Filing A Divorce Online - Is It Really As Easy As It Looks?

filing a divorce online

The array of activities that can now be done online is astounding- we shop, bank, work and play on the World Wide Web spending more and more of our time on it. When trying to work out how to file for divorce you may have discovered that even this service is being offered online.

But can legal matters such as this really be conducted on the Internet, and is it as easy as it looks?

There are now a number of dedicated websites that enable you to file a divorce. Here are some points for consideration to help you make an informed decision about whether to use them.

State Requirements

It is important to read up on state requirements before you file a divorce online, otherwise you could end up wasting time and money.

Some states will only grant a divorce if you have lived there for a certain amount of time, for example. Do some research first and ensure that the website you choose has documents that are customized to your state.

Advice and Guidance

Divorce websites cannot typically offer advice when it comes to complex financial issues such as how assets will be split and how support for children will be divided. These situations can become incredibly messy, so if you are unsure what you or your children are entitled to or how assets will be split it is best to seek legal advice first. Once you have the details worked out you can still complete forms online to save money.

The low cost is what attracts many people to filing for divorce online instead of going down a traditional route. By cutting out hefty legal fees websites can indeed save you hundreds of dollars. A relatively low fixed amount is typically paid through a website whereas hourly solicitor fees can really add up. The most important thing in terms of money is to check for hidden costs. Go through a reliable site with a solid reputation and ensure that fees are transparent.

Online divorce websites are generally best used for the final stages of a divorce rather than the whole process. By doing your research first and finalizing the formalities, though, you can then save money by doing the filing online.

DC @ Young Adult Money 10/21/2013 5:45 a.m. #

It's interesting how many things you can do online these days. It only makes sense to be able to make legal filings online, and divorce is no different.

Sicorra 10/21/2013 9:08 p.m. #

True. This morning I received an email from an online business that files incorporation documents. All done online. They usually charge $99 but for small business week this week they are only charging one dollar. So yes, there are so many legal filings you can do online.

• Kylie Ofiu

Kylie Ofiu 10/21/2013 5:46 p.m. #

I filed my divorce papers online, then just needed to attend the actual court date, which was not compulsory but improved my chances of my divorce being granted. WAY cheaper, quicker and easier than using a lawyer, plus the 7 people all before me on the court day had lawyers, every single one of them was denied or adjourned for things like papers not being filed correctly, so even when you hire a lawyer, it doesn't always work right.

Sicorra 10/21/2013 9:12 p.m. #

What a story Kylie. All those people being denied or adjourned when they were paying big money for a professional.

Good for you for doing the majority of it online. I am all about quick, easy, cheap, divorces (hopefully only one in my lifetime though). Thanks so much for your comment!

krantcents 10/21/2013 6:04 p.m. #

You might as well make divorce as easy as marriage! It may increase the divorce rate! LOL!!!!!

Sicorra 10/21/2013 9:16 p.m. #

Heck, when it is time to get out, it is time to get out. LOL Why not make it quick and easy...

Corina Ramos 10/21/2013 7:32 p.m. #

Hey Sicorra.

Well, You're right about the lack of guidance. While I was researching for assistance I wasn't sure whether to do with children or without since my kids are adults I had to fill out both and use the one they asked for :).

It is cheaper to file on our own but we are taking a big chance on doing something wrong so sometimes it's turns out to be worth the cost but a tough decision no less.

Great tips my friend! Miss ya!

Sicorra 10/21/2013 9:20 p.m. #

Your situation was\is complicated so I understand how a mistake could affect your situation, with all the different people involved. In your case it is good to have advice. But for cases like mine where it was just me and him, it was pretty straightforward, and had online been available back then, I would have done it too.

• Ernest Yang

Ernest Yang 10/26/2013 5:53 p.m. #

Wow! Online divorce, the things you can do online today. Filing divorce is getting easier. It is cheaper and less complicated. Sad to say, that maybe these things are the ones that contribute to higher rates of divorce couples.