When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Good Use of Them

when life gives you lemons make good use of them

It's ridiculously unfair how idioms characterize the bitter setbacks of life as somehow similar to the sourness of lemons -- after all, the lemon simply has to be one of the healthiest fruits in the world. When life gives you lemons... rejoice!

Why Lemons?

Lemons are simply super. Packed with antioxidants and nutrients like Vitamin C, potassium, iron, magnesium, and more, it's definitely a necessary addition to any diet. Add to this the bioflavonoids, limonene, and pectin that strengthen the immune system and you see just how important a lemon can be to keep a body healthy.

How To Drink Lemon Juice?

The only problem is that since it's acidic, it can be difficult to take on its own and might even harm teeth enamel. Lemon juice needs to be diluted in warm water. Similar to a tea, squeeze half a lemon into one glass of lukewarm water every morning and consume at least 15 to 30 minutes before you eat breakfast.

This warm lemon drink is even more important when you are traveling and most likely eating foods that you don't normally eat, such as spicy foods or more sweets. Also works very well after a night of parties or a pub crawl.

What Are The Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Juice?

It Wakes You Up And Gives You Energy

Lemons are excellent first thing in the morning. The zesty citrus wakes up the mind and the body with its flavor, plus it gives the body an energy boost the moment it hits the digestive tract.

Bonus: Lemon is a mood enhancer, too. It helps improve a person's mood, eliminating anxiety and depression with its fresh and relaxing scent.

It Regulates Your Body's pH Balance

A body with unbalanced pH is more likely to be ill. A lot of people assume that lemon would not be good for pH balance because it's acidic, but once metabolized in the body it actually helps alkalize the blood and improve pH balance. If you have high levels of uric acid (a common cause of joint inflammation), lemons can help lessen the acidity of the body and therefore defend against painfully inflamed joints.

It Helps Your Body's Digestive Process

One of the greatest health benefits of lemons is how it helps your digestive system. If you suffer from indigestion, bloating, or constipation, you need to try lemon juice. It stimulates digestion, encourages bile production, and generally just helps your body work the way it is suppose to work.

It Helps You Lose Weight

Due to its useful nature in encouraging healthy digestion, it's inevitable that lemon juice helps you lose weight. Add to that the fact that it's a natural diuretic, and therefore improves the body's ability to cleanse itself. Another thing: lemon juice has pectin fiber, which means it's able to lessen the hunger cravings that lead to binge snacking.

It Detoxes Your Body

Lemon juice helps the liver produce bile faster, which in turn means the body is able to flush out toxins a lot faster and easier. The body's enzyme functions are strengthened and unwanted toxins are washed straight out with urine.

It Improves Your Body's Hydration Levels

Due to its nature as a diuretic, some people may assume that lemon juice can dehydrate them. This is simply not true. The combination of warm water and lemon juice increases hydration and replaces lost fluids.

It Strengthens Your Immune System

First of all, lemon juice has Vitamin C, which simply has to be the most well-known immune booster. This means lemons are excellent for preventing colds, the flu, and other similar illnesses. Lemon juice also has potassium, which means it helps protect the nervous system.

It Speeds Up Recovery

Everyday your body is damaged, from small wounds to gradual tissue erosion. Vitamin C in lemon juice is perfect for maintaining the body's function and speeding up the recovery time of tissues, cartilage, and even bones.

It Clears Your Skin

The antioxidants in lemon juice work to prevent oxidation and therefore keeps skin looking younger for a much longer span of time. Also, since lemon juice is great for detoxing, this means that your skin will less likely be prone to developing acne. The internal workings of your body definitely affect the way your skin looks. If you get rid of internal toxins, your skin gets a beautiful, healthy glow to reflect this.

Over To You

Have you discovered the health benefits of lemon juice?

• FI Pilgrim

FI Pilgrim 10/28/2013 6:06 a.m. #

I certainly don't drink very much lemon juice, but I've been wondering recently if there's a way for me to get up in the morning and be alert without drinking so much coffee... I might have to try this out!

Sicorra 10/28/2013 4:33 p.m. #

You might want to give it a try. I don't drink coffee but I don't think a cup is bad for you. Perhaps you can do a hot lemon in the morning and then a coffee a bit later, and see if that boosts your energy.

DC @ Young Adult Money 10/28/2013 6:53 a.m. #

I use it when cooking, but I do not drink lemon juice regularly. Sometimes I have a lemon in my water, which adds a bit of flavor to something that is otherwise bland.

Sicorra 10/28/2013 4:35 p.m. #

I use to never drink warm water with lemon juice either, but once I saw the health benefits from it I started drinking it daily.

Corina Ramos 10/28/2013 7:28 a.m. #

Wow Sicorra,

I didn't know lemons had all these benefits. Growing up I used to eat lemons. I'd peel it and add a little salt to it. I know it wasn't the healthiest way to eat it but I loved it that way.

After reading your post I'm going to start including lemon in our diet and cook with it more. Especially if it'll help me lose some weight, that's a big plus!

Thanks for sharing this! Hope you're off to a great start of this new week. Catch up soon.

Sicorra 10/28/2013 4:41 p.m. #

So you had lemon, and salt, and what happened to the Tequila? Or did you just leave that bit of info out? ;-)

Hot water with lemon juice may be an acquired taste. It is so helpful though.

Corina Ramos 11/02/2013 3:28 p.m. #

You're too funny!

