5 Healthy Ways to Deal With Stress

healthy ways to deal with stress

Do you have days where everything just seems wonderful, and other days where nothing seems to go your way and all you want to do is cry, or worse yet, scream? It seems no matter how hard we try, stress seems to work its way into our lives. Somedays stress follows us around like a lost puppy. And no matter how well organized we are and how productive we are, stress continues to find a way to cloud our judgement, make our muscles ache, and even cause us to lose sleep at night.  Unfortunately we can’t just snap our fingers and make stress disappear. But we can find ways to deal with stress, and by that I mean healthy ways to deal with it.

Stress can play tricks with your mind. It can make you feel angry, lonely, or hopeless. It can cause you to think of things, or do things that you wouldn’t normally do, such as yell at someone, slam doors, cry, feel like running away and hiding, or just feel downright miserable. And if left untreated, stress can lead to all kinds of illnesses, such as depression, autoimmune diseases, and heart attacks.

If you feel like stress has invaded your life and overstayed its welcome, here are five ways to say good bye to stress, even if it is just temporarily.

Never Be Afraid to Ask for Help

Knowing when to ask for help is so important. Whether you are stressed out about something that happened at work, or having too much to do at home, asking for help will make a huge difference.

Think about who you could ask for help in different situations. Do you have a friend that could watch your kids for a few hours so that you can take a break?

Can you attend counselling sessions to talk about the things that stress you out, such as your job, or a lack of money? Maybe you are dealing with an illness in your family or the death of a loved one. Talking about these things can really help you work through them in a healthy way.

Be a Kid Again – Laugh and Have Fun

Everyone says that as adults we often forget to laugh and just have fun. Laughing is actually one of the best medicines out there, and it doesn’t cost you a thing.

Read a funny book, watch comedy shows, or go to Improv shows.

Go skating or skiing. Try ziplining or, one of my favorites, whitewater rafting.

Any healthy activities that allow you to laugh and have fun again.

Give Yourself a Break

While it is very nice to take a one or two week vacation, sometimes our lives simply do not allow us to do that. If that is the case for you try to take a mini-vacation.  Even one or two nights away from your normal routine will make a huge difference.

When you feel stressed you tire easily, and your muscles feel tight and sore. Instead of simply putting up with it or taking one pain killer or muscle relaxant after another, treat yourself to a professional massage or chiropractor appointment. If you can do both on the same day, that’s even better.

Pay Close Attention to Your Diet

A healthy diet is even more important when we feel stressed out. Drinking lots of water and eating lots of fruits and veggies helps our bodies function properly. And when it functions well we feel lighter and more relaxed.

Vitamins play a very important role in your diet. While you may think that you are getting all the vitamins you need from the foods you eat, chances are good that you are not getting enough of each vitamin.

That is where vitamin supplements come in. B vitamins seriously help reduce stress.

A tablespoon of magnesium before bed will put your mind at ease and allow you to sleep for at least eight hours straight.

Protein, first thing in the morning, will help you feel happy and relaxed, as will a strong dose of vitamin D.

And when we feel happy and relaxed there is no room left for stress.

Be Alone or With Friends

Some people are happiest when they have quiet time to rest, read a book, do a puzzle, work on a hobby, or whatever. They truly enjoy their alone time.

Others find that when they are around good friends their stress just disappears. They enjoy chatting and laughing with their buddies, and the comfort and support of their friends makes them feel alive and happy.

You already know what works best for you. So whether it is for five minutes a day or a few hours each day, make time for yourself, and say good bye to stress.

Comments

krantcents 09/30/2013 5:39 p.m. #

My solution is always exercise! I find a release in exercise which can be a s simple as a long walk or a bicycle ride.

Sicorra 10/04/2013 5:30 p.m. #

I love going for walks as well, especially this time of the year.

• Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies

Christy Garrett @ Uplifting Famiilies 09/30/2013 10:22 p.m. #

Asking for help is my biggest issue. These are useful and helpful tips, thank you for the reminder.

