A Direct Sales Business That Won’t Take A Lot Of Money To Start

direct sales business

If you’ve been dreaming of starting a home-based business but running out of ideas because the start-up revenue seems a bit out of reach, don’t put the dream away my friend there are still some options to explore. Today I’d like to take a look at the idea of starting a direct sales business.

Now before you tune me out, it’s not like it used to be when the only way to make money was to host a party, and it wasn’t much to top it all off. Thanks to social media you can promote your products worldwide giving you more opportunities to make money. Plus you can showcase them like never before with social sites like Pinterest and Instagram. Want another bonus? You can’t beat the start-up prices. Some company start-up fees are as little as $30!

What Does It Take To Run A Successful Direct Sales Business?

There are some key characteristics you need to make it in the direct sales business. It takes a certain personality, a certain charisma, and drive to make it work. And then there are these qualities you should have…

You have to believe in the product you’re selling. A lack of faith in your product will reflect in how you present and promote it. You can’t expect a customer to believe in your product if you don’t.

You have to be a people person. You’ll have to do a lot of networking in order to grow your business and you’ll need those people skills to be able to talk up your product to potential customers.

You have to be outgoing. There’s no time to be shy, you have a product to sell and being sociable is an important characteristic to have in the direct sales business.

What Kind Of Direct Sales Business Should You Go Into?

As you know there are tons of direct sales businesses to choose from. There are cosmetics, candles, home décor, skin care products, supplements, and many, many more. I won’t go into all that but I will go over three popular products out there and introduce you to some ladies who are making a living by running their own direct sales business. Are you ready?

Mary Kay

I’m sure everyone has heard about Mary Kay and maybe even used it at one time or another. When I think about Mary Kay I think about the pink cars they give away to their top performers.

To become a Mary Kay Consultant all you need is $100. This includes a starter kit of full size products valued at $400, materials such as books and DVDs to keep you growing, samples, catalogs, and even a website. Want to know more? You can contact Susanne Beer. Plus is she going to dish it out about Mary Kay on my blog next week. I can’t wait!

Scentsy

Scentsy is a fragrance melted in a decorative ceramic warmer by the heat of a single light bulb. They have a variety of fragrances and decorative warmers to fit every woman’s taste and you can put them in any part of your room or office.

It only takes $99 to become a Scentsy Consultant. A starter kit will include catalogs, scent testers, brochures, and a dedicated site, which is all you need to start a successful Scentsy business. Want to know more about this? You can find Toni Coffie Jones on Facebook, who happens to be my Scentsy Consultant!

Selling Gift Baskets

I recently did an Interview with Angela Sambrook who happens to be a La Bella Gift Basket Consultant. In it she discusses her success story with us plus she tells you how you can become a consultant for La Bella Gift Baskets.

How does starting your own La Bella Gift Basket Business for only $24.95 sound? This covers your ecommerce store, consultant back office, online training, and marketing material…not to mention ongoing support. It sounds like a great opportunity and I’m considering this myself!

The Common Factor

These ladies may be in different parts of the country and selling different products but the one thing they have in common with each other is that they are happy and achieving a work-life balance. Who wouldn’t want that?

Over To You

What do you think about running a direct sales business? If you had the chance to start a direct sales business, what product would you sell? Let’s dish it out in the comments section below.

Sharing Is Caring

I would really appreciate it if you’d share this post in your social circles. You may have a follower who could use these ideas…thanks for sharing!

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 09/18/2013 5:10 a.m. #

At this point I'm really interested in selling things through affiliate marketing. I would have trouble getting excited about a direct sales business because of the options available with affiliate marketing and the fact I'm a huge introvert so it's much easier to hide behind my computer screen than try to sell products in person.

Corina Ramos 09/18/2013 12:52 p.m. #

I hear ya DC! You have to be out there and have a tough skin to boot. My career background includes Sales and after 10+ years of doing that I would have to think long and hard before heading back into that field. But these products seem to sell itself and that's a plus!

I wish you all the best in your affiliate market venture!

Happy Wednesday!

• Ellen M. Gregg

Ellen M. Gregg 09/18/2013 8:18 a.m. #

I really, *really* like the idea of a direct sales business that would complement my healing business. Scentsy appeals because 1) I use it and love it, and 2) I appreciate that the wax is food-grade, and nothing noxious is released into the air.
      This is the second time in two weeks that this idea has been presented to me, Corina. Third time's the charm, and I won't be at all surprised when it comes. :-)

Corina Ramos 09/18/2013 12:55 p.m. #

Ooh girlfriend let me put my Sales Manager hat on...You have perfect qualities. And because you use the product you can use that to personalize your sales pitch and when you connect with the ladies, boom there's a sale!

I'm a believer in signs Ellen and if you get one more, I think you should look into it :).

