The Quickest Way to Discover Your Strengths and Develop Your Expertise

discover your strengths and expertise

Do you sometimes feel like something is missing in your life? Perhaps you are happy with your home and the city you live in, but wish you had more money. Or perhaps you wish you were more adventurous, and a bigger risk taker. Maybe your job pays the bills and most days things go okay, but you just have this feeling that you should be doing something else. Something more challenging. But then fear gets in the way. You worry that you do not have the skills and expertise to pursue a better job. A job that you will enjoy while still earning a nice income.

Unfortunately it is quite normal for people to stop themselves from pursuing a new job, because everytime they think about it their mind instantly comes up with 20 reasons why they shouldn’t.

If some sort of fear is holding you back from pursuing something more exciting, here are the quickest ways to discover your strengths and develop your expertise.

It is Time to Discover Your Strengths

Write it Down

Make a list of everything that you are good at. Don’t be shy.

Write down all of your current skills and experience. List everything from speaking a foreign language, to cooking like a professional chef, to flying a helicopter. Once you know where your strengths lie you can begin to figure out how to use these skills to your advantage.

As you make your list, include things such as your top 2 major accomplishments, both at work and in life in general. Don't be afraid to think outside the box, as they say. Even the most unusual skills can turn into something amazing.

You will find that there will be things that you enjoy doing and things that you do just because you need to. Highlight the things that you really enjoy doing so that you can pursue a career that allows you to use those skills more often.

Get Feedback From Others

Get an honest and true perspective of your strengths and weaknesses by speaking to others. Ask for their unbiased opinions. What are you really good at, and what could you improve upon?

Family and friends may simply tell you all kinds of good things because they want to be supportive, and that’s wonderful. We all need positive reinforcement.

But when it comes to improving yourself, ask your manager at work, or your co-workers about how you could do things better. Ask teachers for feedback. Ask your friend’s parents, instead of your own. You want objective feedback that you can use to further develop your skills, and help you move in the right direction.

You want to talk with people that will help you discover new things about yourself.

How to Develop Your Expertise

Consider Your Options

Would going back to school help you get your dream job, or start your dream business? Could you possibly take some night school classes instead, or perhaps teach yourself the skills you need to move ahead?

Does your current employer offer funding for on-going education? Many actually do because improving your skills is beneficial to them as well.

Take the next step. Find ways to practice and further develop your skills. Find ways to learn new things too. Be creative, and get the ball rolling.

Corina Ramos 09/09/2013 8:45 a.m. #

This is the one thing I miss about having an office job. My boss would give us an evaluation and discussed our strengths and weaknesses which helped me develop my skills.

Since I can't afford to go back to school I look at how-to videos on YouTube and takes notes. There are also online tutoring sites that offer courses as well.

This is a great reminder for us to stop and take a self-evaluation every now and then to keep us growing in our respective fields.

Happy Monday Sicorra! Let's catch up soon. :)

Sicorra 09/09/2013 2:39 p.m. #

Thanks Corina! I miss the job evaluations as well. But doing a self-evaluation is very helpful. Writing things down seems to make a big difference. Seeing a list of your skills can really boost your self confidence.

• Jaclyn

Jaclyn 09/09/2013 9:53 a.m. #

Great post, I'm going through this right now (trying to figure out where my strengths are). Also, thanks for the free blog planning calendar!!

Sicorra 09/09/2013 2:40 p.m. #

You are welcome Jaclyn! And good luck with sorting out your strengths.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 09/09/2013 10:45 a.m. #

Personal development is so important. Back when I was in Corporate America it was something every leader worked on with their team. It was actually a lot of fun to see what my team wanted to do and to encourage them to seek out education/opportunities to help them grow. It's something I've continued now that I'm my own again.

Sicorra 09/09/2013 2:41 p.m. #

I agree Shannon, it can be a lot of fun. And it is very beneficial to get managers feedback, esp if they are on your side and can help you pursue your career goals.

krantcents 09/09/2013 5:21 p.m. #

Too often, people do not do as much as they should because they are afraid of something. Trying things even if you fail is necessary for personal and professional growth.

Sicorra 09/10/2013 2:47 p.m. #

Fear definitely holds many people back from achieving more in life.

• corinne

corinne 09/10/2013 1:49 a.m. #

Great post Sicorra. Working for myself now, it's hard to get an objection opinion on how I can better myself. I agree that taking classes can help you keep on learning and reaching new goals.
      I hope you have a great week!

Sicorra 09/10/2013 2:49 p.m. #

I know what you mean Corinne. It is more difficult when you work on your own. Even though I work on my own as well, I still do the list of strengths and accomplishments to remind myself of how much I have learned and all the different things I can do today that I didn't know how to do 5 to 10 years ago. That helps. Have a great week as well, and thanks for stopping by.

• Lisa E. @ Lisa Vs. the Loans

Lisa E. @ Lisa Vs. the Loans 09/10/2013 12:14 p.m. #

I'm currently stuck in fear and indecisiveness. I know I want something new in regards to my career, but I can never really pinpoint what exactly it is I want. Hopefully this will help me make a decisions, thanks for this!

Sicorra 09/10/2013 2:50 p.m. #

It does take some time to figure it out Lisa. Hopefully you will soon discover what it is that you really want.

• Karla Twomey

Karla Twomey 09/11/2013 3:29 p.m. #

Thanks for the post :) I'm in the process of planning my business start up as well as reevaluating my personal goals. This step of analyzing strengths and weaknesses is an important part of that. Recently I had a thought that is resonating with me... Quit working on the weaknesses and start capitalizing on your strengths. In my past, I am guilty of trying to fix my bad qualities over and over. The problem is that there is always another weakness to fix! Darn it if I just cannot be perfect. So my new approach is to capitalize on my strengths and only fix weaknesses if they pose a problem for myself or others. Anyway, maybe that will help someone else who does the same things.

Karla Twomey

• Hunain @

Hunain @ 09/20/2013 7:48 p.m. #

I have made a list of things I am good at and a list of things I want to improve and learn. I don't have much time to learn new things in life that I always wanted to like making software applications or website designing but I am really passionate to learn them. I hope I will organize myself soon and I will take time to learn them.