Sicorra 10/04/2013 5:31 p.m. #

Sometimes we forget to ask for help or sometimes we are just too nervous to ask. But it does make a difference if we are really stressed out.

• Sue Neal

Sue Neal 10/04/2013 5:46 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra - like your previous commenter, I think exercise can also be a great stress-buster.

Sicorra 10/04/2013 5:31 p.m. #

Exercise can help a lot.

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 10/04/2013 10:51 a.m. #

Great tips, Sicorra! Exercise and diet are important to me. My team teases me they can tell when I miss my morning workout. And honestly, I can tell it too. :) Stress is always going to be there, but being able to handle it is key. Otherwise it can really wear you out.

Sicorra 10/04/2013 5:33 p.m. #

Yes, being able to deal with it is so important. And sometimes in our lives we will feel pretty stress free and other times we can feel overwhelmed with stress. Your regular diet and exercise is a good way to try and keep things at an even level.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 10/04/2013 3:10 p.m. #

The perfect post for me, Sicorra! Stress seems to be ruling my life lately and I have no one to blame but myself. :) I'm making my life far more stressful than it really is and I need to stop it! My best way to de-stress is snuggling with Max (I know this surprises you, not!) and playing with him. He always makes me laugh and if you can laugh, then everything is going to be okay. I also think journaling is helpful and keeping a gratitude list. I am not always good at keeping up with those lists but when I find myself super-stressed, it's really helpful.

Sicorra 10/04/2013 5:37 p.m. #

I'm sorry to hear that Tanya! I sensed something was up. I think our lives go in cycles where we have periods where it is easy and periods where it is difficult and we can't get out of our funk.

Good thing you have Max to play with. It is a known fact that people that play with their pets have lower stress levels.

Hope you feel better :-) Going home for Christmas will probably make a huge difference for you. Having something fun to look forward to is very good for our health.

• CarolB

CarolB 10/05/2013 5:51 a.m. #

Great tips Sicorra. Being a total Type A personality, living with a Type A personality and now having two kids who tend towards the Type A personality, managing our stress levels is a daily process. By nature, we all tend to stress over things that we probably shouldn't, and as a result it seems like at least one of us is in a "high stress" mode. I am trying to teach my boys better stress management, as I have learned over the years. Not that I'm always successful in my own management!

• Ellen M. Gregg

Ellen M. Gregg 10/05/2013 10:29 a.m. #

That's a great list, Sicorra. Reiki helps me to manage stress, along with meditation and healthy eating. (I'm so glad you mentioned healthy eating. Food <i>can</i> act as medicine.) :-)

• IrishCarter

IrishCarter 10/05/2013 12:37 p.m. #

Oh my goodness....these are all absolutely fantastic ideas to help with anxiety and stress. I am learning to be alone more, rest and ask for help more. Thanks for sharing such an important topic.

Irish of Dedicated 2 Life

Corina Ramos 10/05/2013 7:31 p.m. #

Did I need to read this post! This week has definitely put me to the test. There were stressors coming at me from all angles!

I like to de-stress by getting on the treadmill in the evening. I hate getting started by it feels great when I'm done.

What I love about these suggestions is that they are so easy to do and doesn't cost anything...my favorite price is free-99 :).

You know I'm not taking any supplements and it's high time I start. Goodness knows I can use the energy. Mario likes to drink those energy drinks but I can't find a taste for them.

The one that's most challenging is finding alone time...and you know about that :).

Great post Sicorra, thanks for sharing it with us! Hope you're having a great weekend...catch up soon!

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 10/05/2013 11:47 p.m. #

Thanks for the great reminders! Sometimes just getting out in nature helps me a lot. Breathing in fresh air and observing the natural world is rejuvenating. Exercise and getting at least 7 hours sleep helps too.

• Arelis Cintron

Arelis Cintron 10/08/2013 1:19 p.m. #

This is so true, in the beginning of the year I was so busy ...non stop; when I started taking Sundays as a day of rest from everything it helped out so much. When we do too much it really does effect our health. I try to stay on top of it.

Great tips, especially laughing and having fun. I try and laugh always!

#ImEveryWoman