many of those types of people out there. It is amazing!

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 08/30/2013 2:52 p.m. #

I utilize the library quite a bit! I love to read, and if I bought every book I wanted to read, I'd be broke! :)

Have a great weekend!!

Sicorra 08/30/2013 6:04 p.m. #

I know, it is amazing how much we can spend on books. It adds up quickly. Good for you for using the library.

Enjoy the long weekend!

• Laurie @thefrugalfarmer

Laurie @thefrugalfarmer 08/30/2013 3:53 p.m. #

I'm excited to see we've done most all of these - yea! I still would like to get to the point where we're paying cash for everything, but we're still using the debit card. Baby steps. :-)

Sicorra 08/30/2013 6:06 p.m. #

Congrats Laurie! You guys are doing excellent. I would consider the debit card very close to using cash, although I guess it does allow one to go over if there is extra cash in the account, right?

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies 08/31/2013 12:04 a.m. #

You can even find a large variety of free e-books online too. I downloaded the apps for Nook and Kindle on my cell phone and read on my phone.

Sicorra 09/02/2013 11:52 a.m. #

Great point about the free ebooks online. Thanks Christy! I remember using one site in particular a few years ago, but then forgot about it until I read your comment.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Ellen M. Gregg 08/31/2013 8:28 a.m. #

I love this post! :-) I'm a minimalist, plus my income is minimal, to say the least, and so I already adhere to the suggestions above. I often say - and know it to be true in my heart - that even if I were to win millions of dollars, I would still choose to live this way because it suits me. I'd rather spend excess money on improving others' lives than on frivolous and unnecessary expenditures for myself. Peace.

Sicorra 09/02/2013 11:56 a.m. #

Thanks very much Ellen! I've always said that some people are born spenders and some are born minimalist. And when you are born minimalist it is good to stay with that otherwise life just doesn't feel right. So as you said, even if you won the lottery, you would stick with what is most comfortable with you. Very important!

DC @ Young Adult Money 09/03/2013 4:59 a.m. #

DVDs and Books are budget killers and for years my wife and I collected them. Over the past three years, though, we have gone "all-in" and only get stuff from the library. It's definitely saved us hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of dollars!

• Kendal @HassleFreeSaver

Kendal @HassleFreeSaver 10/04/2013 3:05 p.m. #

Great tips! I would also suggest cutting the cord on cable and learning to use coupons. I never used to be a couponer but now I use a mobile app and save quite a bit!