Inexpensive, Yet Safe Places to Travel

inexpensive safe places to travel

When people talk about travel, the discussion inevitably turns to cost. This is doubly true if you're traveling overseas. The travel bug is always expensive -- or is it?

The truth is that it's possible to travel overseas without breaking the bank. Certainly, you'll still have to spend money for airfare, lodgings, and food. However, there is a way to lessen the cost of travel, and it's not as complicated as you think.

All you need to do is to find the right destination.

Cheap Destinations

Where you want to travel to is always a matter of taste and preference. However, if you want to travel without spending too much, you can start by looking at places that let you stretch your dollar to the max. There are destinations that offer more value for your money, without sacrificing fun and memories.

The problem: are these destinations safe?

Safety First

Saving money while traveling is a good plan. And the more money you save the more often you will be able to travel. However you do not want to end up in an affordable country with very high crime rates and significant political instability, because you might lose more than just your wallet.

But don’t worry, there are several destinations that are both affordable and safe. Here are four inexpensive, yet safe places to travel to.

Most travelers love Thailand for its colorful history and rich culture. However, the country might just be over-saturated as a tourist destination. Instead, check out the less popular option: Cambodia. This country has finally emerged from decades of strife and violence.

Cambodia today is beautiful, modern, and mostly untouched. Since it isn't as popular as most of its neighbors, the country can be considered one of the hidden gems of Southeast Asia. Visit the beautiful and historical Angkor Wat, check out the local cuisine, and experience the locals' famous hospitality.

Bonus: the country is less prone to political instability -- a primary problem in otherwise popular Thailand.

Just east of Greece you will find Turkey. It's a wonder this beautiful blend of East and West still isn't a top tourist destination for North Americans; it's been a European beloved for years.

The great thing about Turkey is that it offers a lot of different options. If you're a history buff, the country still has its beautiful old towns that showcase a mix of Asian and European influences.

If you want to chill and relax, the country also has beautiful sandy beaches to offer.

Finally, it's also a bustling modern country with all the necessary amenities for a tourist.

The European union's financial woes made Turkey an even better destination. Now your dollar definitely has an increase in spending power here.

Want a European experience but don't want to spring for an expensive trip to Spain?

Check out Portugal. The country has a classic old world charm that's sure to charm travelers. Plus, Portugal definitely has a lot to offer thanks to its very rich culture.

Check out the country's beautiful old world buildings and galleries.

More importantly, savor the country's tasty treats. Portugal has one of the world's richest and most interesting cuisines, so you definitely shouldn't ignore the opportunity to delight your senses.

Portugal is definitely the budget option for travelers who want to check out Europe.

The country has more than just the grand canal to offer. Panama is a wonderful destination for sun worshipers. The cost of food and lodging isn't prohibitive and you also have the beautiful beaches to enjoy. It's definitely a viable destination if you're into nature and wildlife.

• Michelle

Michelle 09/05/2013 6:08 a.m. #

This is a good list. We really want to start traveling more, but want to keep it safe - but still cheap.

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:34 p.m. #

You guys should give Turkey a try perhaps. It sounds like a very nice place to visit.

• Ryan Biddulph

Ryan Biddulph 09/05/2013 7:05 a.m. #

I enjoyed my 2 month stay in Cambodia. Awesome spot! Also dig Thailand because if you know where to stay you can experience an amazing country at a fraction of the cost of living in the Western world....i.e. - instead of rushing to Patong in Phuket like the masses do head to the Southern tip of the island. Totally different experience....we love Rawai Bay! Thanks for the share.

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:49 p.m. #

I've been reading your blog. You guys are very fortunate to be able to travel so much and experience such nice places at great prices. Love the pics on your blog too.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 09/05/2013 10:27 a.m. #

Great list, Sicorra. I've been Turkey and I really loved it. Overseas travel can always seem so spendy but there are definitely good deal out there and sometimes traveling to less touristy areas can be a big difference in cost too.

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:50 p.m. #

That is so cool that you have been to Turkey. It sounds like an amazing location, yet not very expensive.

• Retired By 40

Retired By 40 09/05/2013 10:36 a.m. #

Once baby RB40 is born - I'm due in a 6 weeks - we are going to start planning a vacation! Life has been so hectic between moving, baby, and new jobs, that we desperately need it. I wouldn't have thought of Turkey, but I have heard good things about it.....checking trip advisor now!

Thanks for the budget friendly suggestions!

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:51 p.m. #

Congratulations. You must be excited, but sounds like you've been very busy as well. Hope you get a chance to take a vacation at some point.

• Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life

Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life 09/05/2013 12:36 p.m. #

The Philippines is a GREAT cheap destination. SOME areas are unsafe, but I was there for two months and never had an issue. In fact, it was one of the greatest times of my life. I recommend Taal Volcano, Pagsanjan Falls, Manila, and Boracay (a must do).

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:54 p.m. #

I've always heard that and it seems like many people are just packing up and heading over there to travel for months at a time. Good to hear you had a safe and fun journey.

• Apollo

Apollo 09/05/2013 2 p.m. #

I like Portugal the best out of all the ones you listed. I have never been, but it is on my to-go list.

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:55 p.m. #

You should check it out. I had a relative go there many years ago and loved it.

krantcents 09/05/2013 2:02 p.m. #

I have visited Turkey and Portugal.I really enjoyed the pastries in Portugal and food in Turkey.

Sicorra 09/05/2013 7:56 p.m. #

Sounds like you found some great places to eat.

• Marissa@FinanceTrigger

Marissa@FinanceTrigger 09/05/2013 11:40 p.m. #

I agree with you there's really a way to enjoy travelling without breaking tha bank. Planning is key. Proper research does wonders. I'm really looking forward to taking a trip soon. I'll note your suggestions for sure.

• Manfred @ Renegade Travels

Manfred @ Renegade Travels 09/06/2013 5 a.m. #

We visited Cambodia for six weeks a couple of months ago and loved it there. I've never heard it called modern though. Most of the country is very poor and a very long way from modern. Phnom Penh is somewhere I'd like to spend more time.

• MakintheBacon

MakintheBacon 09/07/2013 8:46 p.m. #

My sister and I are planning on doing a trip together next year and I have been thinking about doing Portugal and Spain because they are right beside each other. It's good to know that Portugal is budget friendly for travelers.