Please keep me posted...I would love to know when that happens!

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies 09/18/2013 9:42 a.m. #

I am not a huge fan of direct selling because I don't like hosting huge parties in order to make money. I love blogging and it gives me an opportunity to make some extra money.

Corina Ramos 09/18/2013 1:05 p.m. #

I'm with you there Christy. I was never too found of the idea of hosting a party. I had one a very long time ago selling candles and I did pretty well for a first timer...I sold $1,500 worth of products.

Of course the lady wanted to sign me up on her team (that's some killer commish) but I couldn't imagine doing that full time.

Now we have social media and blogging as another way to promote products so there are plenty more options than hosting parties.

I'm liking this blogging gig myself :). Wishing you all the best with it Christy! Happy Wednesday :)!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 09/18/2013 10:11 a.m. #

My sister and Mom both sell Nerium, a skincare product. They both have done quite well in direct sales. Although it really isn't for me, I am extremely proud of their success and know for the right person, it can be incredibly rewarding. They both seem to have a lot of fun too! :)

Corina Ramos 09/18/2013 1:17 p.m. #

Yes you have to have some love for the business. I'm with you there Shannon...it's not for me either. It sounds tempting but I know if I don't have passion for it, I'll lose interest fast.

I was truly excited to read your mom and sister have been successful at this...just one more testimony that you can make a living in this field! I wish them all the succes!

Happy Wednesday Shannon! :)

• Bren

Bren 09/18/2013 4:18 p.m. #

Hi Cori! Great ideas up there, but you forgot to mention the "naughty nighty" parties. :) I've never tried direct sale although I have worked in retails and liked it. Direct sales for my own business would put way too much pressure on me to MAKE THAT SALE! Eeek! Power to those who do it though. I know many that just love it!

Corina Ramos 09/18/2013 7:08 p.m. #

Girl I did not forget the naughty nighty parties :)....I've been to a couple of those and it's fun. Actually a girl I know, Lily...I think ya'll connected is doing great but she says women are shy...and I'm out there when it comes to S.E.X. so I know I'd embarrass someone LOL.

I know some ladies too who are also knocking it out of the park with their direct sales business but like you, I don't see myself doing it...but never say never right?

Thanks for stopping by girlfriend! Happy Hump Day!

krantcents 09/18/2013 6:12 p.m. #

I can see the benefits of using the internet for a direct sales business, although it is also a supplement to your own efforts too.

Corina Ramos 09/19/2013 5:23 p.m. #

Yes the internet can take a direct sales business to new heights...but you still need those people skills to communicate with customers.

Glad you stopped by to share your thoughts! Happy Thursday!

• Harleena Singh

Harleena Singh 09/19/2013 1:30 a.m. #

Hi Corina,

Never been into direct sales, so I wouldn't really know much. But I do have my aunt as I had mentioned earlier who has her own hand made basket. Other than that there's another one who is into Tupperware, which is also a kind of direct sale I think. The only thing I don't like much about it is that you really need to make an effort to sell the things to people - because no one would know you are selling it unless you make an effort to reach out to them, isn't it? I wonder if anyone can do such sales business or it's only suitable to some kind of people who have that push in them :)

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day :)

Corina Ramos 09/19/2013 5:48 p.m. #

One definitely needs to have a drive for sales and have a thick layer of skin because you will be rejected a lot, lol.

I love Tupperware! I still have a set my mom had waaay back then :). You have some awesome women role models Harleena, no wonder you rock!

Thanks for stopping by!

• donna@blogbydonna.com

donna@blogbydonna.com 09/20/2013 8:38 a.m. #

I have several friends who do direct selling - Mary Kay, Thirty-One, and Oragami Owl, come to mind. They are awesome at it, it's just not something I'd be cut out for. I do have a friend that was able to do a Pampered Chef party completely online or by catalog - a virtual party. I could possibly do that. :)

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 09/20/2013 12:42 p.m. #

Thanks for sharing these! Also think about who you would sell these items to. If you belong to any clubs or religious organizations you can often sell to them.

• IrishCarter

IrishCarter 09/21/2013 8:33 p.m. #

Great article and helpful resource for those wanting to go into business for themselves Corina.

I would love to read an article on your site about virtual assistants and confidentiality and the types of work you can rely on them for.

Irish

• Adrienne

Adrienne 09/22/2013 3:47 p.m. #

Hey Cori,

Yep, you've got to have a think skin to be in direct sales. I've tried and done horribly and trust me, most products don't sell themselves. Oh people may be interested in them but you still have to push them to spend that money so I haven't found that the easiest thing to be a part of.

Affiliate marketing is much better in my opinion even though some people still have to make that decision to buy. It's that way with everyone I believe.

I know there are plenty of people that enjoy this so you've probably helped them with this decision. Great shares and great companies too.

~Adrienne