Well at that time there was no tequila because I didn't know about it. But when I found out, woo hoo!! :)

Girl I will try anything that will help me lose weight :). Still have 20 pounds to go and hit a plateau :(

Hope you're having a great weekend my friend! Talk to ya soon :)

Shannon @ The Heavy Purse 10/28/2013 10:34 a.m. #

Lemons are fantastic and are plentiful here in Southern California. Sadly, we don't have any lemon tree in our yard so we have to buy them but they have so many great benefits. More than I even realized! I think I need to pick up some more. :)

Sicorra 10/28/2013 4:45 p.m. #

Shannon, that would be wonderful to have a lemon tree in your own backyard. Could you guys plant one if you wanted to? Here lemons are $1 each which I think is kind of high. I remember when they were 29 cents each.

• Jaha Knight

Jaha Knight 10/29/2013 9:34 a.m. #

I participated in a detox and a main ingredient was lemon juice. I used that, honey and cayenne pepper. I did it for 15 days with water (of course) and the juicing cleanse (different one) uses hot water, ginger and lemon in the morning. It does have great detox properties.

Sicorra 10/29/2013 1:40 p.m. #

Wow...thanks for mentioning that. I wonder if I would be able to drink cayenne pepper everyday. I have read that it speeds up your metabolism too. How did you feel during and after your cleanse?

• Jaha Knight

Jaha Knight 10/29/2013 2 p.m. #

I felt fine during the juicing cleanse and even better afterwards. I only lost 5 pounds as opposed to the 15 I lost on the other cleanse. But with the first (cayenne, water, honey & lemon) I felt sick all the time and was always kicking that sucker back. But my results are probably atypical because I have PCOS. But each time I felt like something worked. The biggest challenge is staying off of dairy (which both recommend) because I'm such an ice cream and cheese fanatic. If I could do those things I'd probably be able to keep the weight off for a few more weeks, lol.

• donna@blogbydonna.com

donna@blogbydonna.com 11/01/2013 7:09 a.m. #

I love lemons! When I was younger I'd eat them often. I love making homemade lemonade, but have never thought about putting it in warm water first thing in the mornings. But will be trying it now. Thank you for sharing this,Sicorra, since there were benefits I was not aware of! Yay!

Sicorra 11/03/2013 2:32 p.m. #

Thanks Donna! I love lemonade too and it took me quite a while to give this warm drink of lemon a try. I saw others doing it and thought how could they? But then I tried it and loved it.

• Arelis Cintron

Arelis Cintron 11/01/2013 10:29 a.m. #

I've always heard of the benefits of drinking lemon juice but was concerned about the acidity. But drinking it in warm water or even adding it to my tea is so easy! Thanks!

Sicorra 11/03/2013 2:33 p.m. #

Adding to your tea is a wonderful idea. You are really only adding a few tablespoons either to warm water or your tea so the acidity doesn't hurt you at all.

• Sue Neal

Sue Neal 11/01/2013 10:59 a.m. #

Hi - I like lemons, but mainly in cheesecakes and lemon meringue pies! I'm not sure I could cope with drinking lemon juice as you describe, even though it's diluted - it's so acidic. I wasn't aware of all these health benefits, though - that's very interesting. Maybe if I just eat lots of lemon meringue pies - my husband makes a cracker ;)

Sicorra 11/03/2013 2:36 p.m. #

Sue, I felt the exact same way - I saw others doing it and thought that there was no way I would like drinking pure lemon juice in warm water. I was so surprised when I actually did really like it. It was not sour tasting at all.

• Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr 11/01/2013 4:18 p.m. #

I love lemons! Okay, mostly in lemon bars or lemon meringue pie! I didn't realize it was so good for your skin or hydration. I am definitely going to have to drink more lemon water, although I do prefer it chilled over warm but for those benefits - I can woman up and drink it! Have a great weekend!

Sicorra 11/03/2013 2:37 p.m. #

I prefer it cold to Tanya, and of course in pie :-) But once I tried it with warm water I wondered why I waited so long. It really does taste good and it works miracles.

• Maggie@SquarePennies

Maggie@SquarePennies 11/01/2013 10:54 p.m. #

I have to say that diluted lemon juice really does wake you up in the morning! And I'm a devoted coffee drinker. I've also substituted grapefruit juice for orange juice in the morning. It also wakes you up but with less sugar than orange juice. Not everyone can take the extra tartness of the grapefruit juice, so dilute lemon juice might be better for them. Great post!

Sicorra 11/03/2013 2:39 p.m. #

I use to drink orange juice everyday but gave that up about 6 years ago. Grapefruit juice is nice too. Pure lemon juice in water is not as tart as it sounds, but it may take some getting use to for some folks.

• CarolB

CarolB 11/03/2013 4:03 a.m. #

Wow! I knew lemons were good for you, but I didn't know they were this good! I didn't realize all these benefits from drinking lemon juice. Time to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Sicorra 11/03/2013 2:41 p.m. #

Thanks Carol ! If you give it a try I think you will enjoy it. I put off trying it for way too many years. I even remember seeing a woman drinking it on a cruise I went on many years ago and I wondered why she was drinking something as boring as lemon juice in warm water, but now I know why.

• Bren

Bren 11/06/2013 10:24 a.m. #

I didn't realize lemon juice had so many health benefits! Thanks for shedding light on that Sicorra! Gladly passing this one along!

• Lisa

Lisa 11/09/2013 6:01 a.m. #

Your title really got me - I didn't think it would really be ABOUT lemons...LOL. Amazing stats on the benefits. I used to love them as a child and ate them with a little sugar and my sister loved them with salt.I should go back to that to lose some weight. Maybe adding it to water each day. You got me thinking Sicorra!