Five Easy Start-Up Businesses to Launch Just In Time For The Holidays

easy start up businesses to launch

I’m sure with the impending Holiday season you’re thinking about ways to make money from home. Or maybe you’ve thought about starting your own online or home-based business but you’re waiting for the Holiday rush to pass because of money reasons (been there, done that too).

I’ve got great news for you my friend! You can still make your dream come true. I’m here to share with you three easy start-up businesses to launch just in time for the holidays!

Residential Cleaning Service

You know there are going to be plenty of Holiday parties and the hostess is not going to have to time clean up before the party or afterward for that matter. This is the perfect time to launch your cleaning business and get some clients.

All it takes is some starter cleaning products you can get at your local wholesale club and a social media page like Facebook to get it off the ground. Don’t forget your coupons. You can save money on start-up costs by using them. And if you can claim expenses on your income tax return, save those receipts!

Personal Gift Wrapper

You don’t even have to wait until December for this one. Some folks have already begun their Christmas shopping. And just like the hostess with the mostess who won’t have time for cleaning up after her parties, she might not have time to wrap presents either and that’s where you come in.

All it takes is some cool gift wrapping paper, a great pair of scissors, tape, and your ideas for creating a beautifully wrapped present so cool no one will want to open it! Yes, I’m going there again with social media…just post an update on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest about what you’ve got to offer. Then ask your friends and family to spread the word on their feeds to reach more potential customers.

Freelance Photographer

You can’t have a Christmas or New Year’s Eve party without taking pictures of all the festivities. Another home-based business where you can gain clients during the holidays is freelance photography. You can capture those memories at reasonable rates to give the competition a run for their money.

Other Ideas – How About Catering?

The hostess is going to be too busy preparing for the party and I’m sure she would love a caterer who can cook great food and who has great rates!  If you can cook up some dishes like Tamales, a popular Hispanic dish, you’ve got yourself a head start.

Last year, we ordered 10 dozen tamales for our family party. At $9.50 a dozen that’s $95. When I went to pick them up, there were 5 more people there waiting for big orders. Let’s say we were all there to pick up 10 dozen, that’s $570 right there, not to mention other orders she had to fill. Tell me that doesn’t sound like good money!

Personal Shopper

Some folks don’t like shopping or dealing with crowds during the holidays. Offer your personal shopping services by posting them on your social media networks and asking your friends and family to share your services with everyone they know. Even if you wouldn’t hire someone to do your shopping, it doesn’t mean that others won’t. In fact many people do hire personal shoppers, especially for Christmas shopping.

Over To You

So there you have it. You got five home-based business ideas you can start during the holidays without the high start-up costs. So let’s dish and share. Can you think of other businesses we can run from home? I’d love to read about it. Fill out the comments section below and get some ideas going.

There are lots of folks out there ready to be their own boss but they need some ideas to get their creativity wheels spinning. I would really appreciate it if you’d share this post in your social networks!

corina

Corina Ramos

Corina is a work-from-home mom rolling with the punches while trying to balance a family and an online business. She is dealing with teens, grey hair, and wrinkles all at the same time! She recently launched a new blog known as Not Now Mom's Busy which talks about teen issues, juggling family life with work life, living on a budget, and so much more.

Follow Corina on Twitter at Corina Ramos or Facebook.

Comments

DC @ Young Adult Money 10/16/2013 7:04 a.m. #

I like the freelance photography option. I have a number of friends who do this is a side hustle but want to eventually do it full-time. There seems to be a lot of competition, but I think of it similar to how I think of blogging - there is so much demand for the service that there is always room for "one more" photographer.

Corina Ramos 10/16/2013 11:17 a.m. #

There sure is DC and if they market it just so they can build their name rather quickly.

The trick is to offer something the competition doesn't. If it were me I'd be a traveling photographer and capture photos while the project is living in the moment.

Happy Wednesday DC!

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 10/16/2013 10:49 a.m. #

Some great ideas, Corina! As much as I enjoy cooking, sometimes I just don't have the time during the holidays and I have relied on caterers before. They definitely make life a bit easier and so many people have a special or unique dish that they can make and sell.

Corina Ramos 10/16/2013 2:46 p.m. #

Ugh, I wish I could have a caterer but the hubs expects home-cooked meals on the holidays. In all fairness I don't blame him because lately there hasn't been much of that :).

I wouldn't mind letting someone else do the cooking for a change :). Thanks for stopping by Shannon! Happy Wednesday hon!

• Corinne

Corinne 10/16/2013 11:27 a.m. #

The personal gift wrapper one made me laugh. I hate wrapping gifts so I can definitely see the value in this. These are some great ideas that would work very well during the holiday season. Great post girl!

