15 Peasant Ways to Save Money For Your Kid's College Fund [Fun Infographic]

Saving for your child's college fund can feel like an impossible task. With all the other expenses of life, saving might be one of the last things on your to-do list. From paying the bills to weekly groceries, all the money is gone before you know it. Of course you want your child to receive the best possible education, but how can they when college is so expensive?

For many, debt seems inevitable, without any way to get around it.

However, the last thing you want is for your child to be starting their future with a bundle of debt.

Fortunately, there are ways to escape the debt that seems so imminent.

By cutting out small things now, you can make a big dent in your child's college fund. Those things that seem like necessities now just may change when you realize how much you could save without them. By going without Starbucks, you can save over $18,000--and hey, who said home brewed coffee isn't just as good? For those who think name brand is best, generic prescriptions get the job done equally well and the change could mean $22,000 in savings!

Check out this fun and helpful infographic from GED Academy for more effective ways to tuck money away for the future college years.

When saving is this easy, debt should never be the first option. A few frugal choices and the future suddenly looks promising!

ways to save money for kids college

• masnr9@gmail.com

masnr9@gmail.com 09/12/2013 6:24 a.m. #

Wow I had no idea that the average American spends that much on lottery tickets. I don't know of a single person who spends that much! Crazy.

Sicorra 09/13/2013 12:34 p.m. #

It does sound crazy but some people spend way more than that too. It just becomes another habit I guess

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie 09/12/2013 4:46 p.m. #

What a cute infographic! I like the yoga one: "You'll never be that flexible". :)

Sicorra 09/13/2013 12:35 p.m. #

Thanks Mackenzie. Some of them are pretty funny.

krantcents 09/12/2013 5:26 p.m. #

Nice graphic! I am very glad that I no longer have to save for my children's college education.

Sicorra 09/13/2013 12:36 p.m. #

Thanks! I'm sure no more college payments is a huge relief.

Corina Ramos 09/13/2013 8:28 a.m. #

Awesome post Sicorra and I loved the infographic! It was a real eye-opener for me because Marisa will be off to college in a couple years. We need to get on the ball with that when it comes to saving especially because the schools she's looking at are out of town and will be more costly.

On the "Stop Going Out To Eat" you should have added my name in the front :). That's our one biggest expense. I've been cooking more the last couple of weeks but it's hard with all the crazy schedules we have :).

Thanks for sharing the infographic...love the images and colors! Happy Friday my friend!

Sicorra 09/13/2013 12:43 p.m. #

Thanks very much Corina!

Saving up for Marisa's college will take some work, I'm sure. Just like saving up for a new car or a new house. I don't think it is something many of us enjoy doing (I know I don't), but how else will we pay for big ticket items.

Dining out can add up too but if it relives some stress around your home and frees up your time for other things, then sometimes you just have to do it.

Have a great weekend Corina :-)

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 09/13/2013 1:33 p.m. #

I love that making coffee at home just about pays for a year's tuition! So great to see these stats. Personally, I really enjoy the coffee I make myself. I save the Starbucks for an occasional treat.

Thanks for sharing this infographic, Sicorra! It would be great printed out and framed!

Sicorra 09/13/2013 5:26 p.m. #

Like you, my husband likes making his coffee\Espresso at home as well. But we do stop at Starbucks on the weekends.

Thanks for commenting Maggie!

• CarolB

CarolB 09/13/2013 1:52 p.m. #

You had me until "Don't go on vacation"! Actually, we have implemented just about every one of these items in the infographic, except the vacation one. We cut most of the other things out so we can go on vacation and save for college. Oh and the 3x a year pedicure. I haven't cut that one! A girl's just gotta start summer off with a nice set of nails!

Happy weekend!

Sicorra 09/13/2013 5:29 p.m. #

I hear ya Carol. Some things like travel and Pedicures take priority, and you guys do a lot to be able to treat yourself to both of those, which is wonderful.

Have a great weekend!

• Kristin

Kristin 09/13/2013 2:08 p.m. #

This was funny with a lot of good points! lol I don't do too many... but I have to get more into couponing...

Sicorra 09/13/2013 5:30 p.m. #

Thanks! I thought some of the points were quite funny too. I would love to be able to do more couponing as well.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 09/13/2013 3:22 p.m. #

I remember when I bought my car - seven years ago (it doesn't seem that long ago!) I almost bought a car that required premium gas. My dad was against and I wasn't terribly keen on paying more for gas either. It adds quickly and I had better things to spend my money on!! One thing I can't give up in pedicures. I know that I can do them myself but it's the one little luxury I still have. And it's the ONLY thing that is cheaper in California (unless you're going to a spa). It's only $15, but everything else - I pay a lot more for than I did in MN. LOL!

Sicorra 09/13/2013 5:32 p.m. #

From what I understand wearing sandals happens pretty much year round in LA, much like Corina in Texas, so I bet you definitely get your monies worth by having your nails professionally done. That is so cool that the price is so low.

• Nicole

Nicole 09/13/2013 5:52 p.m. #

Great tips!! I kicked my starbucks habit and no longer did I save money... I lost weight too. A win-win.

Thanks for sharing,

Sicorra 09/14/2013 5:49 p.m. #

Congrats on both kicking the habit and losing the weight. Must feel so good :-)

• femmefrugality

femmefrugality 09/13/2013 8:41 p.m. #

Love it! I had an acquaintance once who quit smoking by automatically deducting the amount he spent on a pack of smokes each day and putting it into a separate savings account. Any time he got tempted to smoke, he called the bank number to check his balance. He had amassed quite a lot!

Sicorra 09/14/2013 5:50 p.m. #

That is so cool. I don't even know how much a pack is these days, but I'm sure that the price is high and I bet a pack a day adds up quite quickly.

• corinne

corinne 09/13/2013 9:05 p.m. #

I love this infographic! I also like that Starbucks is right up there at the top. It's expensive! DH went through a period where he was buying one a day -but his one is a venti with like 4 extra espresso shots and all kinds of yummy things added. I bought a stovetop espresso maker and a bunch of syrups and started making them at home. Not the same, but much cheaper. He's since broken his SB habit luckily

Sicorra 09/14/2013 5:53 p.m. #

Good for you for buying an espresso maker and making your own. It is fun to experiment with the syrups as well. And I bet by your husband quitting going there everyday you have saved some cash that you can now use for other things. I know Starbucks prices are different everywhere you go. A Venti Mocha here with an extra shot of espresso is about $5.75 to $6. During the week my husband makes his own too.

• Arelis Cintron

Arelis Cintron 09/30/2013 11:57 a.m. #

It's funny i keep asking myself how can I save more money or pay things off faster and #1 on the list is Starbucks which I started drinking regularly in May. I don't even want to say how much money I've spent at that place :(