Corina Ramos 10/16/2013 2:55 p.m. #

Girlfriend these are all on my wishlist but if I hired someone from each of these I'd be broke for the holidays and there won't be any dinner or gifts, LOL!

Glad you enjoyed the post Corinne!

• Rebecca @ Stapler Confessions

Rebecca @ Stapler Confessions 10/16/2013 1:50 p.m. #

You could send cards for people -- they give you their address list, in whatever form, and you handwrite or print out labels for all of their cards.

Corina Ramos 10/16/2013 3:09 p.m. #

That's a great idea Rebecca! Lots of people use those prepaid stickers with the addresses on them but I think it's more personal if you hand write it.

Of course, no one needs to know you paid someone to do it ;). It's the thought that counts!

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts here! Happy Wednesday!

• Donna Merrill

Donna Merrill 10/16/2013 6:26 p.m. #

Hi Corina,

These are great ideas! If I had the time I would love to be a personal decorator. I just love putting things together and decorating.

I used to live in a retro home. I designed it with original retro furniture. So when the holidays came around, of course I searched every antique store to purchase retro decorations. It worked so well.

I can see myself doing this and having a blast. But, time is not allowing me to do it. Or can I squeeze that one in? He He He

-Donna

Corina Ramos 10/17/2013 12:19 p.m. #

Hi Donna,

I would love to be a decorator for the holidays. Doing up a tree and hanging lights...talk about being in a happy place at all times!

I love the old decorations. I'm not into the plastic ornaments and I love the lights with those big light bulbs...now those are Christmas lights!

I think if it means spreading cheer everywhere it's worth squeezing it in :).

Thanks for stopping by Donna! Love that idea! Happy Thursday :)

krantcents 10/16/2013 6:38 p.m. #

Some interesting choices! I have done catering in my former life, but I was not the cook.

Corina Ramos 10/17/2013 12:25 p.m. #

I like to cook but not sure if I could do catering...sounds like a lot of work.

I could do personal shopping...get that retail therapy without affecting my bank account :).

Thanks for stopping by!

• Lisa E. @ Lisa Vs. the Loans

Lisa E. @ Lisa Vs. the Loans 10/17/2013 5:03 p.m. #

I might have to give gift-wrapping for money a shot! I actually enjoy wrapping presents and I know a lot of friends/family who don't enjoy it at all. Great idea!

Corina Ramos 10/21/2013 5:43 p.m. #

Hey there Lisa!

If you've got the knack, the passion and have the supplies, I say go for it girlfriend!

Happy Monday and thanks for stopping by!

• CarolB

CarolB 10/18/2013 1:16 p.m. #

He Corina and Sicorra, great ideas! I especially like that personal shopper one. Hmmmm, get paid while shopping - sounds like a winner! I've also looked into content writing for small businesses - though I have yet to jump in.

Corina Ramos 10/21/2013 7:16 p.m. #

Hey there Carol!

Girl that is the ultimate retail therapy! Shopping on someone else's dime and it doesn't hurt me or my credit card :).

The only downfall is I can't keep the items but as long as I can shop :).

Happy Monday lady!

• Ellen M. Gregg

Ellen M. Gregg 10/21/2013 11:54 a.m. #

Great ideas, Cori! :-) I'd add two others:
      1) Holiday decorator - Decorate people's houses for the holidays, using their own decorations. For some people, they may love to decorate, and have plenty of decorations, but not enough time to make it happen in a beautiful way. Enter their personal holiday decorator. (Bonus: they can hire you back to un-decorate after the holidays.)
      2) Grocery shopper - I love to grocery shop, but I know a lot of people who can't stand it. They resent the time it takes, having to deal with masses of people and long lines. The shopper could even include pantry-stocking and -rotation as part of the service, to be certain items with the soonest end-date are used first. Aaaand... :-) ... they could offer a quarterly refrigerator clean-up/clean-out service.

My work here is done. ;-) Have a great day! :-)

Corina Ramos 10/21/2013 7:24 p.m. #

Thanks for adding these suggestions Ellen!

I think decorating for the holidays has to be one of the happiest jobs there is. How can you be in any other kind of mood.

And then grocery shopping...I love food...nuff said :).

Thank you for your suggestions! You made this post even better girlfriend!

Happy Monday to you!

• Fig @ Figuring Money Out

Fig @ Figuring Money Out 11/26/2013 11:46 p.m. #

Great ideas! I know the photography one is big around this time of year as people get engaged, send Christmas cards, want family portraits, etc.

I also love Ellen's idea of holiday decorating. That would be such a fun gig but I know it's tiring for some people so there would definitely be opportunity.